thinking of subscribing, HD PVR questions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-09-26, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

thinking of subscribing, HD PVR questions

So im thinking of getting Illico with the HD PVR, and I've been reading alot of threads about this machine. Does the STB still have problems recording all new episodes of a particular show due to the EPG being messed up on the names or has that been solved mostly? Or has this never been as much a problem with videotron as it seems to be with Rogers? I just want to make sure that the pvr is worth the money, and not have to babysit it all the time to make sure it records shows. Can I truly set it and forget it?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-09-26, 12:47 PM

Personally I have had no issues with the recording of any shows. It's a great unit (maybe not for $550 though...)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-09-26, 01:48 PM

I have a SA8300HD and even though I have had issues this summer with the guide being incorrect (i.e., guide stated one show, another was actually shown), I suspect it has nothing to do with the hardware but rather with the guide service provider that Videotron employs. But this is easily solved by double-checking the schedule against a web listing.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-09-26, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Cool thanks alot. I agree 550$ is too much, but I saw that this week its on sale for 450$ at FS with purchase of a tv (Im looking at Samsung 40A550). I was just wondering if it was going to be worth it compared to just the regular HD STB, which is also on sale for 100$ with TV.

Right now, I have a bell sd pvr, and I would find it very difficult to go back to non PVR. I'm thinking videotron because soon I will be moving into a condo which does not allow satellite
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-09-26, 02:42 PM

I think the biggest shock you will have when switching from a Bell PVR is the lack of a "skip forward" button.

It drove me crazy for a LONG time.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-09-26, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Ya I've been reading about that (or lack thereof). Oh well, I'm sure I'll get over it. Also, I find the menu & guide on Bell appears to be much nicer overall than videotron (not sure about the 8300 though). Apparently it doe snot fit in hd and doesnt show the hd channel preview when in the guide? But I guess that is more eye candy than anything else.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-09-26, 11:03 PM

Correct, the guide is SD only. I also would really miss my PVR, there are way too many shows that I like and I don't have the time to watch them live. I got my SA8300HD on sale for $450 about three years ago and I have never seen it cheaper than that. I recently added an external 500GB hard drive and so far even with all the HD shows I am recording, there is enough room for more stuff...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-08, 10:54 PM

I am thinking about going with videotron, presently with SChoice
and Bell internet ****patico.
I am interested in the package Telephone, TV, and Internet.
are you people satisfied with the Quality of image in HD, compared to Bell or StarChoice.
and the telephone thing, can I keep the same number?
any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-09, 01:57 PM

Quote:
are you people satisfied with the Quality of image in HD, compared to Bell or StarChoice.
I have never had the chance to do a side-by-side comparison of the picture quality of Videotron versus Bell (and doubt anyone else here has) but for what I have seen on my Sony 46" LCD, I am very happy with the Videotron's picture quality for HD movies/shows/sporting events broadcast on the HD versions of TMN, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, Global, CTV, TSN, and ESPN. But of course my level of satisfaction may not be yours thus disqualifying my answer completely...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-09, 05:02 PM

Cool

Thanks,
I subscribed anyways, there are more hd cannels in french for my girlfiend
and in english also. (I'll save on one phone line & Sympatico was slow and getting expensive anyways.) email was down often this summer.
will be better speed for gaming
I'll be getting High Speed cable internet & I put my Gf phone #
on their cable phone thing.
I'll be keeping Star Choice for a while longer just downgrading to essentials
and some HD Stuff. then I can compare the two.
I got fed up this summer with all the thunderstorms it kept loosing the signal in the middle of programs or movies.
then after I have advised all my customers bye bye sympatico, and their extra phone line I have. I might keep for fax.
I decided to just go with videotron, buy the PVR thing at least they have the hdmi connection, where as SC is still dvi and other audio. (which is ok)
just will make it a tad cleaner. couple less cables involved.
They sympatico & SChoice had no offers for me so I'll just move on to videotron. I'm saving some money so thats a good thing.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-09, 05:07 PM

Location: Cisco 8642HD-Sony KDL60NX810-Denon AVR-890-Paradigm 7.1-PS3s-XboX360s-HDA2-BDT-310 3D-BDP-CX960-ATV2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillonhill View Post
I am thinking about going with videotron, presently with SChoice
and Bell internet ****patico.
I am interested in the package Telephone, TV, and Internet.
and the telephone thing, can I keep the same number?
any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
HD with Videotron is very nice, ive never had any problems quality wise.

You might be dissapointed with the variety of HD channels tho... Videotron concentrates alot more on their french clientele leaving us english clients wanting more.
Bell is the easy choice for quantity of HD offered.

Videotron internet is fast and reliable. The easy choice over Sympatico.

I dont have the telephone with Videotron but you can keep the same number.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in