Videotron 2008 New Channels Discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-09-28, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablecanada07 View Post
is illico will broadcast hbo canada?
TMN are basically re-branding MMore into HBO Canada, so it should be available on channel 212 when they "switch it on"... Though I doubt we will see the HD or west coast versions anytime soon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-09-28, 06:44 PM

If you are a Videotron customer which only operates in Eastern Canada then you won't be able to get the "West" coast feed of HBO Canada in either SD or HD because the west coast feeds are owned by and a multiplex channel of Movie Central. Currently Movie Central is not allowed to operate in Eastern Canada, so therefor HBO Canada West won't be able to operate in Eastern Canada, so Videotron will not be able to pick it up whether they would want to or not.

If Videotron already carries MMore HD then you will get HBO Canada East HD as TMN is only rebranding MMore HD to HBO Canada HD East.

Last edited by musimax; 2008-09-28 at 10:01 PM.
post #48 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-09-29, 12:19 PM

i have received an e-mail concerning hbo and see what they have wrote to me:
Mrs.,
Thank you for having taken the time to write us.

Astral Media announced its launching for October 30, 2008, the HBO Canada
channel, available with a subscription to The Movie Network service.

Vidéotron is presently studying the addition of this channel to our
services. However we have no information on the matter at the present
time.

We have registered your interest for this service.

Thank you for your collaboration.

Vicky Dionne
Vidéotron administrative services

post #49 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-09-29, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musimax View Post
If you are a Videotron customer which only operates in Eastern Canada then you won't be able to get the "West" coast feed of HBO Canada in either SD or HD because the west coast feeds are owned by and a multiplex channel of Movie Central.
Actually, Bell TV/StarChoice customers are supposed to be getting both feeds. Also it is a joint TMN/MC venture, so technically the west feeds are not owned by MC...
post #50 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-09-29, 07:10 PM

Bell TV and Star Choice are allowed to carry both the East and West coast feeds but they will be designated to and can only be viewed in each designated region. If you live in the East, you can only view the East coast feed and vise-versa if you live in the West.

Bell TV and Star Choice both carry TMN and Movie Central but TMN can only be viewed in Eastern Canada and Movie Central can only be viewed in Western Canada, it will be the same thing for HBO East and West. You will not be able to view both the East and West coast feeds.

And HBO Canada is not a joint venture in the sense that both companies own a stake in the channel. HBO Canada is only going to be a rebranded version of one of each networks multiplex channels. HBO Canada East will be a rebranded version of MMore which is owned by TMN and Movie Central will not own any part of that channel, it will be wholly owned by TMN. And HBO Canada West will be a rebranded version of one of Movie Centrals 4 multiplex channels and it will be wholly owned by Movie Central and TMN will not own any part of that channel. The only agreement here is that they plan on programming them the same, but that's it.
post #51 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-09-30, 03:22 PM

actually, belltv will offer both east and west and their client will be able to view both of their channels b'cause broadcastermagazine says that the west channel will be two hour differents.
post #52 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-09-30, 08:11 PM

That is impossbile. Bell will caryy both, but legally they cannot offer HBC West to anyone east of Manitoba.
post #53 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-09-30, 10:08 PM

I'm not sure what that "timeshifted" channel with a two hour delay Bell plans on offering is, but it can't be the HBO multiplex channel of Movie Central, they are not allowed to offer that channel or any other channel from Movie Central or Encore Avenue in Eastern Canada.
post #54 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-09-30, 11:09 PM
Veteran

Says who? This is HBO Canada, not MC or TMN.

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL Fibe | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One X
post #55 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-01, 04:03 PM

HBO Canada is a multiplex channel of TMN in the east and a multiplex channel of Movie Central in the west. It doesn't matter what they call it, they could call it Bob TV if they want, whatever it's called, it is still a TMN and Movie Central channel (owned and operated by them using the exact same CRTC licence as them) and cable, IPTV or satellite companies are not allowed to carry both channels in one area, ie both in the west or both in the east.

TMN is only changing the name of their current channel "MMore" to HBO Canada and Movie Central is changing the name of I believe "Movie Central 4" to HBO Canada. People seem to believe for whatever reason that HBO Canada is a completely new channel, independent of TMN or Movie Central and it's not, TMN and Movie Central are just changing the names of one of their current multiplex channels to HBO Canada, so HBO Canada is still legally obligated to operate under the same rules as MMore and Movie Central 4 does. And those rules are that TMN must operate in the east and MC must operate in the west and no one from the other side of the country can subscribe to the other. So if someone thinks that if you live in the east that you are going to get the real HBO Canada west, ie. the one owned by Movie Central, then think again, it's not going to happen.

What that timeshifted channel Bell plans on offering thats on a 2 hour tape delay is, I don't know, but if you live in the east, it won't be the HBO Canada west owned by Movie Central and vise-versa for the west.
post #56 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-01, 06:41 PM

here is what broadcaster magazine wrote:
Bell TV Launches HBO Canada
Bell today announced that it will add HBO Canada to its extensive Bell TV programming line-up beginning October 30. HBO is the world-renowned provider of premium TV services known
for ground breaking movies and TV series such as The Sopranos, Entourage and The Wire.

Bell TV will offer HBO Canada in both HD and Standard Definition. Bell TV will also
offer secondary HD and SD channels featuring HBO Canada's programming with a two-hour time difference, giving customers multiple opportunities to watch their favourite shows every day.

HBO Canada will be included with all Bell TV subscriptions to The Movie Network or Movie Central at no extra cost starting October 30.

Bell brought HBO's content to mobile phones in Canada earlier this year. The on-demand mobile service brings full episodes of HBO series to
subscribing Bell Mobility clients, as well as ringtones, wallpapers, clips of HBO trailers, bonus footage and comedy stand-up comedy clips.
post #57 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-02, 03:05 PM

any chance this means we will now get the othe TMN channel in HD? I don't care if it's called MMORE, HBO or COOLMOVIESINHD. If I can finally get another HD movie channel I will be one step closr to being happy with videotron. All I will be missing is MPIX HD and a channel to watch Smallville in HD!

Rolando Avendaño
post #58 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-03, 10:01 AM

Location: Cisco 8642HD-Sony KDL60NX810-Denon AVR-890-Paradigm 7.1-PS3s-XboX360s-HDA2-BDT-310 3D-BDP-CX960-ATV2
I wrote to Videotron asking them if they would carry the HD version of HBO Canada and all i got was the same generic answer everyone gets when they ask about new channels. ''they are looking into the channel and have registered my interest''...

Do you know how many times ive asked about MPIX HD? I cant believe they still dont carry it.

BTW, i have the same problem with Supernatural as you do with Smallville, no HD channels offer it...
post #59 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-03, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDEF View Post
BTW, i have the same problem with Supernatural as you do with Smallville, no HD channels offer it...
Yes, too bad CityTV no longer carries it, now it's on over 5 SD stations instead...
post #60 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-10-03, 10:17 PM
Veteran

Folks, if you look at the HBO Canada Thread, you will see that both Bell and StarChoice will offer the east and west feeds of HBO to ALL customers that subscribe to TMN or Moive Central. My assumption is that the HBO feed will be programmed by Astral Media and Movie Central will have a 2 hour delayed feed.

As for Videotron, my guess is just HBO SD East will be available and possibly the HBO HD East feed.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in