8300HD getting confused. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 2007-02-06, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

8300HD getting confused.

My wife had added a Auto-record for "Desperate Housewives" (Record All Episodes on this Channel in this time slot)
It usually plays on Sundays (ABCHD) 9:00 - 10:00 pm

To my surprise it is showing up in the "scheduled recording" to be recorded today.

This has happened in the past, (example 24, prison break showing up to be recorded on Wednesday) but according to the Videotron Technician, this is normal if the 8300HD doesn't have enough Guide data (apparently it only has guide data anywhere from 3-6 days, and that's it) and that it gets auto-corrected when the guide data arrives.
In fact it did get auto-corrected in the past, but not this time.

The 8300HD has guide data for today (I hope ...lol) but it still shows that it will record Desperate Housewives.

In fact I looked at the guide to see what's playing on ABCHD at 9:00 PM and I see Primetime in red (indicating that it will be recorded)
I tried "Edit the recoding of Primetime" and the PVR went into editing "Desperate Housewives"

Is this something common that I have to live with? (not used to this having lived with TiVo

Last edited by 57; 2007-02-06 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Post edited to remove swearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 2007-02-06, 07:11 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
This is a firmware and IPG issue. I'm not sure if Videotron have the same issues as Rogers, however, you are not alone in experiencing the frustration that goes along with the "workarounds" required to make these systems work, due, for example to TiVo patents, copyrights.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=58246 see post 2.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...520#post292520

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 2007-02-06, 08:06 PM

Yep, it's a bug due to the guide being only 3 days. If we put the guide to 7 days, it's gonna be to big for certain illico box.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 2007-02-06, 08:48 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Interesting comment SyStEm[666], as Rogers has a 7 day guide and I believe use the same STBs.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 2007-02-06, 10:03 PM
Veteran

I believe Rogers *only* uses SA boxes; SyStEm[666] said the limitation was due to some Illico boxes (which Videotron also uses). I suppose we (Rogers customers) should be happy we don't have that to deal with.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 2007-02-06, 11:33 PM

I don't have the full specs on the illico box from Rogers and Vidéotron. Maybe it can be with the software limitation, but from what I heard, it's more from a hardware limitation, but I cannot be 100% sure of that.

But, I know that Vidéotron had already test to put the guide to 7 days, but it cause a lot of trouble so they put it back at 3 days.

The only thing I know, it's that Vidéotron know that trouble and is trying to fix that, but when, no idea. We will only know when it's gonna be fix :P
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 2007-02-07, 12:53 AM

wprager, Rogers also uses the Pace STBs.

For the various STBs Rogers may specify a different "submodel" as they do come in different iterations, however, even people with the older STBs still have the 7 day guide. I therefore believe there must be other differences than the STBs.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 2007-02-07, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the responses.
I got dizzy reading all about those problems.
So the take home message is:
- Live with it
- It would have recorded Primetime, but not Saved at the end, how does that work, why does it record and then realize not to save? what would have happened if I had two other recordings for that time slot?
- I gather that guide data only for 3 days is the root of the problem, but how? There was no Desperate Housewives, how could it have matched Primetime to DHW.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 2007-02-08, 04:45 PM

Videotron's guide has 4 days, that i'm sure.
Planning for 7 days, but they have no date to give, since there's a lot of
old terminals (Explorer 2000), that's the main problem. Also don't forget they have a lot of applications in both langages, lot of space taken by those apps also.
But i do know they plan to put 7 days guide exclusively for the 8000 and 8300 series, sorry that i don't know when it's going to be in place.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 2007-02-15, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Back to this annoyance again.

Does any of the experienced users or experts here have suggestions on how to run this without the constant baby sitting that it appears to require.

Monday, it didn't record 24, not even the first hour
I suppose just because the length of the show was 2hrs it threw the device into a confusion.

Yesterday it was showing that it would record Bones (which I never scheduled) when I drilled down to the details to see why? I found out that it thought it was recording Prison Break.
I suppose anytime the show is not broadcast on it's weekly scheduled time, it confuses the device (there was no Prison Break Monday)

Yesterday it recorded a repeat of last weeks Lost, but not the first run of this week's Lost.

Thank God for my SD Tivo, I'm not missing any of my shows, but this is getting very irritating, I want to watch HD, that's why I paid $500 for this dumb box.

Is there any hope? or do I constantly need to baby sit this device to make sure it records what I need it to record?

Years of Tivo use, I never ever bothered checking what's playing on what channel at what time slot, now I need to be constantly aware of the TV programming to make sure that the dumb device is properly lined up
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 2007-02-15, 01:52 PM

Sorry, some baby-sitting is required. The SA8300HD doesn't have a "first run" option.

If the networks would stop moving all the programmes around, stop changing the start/stop times, etc, and if the IPG suppliers for Videotron/Rogers would actually provide accurate information it would be a bit easier for us.

Unfortunately it's not as good as TiVo, but then instead of paying a large fee per month, you're getting this information "mostly for free"... The reason for some of this was already explained in post 2.

I can see how people who have TiVo are very frustrated, but for most people who have used a VCR, or nothing, it's a big setup up. Depends a bit on your perspective.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 2007-02-15, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

You're absolutely right.
Ignorance is a bliss, and I don't mean to insult anybody, after being so used to Tivo, this is a big stepping down.
And I don't buy the argument that I'm not paying big monthly fees, to me the cost of this PVR is similar to a lifetime Tivo ownership cost + the Tivo cost, though I'm talking SD Tivo, I realize HD Tivos are very expensive.

Thanks again for your prompt response.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 2007-02-22, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

and the saga continues ...

yesterday I noticed that it had scheduled to record Lost 9:00pm - 10:00pm (which happens to be last week's repeat) but not 10:00pm - 11:00pm (first run)
so I went to the Guide, selected 10:00 - 11:00 show and chose to record All Episodes.

I was expecting it to record both 9:00pm show and 10:00 pm shows
to my surprise it only recorded 10:00pm show
as if it could only handle one entry for show called "Lost".
not that I really needed to record the repeat, but what if there were two consecutive 1 hr first run shows? does this mean there is no way to record both? if they happen to be named the same.

I find this highly odd that it records tons of repeats but not two consecutive shows.

At first I thought I have done something wrong, but I was discussing the matter with a colleague who reported the exact same thing happening to him.

I am forcing myself to accept this device with all its limitations, however I would like to learn from the experienced, the best way to utilize this device.

Thanks
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 2007-02-22, 04:19 PM

You need to understand how things work.

If you set a new "all episode" recording, whether it be "timeslot" or "all", it will START with the first recording you programme and then record any FUTURE recordings. Therefore, setting a 10PM recording will miss the 9AM one in the same way a if you programme it to start on Friday, it will not record anything on the Wednesday Thursday before that Friday. It WILL (should) record any subsequent programmes, depending on how you set it up and how the "inconsistent titles" come into play.

The "two consecutive show" issue could be a bug - not sure - it has been mentioned before... I set up two "timeslot" recordings for Sunday morning (Penn & Teller BS on Channel 280) and after the first week, only one was left. I have left the one in place and do a "one episode" recording each week to catch the other.

As I mentioned before, for HD programmes that have "issues", I set "one episode" recordings each week to avoid these issues. Yes, it's a pain and it should not be required, but until we get a better IPG and firmware, that's the way it is.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 2007-02-22, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks again 57, you're amazing
I get immediate response from you, that's just amazing
I don't get that kind of service from Videotron even though they take my money and you don't

Are there any groups or discussions about hacking 8300HD to improve its functionality.
I don't mean to steal service or anything that one is not entitled to, but rather hacks that improve the 8300HD, something similar to Tivo hack discussions.

If this is taboo or shouldn't be discussed, I understand, and again I don't mean anything illegal, please kindly wipe this post if you feel it is inappropriate.

with so many 8300HD in circulation, one would think there is some huge audience that would benefit from group discoveries and improvements.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in