Videotron 2008 New Channels Discussion - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-04-30, 04:07 PM

Anyone know if Videotron will get Super Channel (SCHD1, SCDH2, etc) anytime soon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-05-06, 01:21 PM

Location: Cisco 8642HD-Sony KDL60NX810-Denon AVR-890-Paradigm 7.1-PS3s-XboX360s-HDA2-BDT-310 3D-BDP-CX960-ATV2
i dont see it happening anytime soon. Theyre concentrating on french HD to serve the major portion of their clientele.
post #33 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-05-11, 09:31 AM

Wasn't Super Channel marked as "must carry" by the CRTC?

I'm switching from Bell because of the cost and combine services rebate (don't have Bell internet in my area) but would hate to lose one of the 24/24 movie channels.

post #34 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-05-11, 06:26 PM

i think it is a must carry service the Super Channel. I have it and recently i have recorded lots of movies and i can't wait for the end of may and june b'cause they will show all six american pie movies.
post #35 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-05-15, 01:09 PM

Americandreams: I am not sure I understand what you mean... I do not see Super Channel on Videotron (not to be confused with Super Stations).

From what I can tell, Super Channel was flagged as "must carry" by the CRTC and I am wondering why Videotron is (allowed to) not offering it.
post #36 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-05-15, 08:39 PM

We definitely need more English HD channels... Super channel would be a very welcomed addition.

Rolando Avendaño
post #37 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-05-16, 10:35 AM

maybe if you wrote to them and suggest to them to add super channel perhaps they might if they do get lots of demand for it.
post #38 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-06-09, 08:56 PM

Teletoon Retro coming this september (Both French and English)

http://www.channelcanada.com/Article2235.html

Quote:
Télétoon Rétro to Launch This Fall
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 02:11 PM
Teletoon

Building on the phenomenal success of TELETOON Retro, TELETOON Canada inc. will launch a French language version of the classic cartoon channel this September. The launch will see the total number of Canadian homes receiving TELETOON Retro grow to over 5.8 million as Vidéotron illico Digital TV offers both the French and English channels as part of the TELEMAX package on channels 97 and 159 respectively.

“From day one TELETOON Retro has been an unprecedented success and launching a French channel has always been part of our plans,” said Len Cochrane, President, TELETOON Canada inc. “It is enormously satisfying to be bringing cartoon favourites to Francophone homes and I’m sure that this new channel will prove to be just as popular as its English counterpart.”

From September, the French language TÉLÉTOON Rétro is set to deliver classic cartoons specific for the Quebec market such as Rémi sans famille as well as bygone favourites beloved by audiences across Canada including Les amis Ratons (The Raccoons), Tom et Jerry (The Tom & Jerry Show) and Bugs Bunny et Tweety (The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show). Additional carriage is currently being secured for the new French language channel. The English language TELETOON Retro channel will also be available on illico Digital TV from September, featuring classics such as The Flintstones, Merrie Melodies, The Smurfs and Fraggle Rock.

To promote the launch of TÉLÉTOON Rétro, Bugs Bunny et Tweety will air each Saturday and Sunday night from 7 pm on the TELETOON French network from July 5, giving viewers a taste of what they can expect from the new digital specialty.

Since launching on October 1, 2007, TELETOON Retro has quickly risen to rank as the number two digital speciality channel with audiences 2+† and is number one with moms* and kids† testifying to the popularity of TELETOON Retro as a co-viewing destination, with parents sitting down to revisit the shows of their youth while their children encounter iconic animation for the very first time. The digital channel is also number one with teenagers (P12-17) †.

TELETOON Retro is now available on Access Communications (Ch. 271), Bluewater TV Cable and Ex-Cen Cablevision (Ch. 64), Cogeco Cable (Ch. 87), Compton Cable (Ch. 90), Execulink Cablecom (Ch. 130), ExpressVu Digital TV from Bell (Ch. 599), Mitchell Seaforth Cable TV (Ch. 545), Mountain Cablevision (Ch. 390), MTS Allstream Inc. (Ch. 235), SaskTel (Ch. 46), Shaw Cable (Ch. 67), Source Cable (Ch.123), Star Choice (Ch. 536), Rogers Digital Cable (Ch. 284), Ward Cable TV (Ch. 545) and Westman Communications (Ch. 68).

TELETOON Retro presents classic cartoons all day, everyday. A nostalgic throwback to favourites of the past, TELETOON Retro delivers new laughs with familiar friends in over 5.8 million Canadian homes. TELETOON Canada brings kids, youth and adults the best in animated entertainment with four nationwide specialty television channels, TELETOON English and French, and TELETOON Retro English and French. Founded in 1997, TELETOON Canada inc. is owned by Astral Media (50%) and Corus Entertainment (50%).

* BBM NMR Inc – Borealis Blended – Total Canada – 07-08 (Wks 6-34) – M-Su 6a-6a. Women aged 18-49 living in households with kids aged 2-5 of any digital station.

† Nielsen Media Research (August 27, 2007 - May15, 2008).

Last edited by Kloraff; 2008-06-10 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added quote and footnote thing
post #39 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-07-13, 02:18 PM

Well I suggest anyone interested in having Videotron carry Super Channel and offering TMN on demand write them... otherwise not much will happen. Just send them an email thru their web site:

Nous vous remercions d'avoir pris le temps de nous écrire concernant le
service The Movie Network on demand.

Ce service n'est présentement pas disponible chez Vidéotron. Nous sommes
toujours en négociation avec The Movie Network pour pouvoir offrir ce
service le plus rapidement possible. Nous n'avons à l'heure actuelle
aucune autre information à ce sujet, par contre, nous avons enregistrer
votre intérêt pour ce service.

Pour ce qui est de SUPER CHANNEL, vous n'êtes pas le premier à le demander,
nous avons donc ajouter votre nom à la liste des clients intéressés. Toutes
les compagnies de câblodistribution qui offrent le numérique ont une
limitation au niveau du nombre de canaux qu'ils peuvent offrir puisqu'ils
doivent concilier leur service avec les disponibilités sur leur bande
passante. Nous avons encore de la disponibilité, toutefois nous essayons de
mettre en ondes les canaux les plus demandés par notre clientèle et c'est
pour cette raison que l'intérêt que vous nous avez signifié est important
post #40 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-07-23, 10:14 PM

I noticed today that when surfing thru the channels that some SD ones have an HD symbol as well on the channel info banner. I wonder if this to remind us that an HD version of the channel exists. It is not on all SD channels that, in fact, have HD versions, but was on Showcase SD, Channel 76.

Wonder if it was a mistake or, more hopefully, Showcase HD is coming
post #41 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-07-24, 12:44 AM

maybe its just to tease us because we are not getting them for a long time
post #42 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-07-24, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanaks View Post
maybe its just to tease us because we are not getting them for a long time
Well, considering Quebecor just spent $556.0-million in the cell phone spectrum auction after losing tons of money on Quebecor World, I guess Videotron improvements are likely not coming anytime soon.
post #43 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-08-15, 06:15 AM
Rookie

Videotron is always improving their network for all services. The bandwidth on the cable is not only for the tv channels but for the internet and telephone as well and i heard that this month is Montreal they are doing some modifications on how the channels broadcast is working so it would enahnce the performace of the network and also allow to free some space on it.
post #44 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-08-31, 03:14 PM

Ok so TATV is taken off the air on Sep 3rd. That takes away an analog channel. Videotron is apparently not planning on replacing it, that leaves space for about 10 SD digital channel or 2 HD...

Any toughs on what will they put on?

They already announced that Teletoon Retro in English and French are coming, so these are not counted in the new space...TSN2 is now on air and has an HD version. Superchannel is still not on the air. And of course a lot of English HD channel are not there yet, like Showcase and MMore and Mpix and a few others.

There is also a few digital SD channel they could had. AND a lot of new HD French channel are coming and they might just wait on them like Mystere HD, LCN HD, etc...
post #45 of 92 (permalink) Old 2008-09-28, 12:30 PM

is illico will broadcast hbo canada? b'cause i've got to friends who are actually with videotron cable classic but they do want to change to digital.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in