Problem getting full HD 16:9 picture to display - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2007-09-16, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Problem getting full HD 16:9 picture to display

Hi all,

I am complete newb when it comes to operating HD hands-on; after three years of reading, doing my research and waiting, I took the plunge and bought last week the Sony KDS55A2020 SXRD and hooked it up on Friday to a SA 8300 HD PVR via the Videotron Illico service here in Montreal.

My problem: While I can ostensibly view the HD channels I have in HD, for some reason they are all getting "clipped" so that no matter what I try with my TV or PVR settings, the HD image is getting cut off at the normal 4:3 sides. When I press "guide" on the PVR remote the full 16:9 HD image appears complete in the upper right of the channel listing, but when I go back to select it, sure enough the image is cut off in a 4:3 aspect ratio. In other words, watching the sports crawl for TSN HD at the bottom of the screen, the "TSN" logo at the lower right of the screen is cut off half-way into the "S" irrespective of whether I watch it in 4:3 or stretch it to 16:9, wide, wide zoom, or anything else.

The TV recognizes the PVR is sending a 16:9 signal (in theory), because it does automatically convert that channel to "wide" mode, but what it's actually doing is stretching an HD feed in 4:3 to 16:9; I need to cycle through the "WIDE" mode settings to return to 4:3 to view the HD signal, but with the missing image on the left and right.

I'm connected via component cables for now (waiting on HDMI cables from Monoprice ) and in my setup of the PVR, ran through the picture options and enabled everything (1080i, 720p, etc.). I also set the picture format to "Pass-through" on the PVR.

Can somebody please offer some advice? I'm getting completely baffled and frustrated now that I'm actually trying to deal with HD myself; I was really hoping I'd be able to enjoy tonight's Pats-Chargers game with a perfect picture, but I'm losing hope rapidly...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2007-09-16, 03:07 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Sounds as though you've already done most of the correct things.

Do a cold reboot (unplug, wait a few seconds, replug) the STB.

Check the settings to make sure that passthrough is still enabled.

Also re-run the advanced setup wizard to ensure that you've enabled the appropriate formats (480i STANDARD, 720P and 1080i).

Also, press the # button on the STB remote repeatedly to ensure that you haven't invoked one of the stretch modes on the STB. You should be on "normal" or non-stretch, or whatever it's called. You can also see if you're in normal by pressing the settings button once and scrolling up to the stretch modes. I believe this may be your problem.

Since you have an SXRD, you should be viewing SD content in 4:3 unstretched for the best picture quality and for no image distortion.

If you have any other (non-HD) video cables connected from the STB to the TV (like composite, S-video or RF-coax) remove them during troubleshooting. You may wish to leave them disconnected so that no problems arise when you switch to that input.

Have a look at the following. More information and the links therein.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2007-09-17, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Your recommendations made the difference - I got the setup to work in time for last night's game. Thanks so much for your advice!

Interestingly enough, I think it was less the hard reboot that I did than the adjustment to the picture formats that you had recommended. Nowhere in the instructions did I understand that I only needed to activate the three formats you mentioned; during the advanced setup, I could see all six formats when I ran through the test, so I assumed that if I could see them, I could save them (the guide said that if there'd be a problem, the screen wouldn't be able to display them).

In any event, by deleting the three picture formats you hadn't mentioned (480i wide, 480p wide, 480p standard) - and with the hard reboot - things finally got as they needed to be. Do you think having all had four 480 picture formats active prior to the adjustment was the problem?

Thanks again.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2007-09-17, 02:14 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Do you think having all had four 480 picture formats active prior to the adjustment was the problem?
No, I don't think so. I just like to minimize the potential problems/contributors when making recommendations for troubleshooting.

I believe that if you ran the setup wizard now, enabling all the formats that you probably wouldn't have any problems, but since there is no need for the "other" formats, there is no need to have them enabled.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in