HD options (videotron and others) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

HD options (videotron and others)

HI all,
I am new to the HD world. Got a beautiful Samsung 42 plasma (delivered yesterday). Im planning on upgrading to HD tv in the fall (in the summer I pretty much only use my tv to watch dvds and gaming (PS3).
Im with videotron (illico digital) for tv, internet, and phone.
Ive looked at the HD stuff on the videotron website. Im just wondering
if videotron HD is good, if there are other options open to me, etc.

Thanks in advance for any information and advice.
Cheers,
Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 10:09 AM

In addition to the services you already have, it all depends if you want/need analogue cable or not, on any other household TV's. Like you, I have 'everything' with Videotron, and my monthly bill (128$) is 5$ less than when I had Bell+Videotron and that includes 1000 monthly anytime minutes of North American long distance calling (I have never exceeded 500 minutes...comes to $0.02/min...cheap to keep your mother in law happy!). If you still use multiple analogue TV's, a good package is the 30 la carte channels package, because analogue is included. If you recycle your existing STB on a second TV, and need only two TV's, the 20 la carte channel might be better and less expensive. If you live in a city, where HD OTA coverage and reception are interesting in your area, that provides another avenue to explore through the Hovermann threads in the OTA forum.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi Tanta, Thanks for the info.
Right now I have the 30 channels la carte, because I wanted to get basic cable on a second set. I live about 50 clicks east of quebec city (in St-Ferreol-les-neiges). I dont know what the OTA is like here.

Cheers,
Max

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 10:49 AM

Ok, not much HD OTA, other than CBC/SRC in Qubec City for now. The package you already have will do nicely, all you are missing is an HD capable STB. If you plan on recording HD, that would be the SA8300HD. Videotron offers a number of discounts, when you have all their services; you might consider making the HD switch with a 'real human' over the phone or at a Videotron service counter...to make sure they don't forget any, which might happen using the online forms. The last time I checked online, the SA8300HD did not appear to be 'rentable', only 'buyable', as opposed to their non-PVR HD STB. Once you have this unit, the only additional monthly cost is a $2.99 HD fee; you are automatically subscribed to the HD versions of your 30 channel SD package, unless you subscribe to DiscoveryHD and TSNHD, which have separate charges. What Samsung model did you buy? How is the digital SD like compared to your older TV's?

Last edited by Tanta; 2008-07-11 at 11:06 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-07-11, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the information.
CHeers,
Max
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2008-07-19, 10:49 AM
Veteran

Vieotron's Illico HD is as good as the source may be. The video bitrate is always dependent on the source transmission and Illico's broadband transmission takes very little away from the theoretical maximum bitrate at the source (some 19+ in video bitrate).

Here are the June 2008 measurements (source is member Kaphyr) at http://www.cinetvdvd.com/illico/NumMtl200806.html

QAM 53 = RDIHD 17.55, ARTHD 17.45
QAM 52 = VOXHD 18.25, RDSHD 17.45
QAM 42 = PBSHD 12.85, VCHD1 14.65
QAM 01 = CTVHD 17.40, DiscHD 17.75
QAM 22 = ABCHD 14.80, NHD 14.55
QAM25 = ZHD 17.90, SEHD 17.65
QAM 16 = VRKHD 17.90, SEHD 17.80
QAM 10 = VIEHD 17.90, DHD 17.95
QAM 17 = A&EHD 18.5, GEOHD 14.65 (A&E has the highest score but they have the awful habit of taking a non HD source picture and stretching it with distortions, GEOHD bitrate is disappointing)
QAM 19 = SRCHD 17.50, CBCHD 16.95 (SRCHD always a good picture)
QAM 23 = TVAHD (Montreal) 17.70, HISHD 17.95 (both very good)
QAM 54 = TQCHD 17.75
QAM 24 = TSNHD 17.75, RSNHD 17.35 (TSNHD sport events, better than the US channels coming from Plattsburgh or Burlington)
QAM 29 = TQSHD 13.80, GLOBHD 17.70
QAM 43 = NBCHD 16.55 (Plattsburgh), CBSHD 14.70 (Burlington)
QAM 27 = FOXHD 11.60 (Network), CITHD 17.35 (FOXHD has some of the best programs of the summer [ex., So You Think You Can Dance] wish the bitrate coming from across the border would be better).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in