External hard drive for SA 8300 no longer sold by Videotron - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 2008-06-16, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

External hard drive for SA 8300 no longer sold by Videotron

I bought 2 years ago from videotron an external drive to plug to the Sciencitic Atlanta 8300PVR HD. I dont see anymore this item available from Videotron. Why did they stop selling it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 2008-06-16, 11:55 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Perhaps there was not much of a market for it, so they discontinued. If I recall, this was also a 160 GB HDD. You can purchase a 500 or 750 GB HDD and enclosure for a lot less than what they were charging for a 160.

See the following thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23773 Post 1

It's a Rogers thread, but is applicable.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 2008-06-17, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks,

I would be quite happy to get a bigger capacity external drive. But the problem is that I have presious HDTV programmes on my existing external drive and if I unplug it to put a new one, I will loose everything I have on my current drive.
Is there a way to transfer ? Or save elsewhere?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 2008-06-17, 10:44 PM

Wink No problem

Just swap the 2 external eSata drive and you will be able to watch watever is on that disk. Recordings don't span more than one disk and the table of content is fully contain on the same disk as the recording.

So, in theory you could have a whole library of of external drive.

P.S.: Follow the standard Scientific Atlanta procedure to intall or uninstall drives.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 2008-06-17, 11:35 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
table of content is fully contain on the same disk as the recording.
Incorrect. The index is on the internal drive, however, it does keep track of what's on various drives, so you can swap drives back and forth, as discussed somewhere in the link I already provided. If the index ever became corrupt (it can sometimes) then you wouldn't be able to access your precious recordings. PVRs should never be considered an archive - they are meant for timeshifting.

There is no way to transfer, except for SD quality via a DVD recorder for example, or via firewire to an HTPC, but that can be quite problematical, discussed in the "Recording HD" FAQ.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14099

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 2008-06-19, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Is it possible to connect several external hard drives in series to a SA8300 PVR ? Like I have to my MacPro several LaCie drives connected one behind the other (6 in a row)?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 2008-06-19, 09:02 PM

Quick answer - no.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 2008-06-21, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

There must be a solution! I cant believe that the current technology prevents me to capture the SA8300 HDTV signal and store it in an external PC hard drive.
What about the AVX1 Combo device? Cant we plug it to the Videotron SA8300 PVR and download what we saved in the AVX1.
It is just a matter to have large space to save as many HDTV programs as we want and not be limited by just one hard drive of ridiculously small size (they dont even exceed 400 Gb).
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 2008-06-22, 12:07 AM

People have used HDD up to 1 TB, so that should give you some room (although I can't guarantee that it'll work with Videotron). You cannot connect the HDD to a PC since the recordings are encrypted and not readable by the PC. See the link in post 2. There are only certain drives/enclosures that work. Take the time to read the links in post 1 of that thread.

Downloading in HD can only be done via firewire, which I've already discussed in post 5 - read that link.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 2008-06-22, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

So there are 2 things I understand :

1. I have no other choice than getting a new and larger external drive.

2. But all the HD programs I have in my existing external drive will be lost since I will have to swap the HDD. As you said the contents of the existing external drive cant be read from a PC.

For 1. You said that some people managed to use a 1 TB hard drive. In the thread you gave me I found a list of HDDs and providers and I found a Western Digital 1 TB and the list said that the provider is Videotron and it passed the test. But if Videotron is the provider, it is not something they publisized. I cant find any trace of Videotron offering that hard drive. So what course of action should I follow to get it and make sure that it works with the SA8300HD PVR.

For 2. Can you confirm that there are absolutely no way to keep them in HD (but only transfer the programs into a DVD recorder but in SD which is not a solution I really would like to retain).

Sorry but I undertand rapidly but I have to be explained slowly.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 2008-06-22, 03:58 PM

As I stated earlier, you can keep the programmes in your existing external drive and simply connect the HDD when you want to watch them - the index is in the internal drive, however, as I also stated, you should not consider a HDD an "archive" since something could go wrong at any time, either to the drive or to the index. If that is not an option you like, then transferring to DVD via S-Video, or perhaps getting some transferred via firewire to a PC (in HD) might be an option.

Rogers also doesn't officially support an external HDD, yet lots of us have them. The only way to test is to purchase a new drive (and enclosure) and test it. If you choose from the list of working drives, then it should work. The larger you go in size and the less experience there is in the field, the more likely it is that you may encounter issues.

I hope that was slow enough for you.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 2008-06-22, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

you said "perhaps getting some transferred via firewire to a PC (in HD) might be an option". But if I understand this only works for HD programs which are not encrypted. And I am pretty sure than most of them coming from exemple from Discovery channel HD or National Geographic HD are encrypted. So if this is the case, this option may have limited value.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 2008-06-22, 11:38 PM

You misunderstand. All programming is encrypted on the HDD, however, firewire transfer depends on the 5C setting, not on encryption. Don't confuse the two. You'll have to check out the various firewire threads - one of which (On Rogers) is in the Recording HD post I already provided.

You may need to search for a Videotron firewire thread... Recording using firewire is often problematical and you'll have to read the threads regarding those problems if this option interests you enough to try it. You are correct that if the 5C setting was "1" on the channels/programmes you're interested in, then it will be of limited/no value.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 2008-06-23, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

My God !! I am lost!!! I need to find out more about what is 5C, and read through various other threads. So back to square one for me !!!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 2008-06-25, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Incorrect. The index is on the internal drive, however, it does keep track of what's on various drives, so you can swap drives back and forth, as discussed somewhere in the link I already provided. If the index ever became corrupt (it can sometimes) then you wouldn't be able to access your precious recordings. PVRs should never be considered an archive - they are meant for timeshifting.

There is no way to transfer, except for SD quality via a DVD recorder for example, or via firewire to an HTPC, but that can be quite problematical, discussed in the "Recording HD" FAQ.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14099
Well, This is not quite what I heard from Videotron. I called their technical support and they said that once I unplug the external drive to put another one, not only I am loosing all the contents of the old external drive but I will also loose the contents on the internal drive. The fact of putting a new external drive, the PVR will recognise that it is a new drive and will consider the new one plus the internal drive as a single drive and thus will reformat the whole thing. If I want to swap the new drive to put the old one back, I will loose the index worked out with the new drive and the PVR will consider the swap as putting a new drive again and will reformat the whole disk (internal+external)once more.
So if I buy a new hard drive, I will loose all the programs I have so far in the 2 disks (internal and external) unless I want to transfer to DVDs (SD format and not HD) with a DVD recorder using the composite connections but will loose the HD definition in doing so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in