corrupted video & audio on various channels - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-08-02, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

corrupted video & audio on various channels

Since no one else has complained about this yet, I am starting to wonder if my SA8300HD is starting to fail; on various channels the video and audio is so badly corrupted that the channel is unwatchable. Big blocky mixed up video with audio all corrupted.

Last Sunday night, the HD version of PBS and CBC (The Nature of Things, PBS's Nature) was so bad I had to watch them on the SD counterpart. The problem appears on various SD and HD different channels, but seems to be only temporary, so for that reason I have not call Videotron Tech. Support. But last night around 8PM, the French weather channel was also messed up.

I am all alone with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-08-03, 12:51 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Have you checked Signal Strength and done a Cold Reboot?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-08-03, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Done cold reboots, but did not check signal strength. But I did break down and called Videtron, which is sending a technician on Tuesday. They noticed that something has changed with my SA8300HD since July 26th (No longer returning info or something?), which is probably when the problem began.

Another cold reboot last night helped improved the image/audio a lot on the problems channels, but I can still see/hear a slight corruption which makes me suspect it may be a problem with my SA8300HD unit.

BTW, if I buy a new SA8300HD unit, will I loose all the shows recorded on my external eSATA drive? i.e., are they encrypted for this exact SA8300HD unit?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-08-03, 06:52 AM
Veteran

I do believe when you replace a SA8300HD, you lose recordings on your external drive for the following reasons:

Listing is maintained only in the internal drive. Losing the Listing will no longer give access to recordings.

When an external drive is formatted and remains connected to the DVR, the two drives work as one and therefore, a recording can be partly on the internal drive and partly on the external drive.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-08-03, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

So I checked the signal strengths and SNR on various channels and below are some of the results. Flipping through most channels I notice that the strength values range between -15 and -20, with most of the problem channels at -20. Yet I did see a few good channels listed at -20. However I did noticed for all the problem channels, there is an "Error AVG/Inst" value listed, some as high as 30,000, while most others good channels are low or zero.

Channel 650 PBS-HD (Bad)

Channel 02 Radio Canada (Bad)

20 Weather (Bad)

Channel 54 Fox Burlington (ok)

Last edited by EnderWiggin; 2008-08-03 at 12:06 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-08-03, 03:15 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Your signal strength is obviously low, therefore they should be able to solve the problem for you easily. If you have any splitters or equipment upstream, remove it/them as a test. It is often true that some channels will come in with a poor signal while others will not. Something poor upstream is also indicated by your comment about no return signal to the head end.

Quote:
the two drives work as one and therefore, a recording can be partly on the internal drive and partly on the external drive.
Not true, the two drives do not act as one, an entire recording goes to one drive (the one with the most room percentage-wise). The index is on the internal drive, so the recordings on the external drive will be inaccessible on a new PVR as mentioned by mfabien.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-08-05, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

So Videotron came, saw the low signal, checked and adjusted the connection to the house, as well as from the cable connected to the faceplate (on the wall) and now the signal is much higher and the picture quality is fine.

The signal must have been like this since the initial installation, which oddly enough was done by a sub-contractor, not a videotron tech....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in