No retention attempt at videotron? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 2008-03-19, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

No retention attempt at videotron?

Wow, that is bad.

I just called to cancel my videotron subscription and I pretty much got: ok, it will be cut off in 30 days, anything else I can help with?

I know I was behind a few payments in the past and I have 20 a la carte instead of 30 a la carte but that is pretty bad service. I still generate over $100 a month as a client. I have 20 channels plus basic plus 2 HD terminals plus TMN as well as highspeed internet. about $115 a month.

told him canceled cause it was too expensive to get another HD PVR and didn't even offer like a $50 credit or something towards a PVR to help me to stay. nothing. WOW.

that is horrible customer service.

Rolando Avendaño
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 2008-03-19, 01:16 PM

I have heard this before. Also once I called to complain about new service fees and wondered out loud if I should just cancel. The guy starting the process right there and then without saying another word to me.

Now I will be moving soon and have considered canceling my digital TV service. I just do not have as much free time as before for TV. I shall find out when the time comes if they try to woo me to stay.

But I have to say I am happy with the service and I rarely have to call customer service. It is just the $50/month for something that I may only spend 4-6 hours on is hard to ignore.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 2008-03-19, 08:25 PM
Rookie

I hate to tell you but calling in and threatening to cancel doesnt get you what you want all the time. Not everyone will be like omg I need to keep this customer, you leave, someone else will leave from some other company and go to them, so really it averages itself out.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 2008-03-19, 09:03 PM

right on and most of the time the bill isn't really cheaper elsewhere neither
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 2008-03-20, 06:50 AM

For both Videotron and Bell, we are merely drops in the bucket. I would imagine that the money generated from their TV services are small change compared to all the other ventures. And then for every customer that drops they know that another new one is coming in from Bell or Starchoice. We need them more than they need us...
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 2008-03-20, 07:59 AM

Threats? Did I miss read a post? I think we are talking about much less here. If they really wanted to keep the fence-sitters they could pitch their services just a little better. Even without having to give anything away. Most of the reps I speak to do not seem to be motivated.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 2008-03-20, 09:10 AM

Maybe they only get bonuses on new suscribers and not on retention. Maybe their bonus is based on number of calls per hour closed. People do what you motivate them to.

That said I'd personally prefer your expereince. If I say I want to cancel by all means go ahead and ask me why and if you can offer me something to fix it sure but after that just cancel me. I've gone through nigtmares trying to cancel service before. Recently with my Aliant cell phones multiple calls, emails reports to BBB letters becuase they would not cancel my account. Try cancelling an AOL account sometime its like that Seinfild episod where George keeps breaking up with the girl but she says "I don't accept the breakup". If I want to cancel just do what i ask.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 2008-03-20, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

I was hoping for at least a semblance of caring. You would think the company is almost hoping for some cancelations. Were sales too much this year?

I don't want to be kept on the phone for an hour while you try to talk me into staying. but at least make a small gesture. Heck at least tell me your sorry to hear it. SOMETHING! I could have been talked out of it probably with just a small token. like a small discount for a new PVR or something. anything.

wow...

Rolando Avendaño
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 2008-03-20, 12:09 PM

I noticed that a lot of companies are putting a lot of emphasis on deals for new customers. Cell phone service providers or television companies have very interesting deals that are reserved only for new customers. If you are already a customer with them, you are SOL. They have a very strange way of rewarding customer loyalty.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 2008-03-20, 12:49 PM
Member #1

Quote:
that is horrible customer service.
Why? Perhaps they feel that they provide a good service at a good price and they can't be all things to all people?

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 2008-03-20, 01:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Why? Perhaps they feel that they provide a good service at a good price and they can't be all things to all people?
I agree with Hugh on this. The idea of telling your provider that you want to cancel the service just to get a better deal is basically a dishonest action. The fact that so many here seem to engage in this activity makes me wonder about their morality. It also makes me wonder about the morality of the provider. If/when I call my provider to cancel my service I will mean it and would be insulted if the CSR tries to get me to stay. It would be like taking a bribe.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 2008-03-20, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidw View Post
I agree with Hugh on this. The idea of telling your provider that you want to cancel the service just to get a better deal is basically a dishonest action. The fact that so many here seem to engage in this activity makes me wonder about their morality. It also makes me wonder about the morality of the provider. If/when I call my provider to cancel my service I will mean it and would be insulted if the CSR tries to get me to stay. It would be like taking a bribe.
I don't think threatening to cancel is dishonest in any way. The provider has set the expectaion by offering deals to keep people from canceling. If you don't ask for the deal you don't get it. I have a real issue being treated that way. If I'm paying $100 a month and you'll give me $10 off if I threaten to cencel but give me nothing if I just mortor along quietly why aren't you giving me $10 off just for being a good customer?

I see it all the time with Credit cards. Hey it will be $100 a year for your card. "No thanks I'll just switch to x bank tyhey will give me a free car"

Wait wait we don't want to lose you we'll waive the fee.

Well why were you trying to charge me $100 if you were willing to give it to me for free?

Ypou don't ask y0ou don't get. I certainly don't feel putting a $100less thatn I have to in the pockets of a shareholder of Rogers or whoever makes me any less moral. Do you pay full list price for your cars?
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 2008-03-20, 03:36 PM

Quote:
If/when I call my provider to cancel my service I will mean it and would be insulted if the CSR tries to get me to stay
Why on earth would you be insulted?
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 2008-03-20, 04:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I would be insulted because by doing so the CSR is not thinking of me as an honest person but as someone trying to find an "angle". My word is my bond. If tell say something I mean it. It is not a ploy. Maybe that's old fashioned but that's the way I am.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 2008-03-20, 05:25 PM
Member #1

Quote:
I understand what reidw is saying. It's like finding out that for years you've been paying a $100 a month for a service and then finding out your neighbour has been paying $75 a month. You feel cheated.

Regardless my whole point is that NOT offering a "discount" is NOT bad service as the original poster suggested.

To me GOOD customers service is standing behind your product and the price you sell it for.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in