PVR on Illico keeps mising last minute - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-11-29, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

PVR on Illico keeps mising last minute

Has anyone else run into this problem?
The Scientific Atlanta PVR keeps missing the last minute of many shows that were selected in the program guide for recording.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-11-29, 08:23 AM

I have the same problem here and this happen since we switch to standard time. And that issue makes that these show start recording one minute sooner to.

Maybe we should complain for this at Videotron. If they got enough complaint, they will put the clock back one minute
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-11-29, 10:35 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I assume you're aware of the fact that some programmes no longer start/stop on the hour or half hour...

If the clock is not accurate, then you need to contact Videotron and have them adjust the clock to the proper time. Here's a link to the proper time:

http://time5.nrc.ca/JavaClock/timeDisplayWE.shtml

In the meantime, extend the recordings by a minute or two when possible to get the whole programme.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-11-29, 02:28 PM

According to 57's clock, Illico is exactly on time. For as long as I've had an Illico, I've been using it to set all my other clocks because it is so precise.

However, check if the show ended later by one minute. A lot of U.S. shows often finish one or two minutes later. The problem is not with the clock, but with the guide. You can check proper start-end times of shows on zap2it.com

I often complained to Videotron without any results. The last three times I complained to the CRTC: they sent Videotron a letter ordering them to correct the problem. Much easier. One thing though... My problem was compounded by the fact Videotron simsubed another show over the last minutes (or put the real show over the last minutes of a simsub.

Last edited by 57; 2008-11-29 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Changed Hugh to 57
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-12-01, 07:08 AM

This hasn't been a problem until last week since most of the shows I record end well before the hour but I did loose the last minute of Heroes this week.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-12-01, 10:44 AM

This was happening with House since the beginning of the Season. Fox new 'marketing' was running House with a lot of advertisement from 8hPM to approx. 9h07PM, witch permit them to show their new show Fringe with less commercial and even advertise it as such...

However in the videotron guide House was still from 8hPM to 9hPM, so we were missing a great portion of the show.

For the first time, last week in the guide House was showed to be from 8hPM to approx 9h07PM.

So it is probably a guide error not a PVR malfunction.

Stef...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-12-02, 10:14 PM

Exactly,

Tonight, House ended later than 9:00.

Of course, people at Videotron are not aware about this even if we call to complain or write about it on different forums.

zap2it.com always has the right time. So the real hours are known. Even some Quebec French shows are right on zap2it.com when the PVR's guide is wrong. Go figure!

You could manually correct the time, but the PVR programmers seem to think they are more intelligent than we are: the programming resets the time.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-12-02, 10:52 PM

Yeah, schedule is becoming a pain...

I missed the last minutes of House... Happens with NCIS too, and Bones last week, and Heroes last week.

I tried to use the contact form at videotron.com and of course, it does not work (Error 500 page not found).

I did try to change the scheduled reccording from LIST - Programme (in english probably schedule? -Choice A anyway).

Problem is, modifications are not saved .It revert to the normal hours. I did manage to program Robot chicken in a 1 straight reccording (22h30 to 23h on teletoon) but I can't add 4 minutes to House. At the price thoses things are sold...

If there is ANY way to force them to choose a better provider for the schedule, I sure would like to know. I have compalint in the past about the bad schedule for mystery tv on weekends, and no correction yet.L&O SVU and L&O often are mixed up. And it's really frustrating to miss the last minutes of the show.

Spoiler in white after this:

Today, Cutner was just pranked by House said promised to get his consult website down, House started mocking him for this suggestion and then, nothing.ARGH!

End of spoiler

Hope it reruns this weekend on mystery. Or elsewhere ( can someone tell me where it does if it does?)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-12-03, 10:08 AM

Yep, after having House right time last week, it was back to the old 'videotron' ways... so the guide show House from 8hPM to 9hPM...

I did a couple weeks back decided to not trust the stupid people at videotron and just added Fringe to my weekly recording...

But it is becoming more and more frustrating the kind of service we get from videotron, from the guide, to the lack of new HD channel, and lets not talk about TSN2, or worse not showing Sens game in HD on SportnetHD but instead showing leafs 'regional' game in HD something that they are not allowed.

Stef...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-12-11, 02:56 PM

House is no big deal since I have been following Fringe so I laways get the end in the first minutes of my Fringe recording.

What is really annoying is amazing race. at least once every 3 episodes that news show (60 minutes I think) runs over by sometimes as much as 30 minutes. It is SO annoying. SO I miss half the show. Happened with Big Brother too.

don't get me started on trying to get somthing on Disney channel or Treehouse... you can try to add minutes at the start or end but you never now how it will work. sometimes you miss the end, sometimes you miss the opening credits. the compromise is you have 42 minute recordings of a 25-30 minutes show where you are always forwarding the beginning.

Rolando Avenda˝o
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-12-11, 03:57 PM

The problem with Amazing Race is that CBS has live sports programming on Sunday afternoons. If that runs longer, then everything else gets pushed back. If you want to record on CBS Sunday evening, you should add at least 30 minutes or record the western feed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in