Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Are Videotron music only channels full format?

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Kaphyr 
#1 ·
The music channels (501-546) are supplied by the CBC Galaxie network.

By the time these tunes arrive in my Illico, are they still full CD format (Redbook 44.1 khz/16 bit) or have they been compressed down to something similar to a MP3 file, either by Galaxie or Videotron?

These channels sound good, but my plastic CDs seem to sound better when played through the same home theatre system.

#3 ·
Jake, thanks for the update.

Redbook is about 1.4 mbs for stereo, so if Galaxie/Videotron transmit at 192 kbs, then that's a 7 to 1 compression.

That explains the lower sound quality compared to a CD.

Ironically, an .MP3 file upconverted to .WAV sounds better than Galaxie on the same sound system.

#6 ·
IMHO, Dolby Digital at 128 Kbps sounds a lot better than the old MP2 (Mpeg1 Layer2) at 128 Kbps. At 192 Kbps, there is still some subtle difference. Over 192 Kbps, the difference between the two format aren't that obvious.

I really don't understand why the Galaxy Audio channel use 128 Kbps in MP2 instead 192 Kbps in DD (as they were before). It doesn't make any sense. They only save a few Mbps and they don't used them !

Kaphyr
http://illico2.tripod.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.