8300 losing 'scheduled recordings - reboot fixes - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 2007-03-22, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

8300 losing 'scheduled recordings - reboot fixes

Twice in the last two months I looked for a regularly scheduled program (last nights Lost for example) only to find out it wasn't recorded. Then I checked the scheduled recordings to find only 2 of the 10 shows usually on that list as scheduled!

After unplugging the STB and booting up, the shows were there.

Has anyone had any experience with this scenario?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 2007-03-22, 04:22 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
This is very common. A cold reboot - unplug/replug is the first thing to try if something is amiss with a STB:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17719

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 2007-03-27, 01:10 AM

Question Frozen 8300HD

I recently had my 8300HD freeze after trying to play a recorded programme. I tried the hard reboot several times, leaving some time before plugging in and rebooting. No change. I called videotron and they told me to push various buttons on my tv remote. After a number of variations, everything worked! Unfortunately, the STB froze again on 2 different nights, and nothing would fix it even with the help of Videotron. They are sending a repair person who will probably change the STB. The funny thing is that in between these times, everything worked again! I was told that even if it is working when the repairman comes, it should be changed because it is unreliable. He'll be here in 2 days, but it's working fine today. It had been working fine for a year.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 2007-03-28, 06:40 PM

The repairman came today and changed my STB for a new one even though it was working well at the time. It was still guaranteed.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 2007-03-30, 05:23 PM

Alas! The new 8300HD froze last night! Videotron tried everything, but with no luck. Most of the time I selected a recording to play, the STB froze, even when I was on the phone with them. They're going to send another repairman to check the grounds outside and possibly give me another new STB. It was suggested that my case is so unusual, it must be my outlet or something else for which they must not be responsible. Am I really alone in this situation? I was told that the 8300HD is not one of the ones that gives many problems.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 2007-03-31, 10:23 AM

I also have this problem sometimes. I go to channel 998 press List, Select and play but the recording don't start. This is my trick:
1-If the recording don't start, push the Fast forward button
2-Change to any other channel
3-Come back to 998 and then, most of the time, the recording is there in pause mode, just push the play button and the recording start.

I also note that if you want to watch an HD recording, this one will sometimes start smoothly if you were on a live HD channel just before play the recording and same thing for SD recordings, since the 8300 don't have to make a conversion from 480i to 1080i etc... Hope this can help.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 2007-04-01, 01:26 AM

Smile Freezing 8300HD OK now?

Thanks for your input, Kanakanak. Unfortunately, your advice to push different buttons is not good for me because after I select "Play" from my list, the TV goes black and none of the buttons function on my remote or the STB ; I can't even turn off the power. Eventually it reboots, or I unplug it to reboot faster. Then it might freeze again or it might work properly.

I cancelled the repairman this morning because everything was working on the new STB last night and today, although it had been freezing earlier yesterday. No problem tonight either. Just to be sure, I reorganized the connections between the outlet, the extension, the TV, the VCR, and the STB. It's neater now, but it had already been working well. I hope that's going to continue.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 2007-04-01, 10:43 AM

Vaudry,

I also experienced the problem you are describing. It was about a month and half ago, and happened intermittently for a couple of days. It really PO'd me the first time it happened as I was recording programs at the same time. At least the recordings restarted themselves after the 8300HD rebooted itself, but I still lost several minutes of the programs.

I was trying to find a pattern to the freeze ups, but the problem went away on its own and has not happened again since.

Strange.

I've been thinking of doing the hard drive format thing for a while, but I have so many scheduled recordings it would be a major pain to get them all back in. :-)

Regards,
...jim

Toshiba 42HDX82, SA8300HD (HDMI->DVI), Yamaha HTR-5440 (Optical), Samsung BD-P3600 (Component)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 2007-04-03, 01:12 PM

Thanks for your input, JimBrown. Would you believe it froze again a couple of times again after I cancelled the repairman! Then it worked again for a day. It seems OK now, but this is happening too often. The only solution they seem to have is to change the STB, but how can there be so many faulty ones? I see that you are in Ontario and I'm in Sherbrooke, Quebec, so it isn't a local problem. Argh!!!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 2007-04-05, 05:06 PM

first off call for a technician he will check if you signal is okay as for your installation too(good ground,good wire) and then they will be able to see if your box needs to be change.Since the unit is a 2 way signal(receive and answer)if there is a problem of signal this is normal maybe your unit freeze and you lost your guide

J
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 2007-04-06, 06:12 PM

SARA Anomalies

That's exactly what happened with the repairman the last time he was here and replaced the STB. I haven't had any more freezing since the last time I wrote, but some of my scheduled recordings disappeared.

I checked the info suggested at DH help. Everything seemed fine,except for "SARA Anomalies" which had all orange info. I called Videotron,but they had no idea about what I was saying. Does anyone know if this info is significant?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 2007-04-07, 11:24 PM

With respect to the original topic of this thread, for the second time in less than a month, all but one of the 20 scheduled programs were missing from the list.

I did a soft reboot (vol+,vol-,info buttons as same time) and all my list was restored, just like the first time.

This is not a hardware microprocessor problem. If it was, many more management features would be not functioning.

Since the missing information was always hiding on a particular sector on disk, it appears to me to be operating system (OS) related whereby a list of pointers in memory for various data records on disk is being wiped out.

A soft or hard reboot must be forcing the OS to rescan the disk area looking for the scheduled program data records and then rebuilding the previously lost list of pointers.

If I remember correctly, there was a new version of the OS distributed in early February or March. My problem started in early March.

Assuming there is a software bug in the latest OS, it's hard for me to imagine that only a few of us would be getting the same issue of a lost schedule.

What could we have in common with the number/options of the programs in our scheduled list which could make us the only ones having this problem?

Montreal
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 2007-04-08, 03:05 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
I suspect that what happens to some STBs/people is that the firmware (in RAM) becomes corrupt somehow (much like it does on many computers if you leave them on and never reboot). A reboot simply reloads the firmware and the issues go away, just like a reboot often cures an issue on a computer.

A monthly reboot of the STB is a recommended procedure in the "tips". (turning the STB off doesn't perform a reboot of the STB, it simply sends it into "standby".)

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 2007-04-08, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
I suspect that what happens to some STBs/people is that the firmware (in RAM) becomes corrupt somehow (much like it does on many computers if you leave them on and never reboot). A reboot simply reloads the firmware and the issues go away, just like a reboot often cures an issue on a computer.

A monthly reboot of the STB is a recommended procedure in the "tips". (turning the STB off doesn't perform a reboot of the STB, it simply sends it into "standby".)

That's an excellent explanation and an excellent suggestion.

I recently retired from a company after spending more than 25 years debugging multi-million dollar custom written industrial control software which was purchased from contractors at the same time I was originally hired.

In the beginning, our systems (we had about a dozen of these) could run no more than 24 hours before crashing. Over the years, our team slowly sorted through the bugs and at some point, our systems were staying up for as long as 6 weeks continuously before an incident.

Sometimes there would be a power failure which would put an end to the endurance test, sometimes it was unscheduled hardware maintenance by our technicians.

But we never had any doubts that for some hardware or software reason, these systems would crash sooner or later.

Rebooting a SA8000 series PVR on a regular basis is an intelligent approach in dealing with a complex system which no doubt will be more vulnerable to having a problem within its volatile RAM memory as they age.

It would be nice if one could program into the PVR a moment in every week when a scheduled soft re-boot could be achieved without bothering the owner. Afterall, if Videotron can randomly download a new SARA version, surely a reset can be automatically triggered locally or remotely on a regular bases.

But would a company like SA be embarrassed to admit that this is a reasonable and necessary approach that goes hand and hand with ownership of a complex machine?

We have two computers in our home office and each gets rebooted every day so we have no idea how long these would survive before a crash. But in the basement is a computer running Win98 which looks after my HVAC system and it will run 26 days before the internal clock counts through its full cycle and causes an overflow error in my control program. This is a known problem with programmers who use the Visual Basic GetTicKCount function. Most of the time, Win98 stays up for the full 26 days. Occasionally a power failure causes a reboot.

I will be adding the missing protection against the clock overrun to my program and then see how long Win98 can crunch away before crashing.

How many micro-computer based appliances do you have in your house which are on all the time and what is the longest time they stay up before being corrupted?

For me, it would be my less sophisticated Honeywell programmable thermostat which has been up 15 months since I last changed the battery. It can't afford to crash, else my pipes might freeze while I'm away on my winter vacation.

Montreal
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 2007-10-08, 06:57 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I am pleased to report (knock wood) that it has been months since the last time my STB lost it's schedule and needed a soft or hard reboot to restore it.

There has been suggestion that flakey volitile RAM memory was the cause.

It may be that the latest SA firmware upgrade contained a new feature that causes the non-volitile copy of the schedule on disk to be used to periodically update the volitile copy in RAM, eliminating the need to manually reboot the STB at least once a week as a precaution.

Montreal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in