Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Videotron DI-604 router configuration

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  i1699 
#1 ·
I have a DI-604 router that I am trying to configure to my Videotron high speed cable connection. I assume that Videotron uses dynamic IP addressing, but do I also have to clone the MAC address?
At the moment, the router does not pick up an ip address from the modem, so i can't surf, even though DHCP is enabled. Videotron' s DNS's have been entered correctly.
I am writng this directly connected to the modem, so computer and modem are correctly configured. Thanks for any assistance.

#4 ·
Thanks, problem solved

Thanks Jake and i1699; my modem is an Arris touchtone telephony modem model TM502. I first tried power cycling, but apparently the 8 hour battery backup, also maintains the configuration. I will go through the Arris manual to see if there is another reset somewhere, other than pulling the plug.

I had been a PPOE high speed user for 8 years, so entering the DNS values in the DI-604 seemed 'normal', but as you suggest, i1699, they are probably not required.
'Cloning' the MAC address, via the router set up, solved the problem for me.

#5 ·
Opps sorry I forgot to mention that you need to pull the battery too. I recently updated my wireless router and when through the same steps as you. The Arris' battery is easily removed from the side. Pop open the door and pull on the tab. I waited about 15 seconds and reinserted the battery.

#7 ·
Router speeds and RF interference

I also noticed that directly connected to the cable modem, I was obtaining 6.2 MBps during download speedtests, but while connected to the router, the speed would drop to 1.5 MBps on two connected computers. The router was inches from a powerbar and the cable modem; after 'separation' to about 24 inches, and tie-wrapping power cords separate from lan cables, the router speeds increased to 6.0. The DI-604 is apparently, quite sensitive to magnetic/electrical interference. Has anybody ever experienced this with other routers?

#8 ·
DI-604 is pretty basic and I wouldn't be surprised if it did max 1.5Mbit. Also sometimes if you use all 4 ports with users actively copying/moving stuff over the LAN, this thing can overheat and freeze.
I have revision C1, and it has ARM7 processor. Later revisions have ARM9.
I did not find any interference problems, even though my modem and a router are approx. 2cm apart from each other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.