Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Downloading from illico always crashes...

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  SurfBob 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever had that problem?

I have the SA8300HD box.

The access to illico menu goes very well.
I can find and select any stored programs I want from illico server.
But when make my choice and start downloading...
it takes about 2 minutes of process and then the operation crash
and I get an error message.
I've tried many times over the past weeks and I always ends up with an error message and no download completed...

When I was with on a regular contract (SD only) it aways when well, but it was also with another videotron box.

Any cue on this?

#3 ·
Thanks, but it's certainly not that easy to solve!

This unit must have been rebooted a hundrend times (if not more) since I have it. I'm not sure but I think it even reboots ifself automatically every night around 4:00 am.
It also has been totally unplugged from power a couple of times, nothing have changed, the problem is still there.
A technician from Videotron came to my house to check it, he saw the problem occur, but had no clue why this unit couldn't download any shows from the server. He told me I needed to exchange it for a new one.

Great...
The problem is, I have over 70 hours of very good HD shows that I want to keep til it becomes possible to record on Blue-Ray, or maybe just have time to finally view them in some cases.
I heard that if I change my unit, not only I will loose the shows that are on the internal disk, but I won't be able either to have access to the ones that are on the external one... :(

#4 ·
This occasionally happens to me as well but not 100% of the time! Usually if I am recording something it will cause the PRV to reboot. Try accessing 905 and see if that application (search) causes you to crash.

PS: STB = Set Top Box.

How are your signal levels? Press and hold SELECT for 5 seconds. Then press INFO. Pressing PAGE+ and PAGE- will move through the screens. Note anything in orange or red on the signal strength page.

#5 ·
Hi Jake, thanks for the infos. Been ultra busy at work lately but finally had time last night to have a look at my diag pages. I see few "unavailable" red messages here and there and for pages 22, 24, 25 and 26 they are all filled by those "unavailable" red messages. It might be just normal though... Is it?

I don't know what my signal stengh should be...
On pg 1/39, I see:
Tuner1: 1 dBmV
FDC: -5 dBmV
RDC: 44 dBmV
Are these values in the normal range?

And for channel 95, I don't know what it's supposed to do but after about 8 sec. of the loading animation, my STB just switch back to the previous channel, so I never get to see what's there...

What do you think doctor, am I normal?... ;)

#6 ·
Your signal levels look good. Just make sure none of the values on page 1 and 5 are orange (marginal) or red (bad).

The channel is 905 not 95. Perhaps that was a typo. What you will see is a search page. You can search all channels up to two weeks. You can also search the Illico on demand movies and series. If your STB is kicking you out of this channel then it almost sounds like it is not able to communicate back to the Videotron servers or the signal is too weak. This happens when there is a splitter that is interfering with the return data.

Oh and drink plenty of liquids gets lots of rest.

#7 ·
Oups sorry Jake, I've dropped a "0" in my reply. That was really channel 905 I've checked, not 95. It see it's labelled Search TV but, as I wrote, I can't access it at all. After about 8 sec. of the downloading animation, I'm brought back to the previously selected channel.

Your mention about a splitter did rang a bell though... I do have a 2GHz splitter installed by the Videotron technician. I though you had nailed it, so I took out the splitter and plugged my cable right from the wall to the STB and... no difference... :(
Still can't access 905 nor download any free show titles I choose in the illico VOD menu (ch.900).

So I guess there's either a problem with my STB or may be just an error in my service account. I try to contact Videotron to sort this out again...

Thanks for your prescription!

#9 ·
Just a little follow up on my case...
I knew it would be long and probably useless, but I've tried anyway to have my problem solved by a Videotron technician over the phone...
The process just ended up worst than I anticipated...

Close to 2 hours lost with 2 different technicians making me try downloading after rebooting the unit over and over, wich was at that time directly plugged in the wall with no splitter in the way.
Nothing to help things out since my phone line is also from Videotron... :(

As I was expecting, from what I had already tried, it was an unsuccessful big waist of time...
The only solution now: the STB need to be exchanged for another one and I will loose all my 70+ hours of HD shows, unless I copy them on DVD, downgraded in SD of course...

So just a little advice for everyone: before you start saving many precious HD shows (either on internal or external drive), make sure that all the STB fonctions are working perfectly so you will be able to keep it for a long time...

Hopefully, one day soon, we'll finally be able to make backup copies on BluRay... and at a reasonable price of course! :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.