Digital or analog? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-08-13, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Digital or analog?

Recently i purchased a new tv, and in the course of installing it i ran the auto set up, which detects the available signals.. the television detected only one analog signal, and no digital signal, even though i am subscribed to the videotron digital service (montreal south shore - 3 in1 bundle).

That surprised a bit, but i took this has meaning that the set up decided that the thv must be on channel 3 so as to display the channels selected on the cable box..

But then i purchased a new computer as a plan to switch from cable to internet as a primary source of viewing material, and had a tv tuner installed in this machine (win tv).. i also ran the auto detect option (no choice to do this i guess) and again only one single analog signal was detected.

What is up with that, is videotron broadcasting a digital or an analog signal ? am i not patching the source correctly ? (i use the coaxial, i get great sound but poor video signal with the video/audio output)

btw wintv doesn`t work well, i get very poor sound quality for the most part.. i ran the signal throughthe cablebox of course, being that this is a decoder and i assume that win tv would not be able to descramble the signal ?

.. i`m a bit confused obviously, would love some good advice/s

chaz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-08-13, 02:30 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Videotron provides both digital and analogue signals. The analogue signals should be able to be received by any NTSC tuner, however, the connection must be directly to the cable coming out of the wall and not "through" anything, otherwise you only get the channel that the upstream device is tuned to.

For digital channels you need a QAM tuner, however, the channels are likely all encrypted, therefore you need a Videotron STB to tune digital channels. See the following post on that subject.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32271

See the following post for those new to the forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-08-13, 03:57 PM

I wonder what Cogeco's plans are for this. I think my area in Windsor is almost if not fully digital now. I currently have the analog package because I get all my HD programs thru OTA, so paying an extra $20 /month is not appealing to me.
Has anybody heard anything?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-08-13, 04:02 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Even when Cable companies have "all channels digital" service - Rogers Ontario has for years in some areas, they are likely to keep the access open for analogue customers for a while yet. See the thread on Rogers regarding this topic. They are "discouraging" more analogue customers with an eye on going digital only at some point in the future - yet to be established.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=90316

Please do not hijack this thread since it's Videotron-specific.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-08-14, 04:26 PM

if their digital box does not let signals pass through, that could be the problem. The DCT700 that Westman uses doesn't let any signal out other than its own output on channel 3.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-08-15, 02:44 AM

It also depends on which package you subscribe too, as the analog channels are not included in the cheaper ones... Though in that case, it was obviously the effect of going through the cable box.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in