HD Digital Cable - Stretch SD? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2008-06-12, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

HD Digital Cable - Stretch SD?

I'm a new HD digital cable user and I just finally got everything hooked up. I am using a 4250 HD Explorer with videotron and have the anglo package with the HD addition. What i absolutely dispise is how there are borders on the sides of the tv squishing the picture quality on non HD channels.

I want to know if there is a way to stretch those channels so that they fit the entire 47 inch screen? I'm very disapointed with this...

My second question is, if I cannot change these channels can I simply cancel the 3$ HD subscription and use my HD box as a digital illico terminal? If I go this route is the digital picture quality all that bad on a LCD TV?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2008-06-12, 11:42 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
What is the make/model of your TV? Since it's an LCD, there is no reason to stretch the image, why not watch the 4:3 programming as 4:3 and watch the 16:9 as 16:9 - no distortion, best PQ. There is no "squishing", unless you've improperly set up your TV, the image is simply 4:3 on SD programming.

Please check out the following relevant posts:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76089 Black Bars

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741 Newbie Info

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719 SA STBs.

If you really want to create distortion on the image and make the picture worse by stretching it, use the # key, just to the right of the zero on the STB remote. But remember that you'll need to "unstretch" to properly watch true HD programming, otherwise you'll miss 33% of the programme. Some new TVs also allow you to stretch upconverted SD on HD channels...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2008-06-13, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hmm.. I'll give this a try tonight, I can deal with having to change the settings back and forth seeing as I only have a handfull of HD channels.

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in