Videotron gets okay to offer French VOD in HD - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-12-11, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Videotron gets okay to offer French VOD in HD

In a broadcasting decision announced today, the CRTC has approved an application by Videotron which would allow the cable company to offer French-language video-on-demand programming in high definition (HD) format.

Read the decision.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-12-13, 02:28 PM
Rookie

How come Videotron is slow compared to the rest of Canada offering Movie network on Demand? Its a bit ridiculous now.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-12-25, 03:09 PM

For years there have been a few HD movies in the 900 video on demand section.

While there are many SD channels in english and french for Pay Per View, the availabilty of HD PPV channels has been very skimpy, except for a few adult movie offerings at night.

So I'm wondering how Videotron intends to improve HD VOD.

By expanding the 900 section to include many more HD films?

And is HD VOD more likely to fly compared to HD PPV which up to now seems to have drawn little interest?

And can either HD VOD or HD PPV match the quality of BLU-RAY?

Montreal

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2008-12-27, 12:46 PM

I presume that the reason they are still not offering TMN On demand is that TMN insist on offering that service free for TMN subscriber while Videotron, which is selling the service WAY cheaper that anyone else in Canada wants to offer it with a cost (like they do with Super Ecran).

Although I'd like to get it, and free, I'd rather continue paying less for the main service than them raising the price to have the VOD included for everyone, including people who wouldn't want it. I prefer getting a choice of taking a service or not, than being obligated to take it.

Remember that Videotron is the only company in Canada offering ALL their channels a la carte (except for basic channel and the ones that are regulated by the CRTC to be offered in bundle). Everyone else has some channels that only comes in packages and I think it is great that they insist on offering all the services a la carte so people only get what they want.

Now I would really like TMN to let Videotron get it and charge for it...

Tags
high definition , videotron , vod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in