copy protection - HDMI connection creating problems with DVD Recorder - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-04-29, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
axc
Rookie

copy protection - HDMI connection creating problems with DVD Recorder

Hi
I am fed up with this error message popping up every time I want to record and can't understand why cable companies do not fix it. Here is what I have and how it is connected:

for TV signal:
Videotron (scientific Atlanta ) explorer 4250HD
|
HDMI cable
|
Samsung 1080i plasma

for DVD recorder
Videotron (scientific Atlanta ) explorer 4250HD
|
Component cable
|
pioneer DVD recorder~hard dis k
|
Samsung plasma (component)

Every time I want to record (either while watching TV or programming a timed recording ) to my DVD recorder, I get this message
Copy protection
HMDI~DVI output blocked, press exit to cancel

called Videotron and they can't help. they say it is the cable box software... Anyone one of you know how I can resolve this. I would like to use BOTH outputs simultaneously, without this copy protection error. Is there a software~firmware solution I can download and fix myself ?

I was told that connecting the cable box to the DVD recorder, then connecting recorder to TV (all using component cabling) would solve the issues, but I really see a quality degradation with this setup. Furthermore, I need to power on 3 devices to watch TV...

HELP and thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-04-29, 10:50 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
With a properly calibrated input on the TV when using component video, you should not see a significant difference between HDMI and CV, if the CV connection is directly to the TV. You obviously cannot go "through" the DVD recorder since then you're limited to 480i on the CV connection there and will degrade the HD signal.

See the following thread on HDMI issues.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

And the following on proper TV Setup

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76161

There is no other firmware available and you cannot use both HD connections at the same time. Sometimes people can use a workaround to get it working for what their needs are, but not for simultaneous functioning I believe. See the following previous similar discussion:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=75550

For times that you wish to record while watching, you could use the S-video connection to the DVD recorder, which should not cause the problem with the copy protection message. Since consumer DVD recorders are limited to 480i on CV, the S-video should not be a significant step down under those circumstances.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-04, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
axc
Rookie

copy protection with HDMI

thanks 57, but I tried the component connection from cable box, to dvd recorder to TV and somehow I loose quality, I do not get the Full HD when watching HD channels (ei have to zoom in, not 16:9) so I guess my pionnner DVD recorder cannot transmit~transfer HD quality.
If someone have found trick to get around this, I would appreciate your comments.
So far, the only one I found was to disconnet the HDMS behing plasma, every time I want to record (while watch or self timer)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-04, 10:46 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by axc
I tried the component connection from cable box, to dvd recorder to TV and somehow I loose quality
You didn't read my first paragraph and a portion of my last paragraph:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57
...if the CV connection is directly to the TV. You obviously cannot go "through" the DVD recorder since then you're limited to 480i on the CV connection there and will degrade the HD signal....Since consumer DVD recorders are limited to 480i on CV
You need to connect component video directly to the TV and use S-video to record on the DVD recorder as I mentioned or perhaps get a component video switch/splitter if you wish to record using component video.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-06, 08:25 PM

copy protection - HDMI connection creating problems with DVD Recorder

I have a similar setup then you:
1) Pace->Component->Toshiba HDTV set
2) Pace->S-Video->Panasonic HDD & DVD Burner->S-Video->Toshiba HDTV set

It happen sometime that I try to record a movie from TMN-HD and it does record. However, when I try to edit from the HDD or burn to DVD, I have a protection message.

I always thought it was a macrovision protection.

I do have a device allowing DVD to DVD copy and bypassing the DVD macrovision protection.

If you can tell me of a movie that is repeating many times over the month, I could try to see I can record directly and then try my Color Corrector machine (SIMA SCC-2) in the middle to see if it bypass the protection.

I did call Videotron, TMN and Panasonic with no luck. I still have this problem, partically with the movie of the month.

By the way, I tried Pace->HDMI->Toshiba and it never worked.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-06, 11:37 PM

Some programmes are CGMS-a protected. That's a different issue. See the following thread on that matter.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44045

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-23, 03:29 PM

I also have a 4250 with an HDMI connection but would also like the standard RCA Video (Composite) or S-Video output to work at the same time. Right now I get copy protection message..huh? even for composite and s-video???? ((((

The way its setup I can only use HDMI, not component. But I also need to composite or s-video output to work at the same time?

possible?

Thanks
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2008-05-25, 10:28 AM

Hi all. I'm set up with illico HD PVR and also get that message. But i just press Exit on the remote, and the message goes away. Remember, the DVD recorder will not record in HD. So you have to use either RCA cable or S-video.
my Setup: i have the HDMI cable from HD PVR going into my audio receiver, going to my projector. I also have a separate S-video cable going from HD PVR to the DVD recorder (along with the RCA cables for audio). DVD recorder works like a charm. You won't get HD quality...but at least you can record the program.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in