Why is Canada (and Videotron) so behind with HD? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-06-25, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Why is Canada (and Videotron) so behind with HD?

I just moved from the US where I had DirecTV and almost 100 HD channels to choose from. Now I have Videotron and I only get about 20 or so HD channels, That's insane. Is there a master plan for Videotron to add 50 HD channels this year that I don't know about Please say there is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-06-26, 12:22 AM

Should have brought the DirecTV dish and equipment with you and kept up the subscription.

Sorry, not just with Videotron, you are in for a world of disappointment compared with the US offerings.

On the positive side, at least no simsubs on Videotron HDTV channels yet Wait till you see an American channel hacked by Global.

Welcome (back?) to Canadian TV.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-06-26, 02:21 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

It is a much, much smaller market of consumers, so expenditures on improvements seem to happen a lot more slowly here given the smaller budgets.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-06-26, 07:45 AM
Member #1

Canada is not behind in HD. I don't know Videotron's exact count but ExpressVu has about 60 HD channels. You say Directv has 100 but how many are simply locals and how many did you actually subscribe to? In addition, what was the cost to subscribe to all 100?

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-06-26, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnonville View Post
I just moved from the US where I had DirecTV and almost 100 HD channels to choose from. Now I have Videotron and I only get about 20 or so HD channels, That's insane. Is there a master plan for Videotron to add 50 HD channels this year that I don't know about Please say there is
If it makes you feel any better, I have EastLink, which offers 13, of which people like me with just basic digital + HD pack only get 11 of them.

Back on topic: A do find some of the cable companies are a bit behind the satellite operators though. Usually a bandwidth issue they say.

RCA 26" HDTV - (ATSC/QAM Tuner) - 720p/1080i
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-06-26, 01:00 PM

With Videotron, it's really simple. They'll add any french channels, HD or SD. As for the english HD channels, the market is not big enough. That's why you don't see HDnet, WGN HD, MPix HD, TMN OnDemand or any of the time shifting channels in HD. You might see them some day but I wouldn't hold my breath.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-06-26, 01:55 PM
Rookie

Small consumer base or not, the blame for this is squarely at the feet of the CRTC. The government run media watchdogs that try to keep Canada as weakly European as possible.

There is your answer. Free markets are a bit blurry up here, the government runs everything.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-06-26, 01:58 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The government is not what's limiting Videotron to a certain number of channels since we've already discussed that Bell has more than twice as many, and Rogers has roughly twice as many.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76073

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-06-28, 12:37 PM

videotron is by far the worst cable company for hd in canada...i used to think shaw had that title...they even want to charge extra for analog cable from another jack in your house!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-06-28, 02:16 PM
Veteran

At least Videotron delivers full HD. On Shaw we may get more channels, but all we get is overcompressed HD that looks like garbage... that's how they squeeze more channels into their bandwidth.

Mike / technut
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-06-28, 03:28 PM
Veteran

Canada is behind in english HD channels compared to the US when you look at variety. A quick glance at the list of HD channels available on Dishnetwork in the US, and I found 7 HD PPV movie channels which rotate every day with different movies, and 6 high quality HD movie channels--Cinemax (3), HBO, Showtime and Starz. In Canada we have MC for the West and TMN for the East, and MC has 2 HD channels that run the same movies. In the West we don't even have access to Mpix like in the east. I don't count Superchannel because they have very few good movies right now. Maybe that will improve in the future. The 4 HD PPV channels on Bell usually carry the same movie on 2 channels for 3-4 days and 2-3 other movies on the other 2 channels over the same time period.

Last edited by jumpy27; 2008-06-28 at 03:49 PM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-07-01, 10:05 PM

Videotron compress' more and more and some particular channels.

I have the Videotron service and I have been, generally, happy with them until I saw the little effort they have done for HD channels. Something is up though and I think they are looking into alternatives to pass HD signals through without compression. Perhaps that is why many channels are on hold for them according to their market. However, they won't have choice in 2 and half years anyways to transmit everything or they will lose a lot of clients.

I think, however, that it is ironic that Videotron (which is Quebecor owned) has such issues and can't even transmit their own channels in HD. They rather create new channels that no one are interested in instead of investing more in the technology.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-07-04, 07:34 PM

Quote:
At least Videotron delivers full HD.
The HD quality of Videotron is dissapointing. I see a lot of compression artifact creeping up with fast moving images and so on.

I had Bell for 4 years and recently switched to Videotron to save money (it is a lot cheaper... stupid Bell themes crap). The image quality is not better than Bell's, both are pretty crappy and vary in quality over time.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 2008-07-04, 09:49 PM
Veteran

I hope Videotron is not picking up any HD channels from Shaw Broadcast Services because Shaw compresses them prior to uplinking to the satellite, so Videotron would be getting a compressed signal on the downlink.

Mike / technut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in