8300HD freezes - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-07-21, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
MFX
Rookie

8300HD freezes

First off let me say I bought this unit used.
It works great other than the three times it's gone into a comma state over the past year. I'll get home from work and the screen on the box will be blank and if I try to power up the receiver, nothing happens. The past two times this has happened, I'd unplug and plug the unit until it finaly boots up on it's own. Today it happened again, although it just didn't want to re-boot. I decided to remove the cover and have a look inside thinking that the HDD may be my problem and that I'd try unpluging it. Once I got the cover off I can see what looks like old dried up soda all over the board and some on the HDD. How do I clean up this mess? Also, if my problem persists can I swap the HDD for a new one and how big can I go? Will the receiver automaticaly format the new HDD once installed?

Millions of thanks for anyones who helps me out.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-07-21, 05:42 PM
Member #1

Before doing anything, I would contact Videotron and allow them to run some diagnostics to determine what the problem might be. it could have a simple solution and you may find that swapping a hard drive would have little or no effect.

Once they've told you what they think the problem is then report back and we can probabaly better guide you.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-07-21, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
MFX
Rookie

I contacted them on every instance this happened but they always end up telling me that everything looks fine on their end and it must be a problem with my recvr but their's nothing that can be done because it's not under warranty.
Today the tech said evrything looked good and recommended that I unplug the rcvr for 15min and try it again using co-ax cables rather than HDMI. That didn't work!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-07-23, 08:36 AM
Veteran

Videotron must be dealing with an authorized SA repair shop for DVR's. They could either refer them to you or, should they wish to keep this shop exclusive to them, they could take it in for repairs. In the latter case, they could rent you an HD STB during repairs.

Liquids over an electronic board causes malfunction. Had this problem with my TV when a cat pied in the back of the TV and splashed it over the board. However, the replacement parts involved were cheap in cost.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-07-23, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
MFX
Rookie

What about the HDD, would I be able to replace the 160gb for a 320gb?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-07-23, 01:28 PM
Member #1

You noted in your first post that the receiver was not functioning at all.
When videotron said everything looked okay, it suggests your receivers is functioning so without a lot more info its difficult to figure out what you are saying.

I doubt changing the hard drive is going to have any effect if a board is shot.

(BTW: there are lots of threads in the forum regarding changing the drive in the 8300HD so search and you can confirm what is required)

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2008-07-25, 06:32 AM
Veteran

If you need repairs done to your SA8300HD, get in touch with:

http://www.solutiondigitale.com/

They are in Laval and repair all Videotron digital terminals.

Tags
pvr , videotron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in