Videotron 2008 New Channels Discussion - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-09, 11:40 PM

Quote:
BTW, i have the same problem with Supernatural as you do with Smallville, no HD channels offer it...
I was told that Bell offers an HD version of WGN channel (Chicago) which has an HD version of Supernatural (and Smallville). Sad that we lost the HD version especially since Supernatural is so good this season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-11, 12:31 PM

so let me get this straight... Bell offers a channel were I can get Smallville in HD... I already knew they had MPIX HD. Now Videotron might not get the HD feed of HBO Canada? Only Bell? Are they TRYING to send me to Bell?

Rolando Avendaño
post #63 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-11, 03:52 PM

Actually, they're trying to get ALL the francophones!
F&ck us blokes.
I don't expect to get HBO Canada in HD.
If I lose all the HBO HD programming because of this, well Bell will need to be reconsidered.

post #64 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-12, 07:49 AM

You have got to weigh out all the pros and cons.... Supernatural or Smallville in HD versus loosing the signal or poor signal strength in crappy weather, etc., etc., and then decide which service you prefer. I was real pissed when I lost Supernatural in HD but I am currently watching it on SPACE in SD and I am happy enough.

And if you are missing out on only Smallville in HD, and you have a Blu-ray player, you can download the 720p episodes and burn them to a DVD in the Blu-ray format in just minutes (no re-encoding) and it will look as good as the live feed.
post #65 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-14, 11:45 AM

Quote:
If I lose all the HBO HD programming because of this, well Bell will need to be reconsidered.
Might work for you as long as you are not a Habs fan. RDS HD on Bell is a joke. Over compression is a real issue with Bell HD - most channels should be labelled "HD Lite"

Once RDS HD launched, Bell's HD PQ chased me to Star Choice in a hurry.
post #66 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-14, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987654321 View Post
Might work for you as long as you are not a Habs fan. RDS HD on Bell is a joke. Over compression is a real issue with Bell HD - most channels should be labelled "HD Lite"

Once RDS HD launched, Bell's HD PQ chased me to Star Choice in a hurry.
Thanx for the heads up. Happy with Star Choice?
post #67 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-15, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Happy with Star Choice?
Basically yes:
Besides the better PQ, fewer simsubs is nice. Being able to get hold of CSR at any time is nice to change programming. Paying a few dollars/month less.
post #68 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-16, 06:57 PM

Well so far the pos/cons have made stick with videotron. I will concede that. I love never losing signal. I love the a lacarte system. I love getting the American commercials during the superbowl (since I fast forward through the game ) and most of all love paying at least $20 less a month than my brother in law.

However it feels as if videotron is aware of this and just doesn't care to improve. I think it's fair that they invested in adding all that French content. It's understandable. But enough is enough. I live in Montreal (well now Laval to be precise) and I don't watch a single french channel. so French HD channels a a waste of bandwith. Again, for me but glad it's available for my french neighbours.

However I have seen no new English HD channels. At the risk of sounding like a broken record: Where is MPIX HD? How about these superchannels I am hearing about? If I lose True Blood and HBO content in HD I will be a very unhappy camper. I mean we need more English HD content NOT less.

Rolando Avendaño
post #69 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-17, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
Well so far the pos/cons have made stick with videotron. I will concede that. I love never losing signal. I love the a lacarte system. I love getting the American commercials during the superbowl (since I fast forward through the game ) and most of all love paying at least $20 less a month than my brother in law.

However it feels as if videotron is aware of this and just doesn't care to improve. I think it's fair that they invested in adding all that French content. It's understandable. But enough is enough. I live in Montreal (well now Laval to be precise) and I don't watch a single french channel. so French HD channels a a waste of bandwith. Again, for me but glad it's available for my french neighbours.

However I have seen no new English HD channels. At the risk of sounding like a broken record: Where is MPIX HD? How about these superchannels I am hearing about? If I lose True Blood and HBO content in HD I will be a very unhappy camper. I mean we need more English HD content NOT less.
Seconded, altho I do watch RDS HD. Hockey ya know!
Good to see that others are enjoying True Blood.
OK. I admit it, mainstream don't cut it.
Need my Dexter-True Blood-Brotherhood etc... fix.... In HD!!!!
Cheers.
post #70 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-17, 06:57 AM

I just checked the November schedule on TMN.ca and they still have Dexter and True Blood listed for Sunday nights. Doesn't this indicate that we won't loose these shows in HD?
post #71 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-18, 10:36 PM
Veteran

The current seasons of all HBO series will continue to air on TMN, as well as HBO Canada. Any new programs/new seasons will be exclusive to HBO.
post #72 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-19, 12:20 AM

ANd now LCN has applied for an HD license, so that will make another French HD channel soon. But I know Videotorn is planning on getting upgrading it's network from 750 mhz to 1 ghz at some point which will bring in more space for HD. I know it seems far down the road but analog channels are on the way out in juts over 3 years. That will bring a lot more space for HD channels in English.

I also think that before that, some channels are going to migrate to digital only. I wouldn't be surprise if within a couple oif years, only the basic cable channels (read mandatory CRTC channels) are going to be available in analog. Rogers as stop offering analog service to new subscribers and Videotron will probably follow at some point.

HBO is a major brand and has major appeal to Canadians, even French Canadians, so I would be surprise if Videotron doesn't get HBO HD. MAybe not this month, but soon enough.
post #73 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-19, 10:46 AM
Veteran

There may not be a cost benefit from upgrading cable plant from 750 MHZ to 1 GHZ. Its incedibly expensive. I think the smarter thing to do is go SDV first, then eliminate the analog tiers, and possible go to MPEG-4 specifically for HD only. A 1 GHZ upgrade should be the last resort from a cost standpoint. Regarding HBO Canada, I think it would be smart for TMN to offer a French only feed for francophones in Quebec. I think it would do really well. Mind you, I dont know if HBO's slate of original programming is dubbed in French.
post #74 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-23, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Any new programs/new seasons will be exclusive to HBO.
This is just an unacceptable as losing True Blood and current HBO content. let's face it, HBO and showtime are coming up with some really darn good TV.

C'mon videotron, surprise us and do something great for us. Sadly, though I barely watch 4-5 hours of TV a week I really enjoy my HD content enough to be paying for pretty full HD package. My bill for TV and Internet is $110 a month and more than half is TV of course. this is with no internet overage and no PPV or anything extra.

if they told me tomorrow that they would get MPIX HD, HBO HD and Superchannel HD if I signes a 2-3 year contract I would volunteer 4 years!

in the meantime I am always rubbernecking to the competition. we might go back to getting a landline... any good deal might tempt me...

Rolando Avendaño
post #75 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-24, 05:05 PM
Rookie

Just got off the phone with Videotron customer service. The guy I spoke to was nice enough - but was clueless as to what is going on with HBO Canada. He was not even aware that Videotron currently airs HBO content from the USA - ouch !

Anyhow , he read the current Videotron 'standard reply' - which basically says they will not commit to showing HBO Canada - but are taking 'requests' from subscribers trying to gauge what kind of interest is out there - what a shame. Videotron is trailing others in HD content in general - and even moreso regarding English channels.

Like someone already mentioned , US based HBO shows should be simulcast for a while on both TMN and HBO Canada - but I really hope Videotron gets their act together - not just with HBO Canada - but with other channels as well.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in