Troubles with External Drive on 8300 - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-01, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hmmm ! I noticed that my enclosure was hot. So i opened it and noticed that my led wires were inversed. So I put it in the right way and now my enclosure is cold. I don't know if it could have changed my hard drive behavior I did one test with the same results though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-01, 03:51 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The enclosure is usually "warm" when the HDD is operating. You can either have the power indicator connected, or not. I have mine connected so I can see activity on the HDD, although I have a piece of black tape to cover most of the LED since it's so bright.

I don't know what to suggest except for exchanging the pieces. Perhaps you can try the 500, since most people here have it operating OK? I did see that the 750 was given the "OK" in the link in post 1 though regarding which drives work...

I don't recall if you can use the HDD without the enclosure, but if that connection is possible, you may wish to try that just as a test since that will remove one piece from the equation.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-01, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, I need one end of the enclosure for the SATA connector but I can get rid of the other end. But I don't think it is that test you had in mind.

If I reformat the HDD, can it help or it will do nothing ?

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-02, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, I did reformat the HDD but without success. I still have the same problem. Next test, I will try it on another SA8300HD like mine. Maybe I should try another cable too. I will try to find one.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-03, 06:30 AM

Good idea trying it in another SA8300HD but it is possible that the hard drive itself is the problem, since you say you are getting a hiccup with every recording. You can scan the hard drive for bad sectors by connecting it a PC through Windows or the hard drive's manufacturers config/setup tools. Or you might want to purchase or borrow another SATA drive and test it, if the problem goes away you know it is the hard drive. I occasionally get a hiccup with my external setup but chose to ignore it.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-03, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I did reformat the HDD but without success
I think you have a noisy connection or cable.

Here is a speculative answer. Did you give the Explorer plenty of time to do the partitioning and formatting the second time? The reason I ask is the first time you formatted you said you rebooted about 15 minutes into the process. It could be possible that it was not finished and only after a few weeks of writes did it start to encounter the uninitialized areas. It could also be that the drive has some sort of fall-back mode when it has trouble reading a sector. There are ways to reset the SMART data and do a low level format.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-03, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I just tested it on another terminal and it worked flawlessly. So, I'm glad that I rent that terminal this time. I will ask for an exchange and everything will work as it should be. Well, I hope it.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-03, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I think you have a noisy connection or cable.

Here is a speculative answer. Did you give the Explorer plenty of time to do the partitioning and formatting the second time? The reason I ask is the first time you formatted you said you rebooted about 15 minutes into the process. It could be possible that it was not finished and only after a few weeks of writes did it start to encounter the uninitialized areas. It could also be that the drive has some sort of fall-back mode when it has trouble reading a sector. There are ways to reset the SMART data and do a low level format.
How can I know that the formatting is finished ?
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-03, 02:02 PM

Funny I don't remember if it ever indicates it is done. I thought that it rebooted but that could be wrong. For myself I left and came back an hour later. Remember the original external drives were 160GB so you can expect a 4-5 time longer wait to format these 750 GB units.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 2008-06-11, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, nothing indicates it when it is done. And yes the 750Gb works very well too when you have a terminal that works normally. Vidéotron changed my 8300HD and my problem is gone. Lucky me, I'm renting the damn thing !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in