Videotron newsgroups service ended Sept. 9, 2008 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-09-13, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Videotron newsgroups service ended Sept. 9, 2008

For the past two days, i have been unable to access the newsgroups server on my Videotron account. Am i the only one with this problem or is it widespread?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-09-13, 12:24 PM
Rookie

From Videotron's FAQ:

Why is the Videotron news service being eliminated?
Newsgroups, established in the early 90's, had the purpose of allowing Internet users to discuss and exchange ideas on various subjects. As the Internet evolved, new discussion tools emerged: instant messaging, blogs, chat rooms... These different options perform very effectively and offer solutions particularly well suited to discussion on the Internet. They have gradually gained in popularity, while use of newsgroups has constantly decreased.

When will the Videotron news service be eliminated?
The Videotron news service will be eliminated on September 9, 2008. Effective from that date, the newsgroups will no longer be accessible.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-09-13, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the answer! Now, does anybody know of a decent free newsgroup service?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-09-13, 04:00 PM
Veteran

To do what on the newsgroups? Text or binaries? If text, Google has free access through a web browser. If binaries, nothing that's reliable or fast.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-09-13, 04:31 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Google Groups is a Usenet front end...

http://groups.google.com/groups/dir

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-09-13, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Text. I have been posting in the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action newsgroup for over fifteen years.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-09-15, 08:27 AM

newsgroups server

there are some free read only newsgroup servers out there but generally they are read only / no posting or binaries

i subscribed to a a paid service -- here's the link -- http://www.usenetworld.net/info.html

typically most paid services are 20 plus dollars a month -- if you can deal with limits there are some great deals out there --i download a lot of binary files and the service at usenetworld offers very fast speeds good retention and unlimited downloads for 36 dollars a year -- about 3 dollars a month -- i looked for a good week or so -- i'm confident it's the best deal out there but you must sign up for a year in advance-- if you are a light user you might want to google newsgroup providers and do your own research there may be a better alternative -- i have no idea what your requirements are-- many isp's are dropping their news servers
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-09-19, 11:11 AM

In paid services, giganews are GOOD and have a good retention (200 days).
I've recently tried astraweb, rentention is shorter but getting better by the week (~157 days), but has a bit less groups (has the best ones though), speed is decent, etc...

http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html <-- special

If you go on their main site, that special is not listed, but if you go to that link directly, you can get unlimited download for 11$~ monthly which is a damn good price.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-09-19, 12:42 PM
Veteran

I use Newshosting, and I'm on their $15/month plan. It's the best price / value ratio for my needs.

I think the bottom line is: what do you use newsgroups for.

PM me if you need more info.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-09-20, 06:29 PM

I already had an Astraweb block account but upgraded it the other day to the Kleverig special; damn good deal if you ask me.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2008-10-15, 08:17 PM

I started using giganews about a week before Videotron stopped the service, they have 240 day retention and they have a few different package you can choose depending of how much traffic you take. I used newsgroups since the early 90's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in