Purchasing Used HD Receivers - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-09-16, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Purchasing Used HD Receivers

Hi everyone,

I've been looking into getting an HD reciever for my new tv for awhile now and seems like the prices are fairly high on them (didn't see any specials) Just got my samsung LN46A750 and wanted to know if there is any difference in buying a new HD receiver vs and old one. I came across someone selling a DC551P HD reciever for $200 is it worth getting? Any draw backs? If its the wrong section that I'm posting I apologize in advance. You guys have been very helpful so far would appreciate the help. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-09-16, 10:49 PM

I would imagine that the only difference is that you are gambling the money you are saving against the possibility of a repair or the unit ending up dead. Since you have no guarantee, you can only hope that if it does needs repair it doesn't end up costing more than what you saved. I brought my HD box brand new but with 36 payments/no interest, which makes it easier with my budget. And I added the extended coverage just in case since it was so cheap. If you buy a new unit with your credit card, your credit card might extend the manufacturer warranty period by one year.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-09-17, 12:21 AM

Exclamation Pace 551 HD

The Pace 551 HD is NOT the greatest STB available. If you search in this forum you will find it has a lot of problems with the HDMI connection. I bought one 01/2007, I had some problems, but it has been stable with my Sony Bravia 40***. By the way, I've paid 200$ new. Also, be carefull to buy from somebody that was a videotron client. Otherwise Videotron may refuse to activate it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-09-17, 01:39 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
In addition to the good information already supplied, also be aware that Videotron will not activate an "outside" STB. See the following thread on that topic.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35032

If you're purchasing from a Videotron customer, see the following thread, as I believe the information is valid for Videotron:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=64632

You should also check out the following post, useful for those new to the forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-09-17, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks 57 and thanks everyone I think I'll read up a bit more or wait for a sale to come along to get HD in the end is it really worth if most channels are not true HD? I was a long time Shaw customer in Edmonton and I can tell you the customer Service from Shaw is night and day compared to Videotron. I've been with Videotron for my Xtreme Internet for 4 months now and they won't let me rent an HD terminal.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-09-17, 10:07 PM

Only you can really answer that question; I watch mostly American TV shows (Fringe, Terminator, Supernatural, Lost, Heroes, BSG) and I love watching them all in HD on my 46" Sony LCD. And nothing beats watching your favorite sports in HD. Watch a single NFL/NHL/MLB game in HD and you will never go back to SD.... So for me it is all worthwhile. If you don't watch TV shows or you are not into sports, it won't be worthwhile for you...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-09-19, 05:20 PM

Check craigslist/kijiji periodically. Some dude was moving and sold me his Scientific Atlanta HD box for 115$ - it was 3 months old and he even gave me the futureshop reciept...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-09-29, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys I just purchased mine at dumoulin so it worked out now on to another issue!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in