copying contents of the HD PVR to a PC Hard Drive - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-19, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

copying contents of the HD PVR to a PC Hard Drive

I have a Videotron provided Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 PVR for HD TV and I managed to acquire a videotron dedicated external hard drive to extend memory. Unfortunately, I wanted to keep many HD TV programs in either the internal or the external hard drive. But there are still too small.

I would like therefore to find a way to connect this PVR to a PC and be able to transfer the movies I have in the PVR into the PC with a much bigger har drive. What is required to do that ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-20, 03:41 PM

i don't believe you can do connect the Hard Disk to a PC and make a backup, it's encrypted and can not be read by PCs, you can add more space by adding eSATA storage drive to your 8300HD

i believe the best you can achieve is using your firewire port and tranferring it that way in real-time
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-20, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for the idea. If I understand you mean to connect the PVR to the PC using the PVR HDMI Out to the PC DVI In or USB2 IN and get the right software that would capture the video signal into the hard drive while the video programis played by the PVR. Am I correct ?
Would I need a special video capture card ? Or just a software ?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-20, 11:28 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
You may wish to check out the following on recording HD.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14099

The Rogers firewire thread link is probably relevant, although I believe there is a similar Videotron firewire thread, although not as detailed or long. It can be very problematical.

If you wish to record SD, a simple S-video connection would be easiest.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-21, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

You said : If you wish to record SD, a simple S-video connection would be easiest

Yes of course. But you dont get the same quality as true HD.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-22, 11:27 AM

if you wear glasses or contacts normally, then make sure to take them off and you won't notice a difference between SD and HD.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-23, 10:00 AM

Lightbulb

However, if you listen carefully you can hear the 5.1 vrs stereo sound
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-24, 05:32 AM

You might want to read This thread it seem that is posible to record playback (*show previously recorded) from firewire to computer

Disclaimer: I haven't tried anything mention on the other thread myself since I don't have the proper material. So I don't know if the info is still valid and how to make it work . It seem there is some additional step need explained on pages 2 but I haven't been following it carefully.

Cheers,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in