HDMI Issues on Videotron - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 129 (permalink) Old 2007-01-02, 01:03 PM

A little update,

From what it do at my job, the procedure have change a little, it seem the be working all right...

First, when you have the message that your tv doesn't support HDCP, just close your tv, remove the power cord from the illico, wait 5 seconde. Plug it back, wait until the hour come back in front of the illico. After that, open the tv, wait 5-10 seconde and open the illico. It should be working.

Again, to avoid this to open, assure you to always open your tv before the illico.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 129 (permalink) Old 2007-01-03, 03:42 PM

Thank you SyStEm[666]. I did as what you said, but my Dell 2407WFP LCD monitor says "Out of Range, can't display this video format. Please change the computer video output to [email protected]" My monitor only has DVI port. What shall I do?
post #63 of 129 (permalink) Old 2007-01-03, 08:16 PM

From the little research on internet that I've done, your LCD will not work with an illico, since the HD signal, 1080i, is 1920x1080 and not 1920x1200,... So, I don't think it will ever work with your monitor

post #64 of 129 (permalink) Old 2007-01-04, 12:03 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Have a look in the HTPC forum for information on using the LCD with a STB. Perhaps if you set the output for 720P only, it may work...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #65 of 129 (permalink) Old 2007-01-04, 10:29 PM

Pace 551HD HDMI issue

Hi all,

I've been in touch with Pace for a number of months concerning the HDMI Handshake issue.

They (through SA who provides the software) have completed their "fix" and have sent Videotron the updated firmware. As a matter of fact Videotron has had it now for more than three weeks, but we do not.

If you want to keep an eye open for it, go to your diagnostics menus - press and hold the enter button (between the vol + -, ch + - buttons on the box) until the mail icon blinks, and then press info. There is 21 pages of tech info. You use your vol +/- buttons (on the unit) to go through the pages (page numbers are at the very bottom of the screen).

What we are looking for - when it is deployed - is on page 17, the HAL driver will be 1.504. When you are finished press the exit button on the box to get rid of the diagnostics screens.

According to the videotron techs they are still testing it.

Hope this helps,

z
post #66 of 129 (permalink) Old 2007-01-05, 03:34 PM

Cool..interesting...thanks!

I also noticed on one of those pages in the diagnostics menu (this was a few weeks ago)...somewhere it said "HDMI OUTPUT: OFF"

So I wonder if it will say "ON" once the update comes thru.
post #67 of 129 (permalink) Old 2007-01-08, 10:47 AM

Angry HDCP = HD CRIPPLED PACE

Quote:
First, when you have the message that your tv doesn't support HDCP, just close your tv, remove the power cord from the illico, wait 5 seconde. Plug it back, wait until the hour come back in front of the illico. After that, open the tv, wait 5-10 seconde and open the illico. It should be working.

Again, to avoid this to open, assure you to always open your tv before the illico.
Every time someone forgets to turn on the TV before the PACE *or* when the PACE is on with the TV off, for example to record to VCR, we lose HDCP. Not only that, but the HDCP error message comes out on the downconverted outputs, which ruins the recording.

BTW to cold boot a PACE without having to pull the power cord: Three Finger Salute: On the box (not the remote) with power off, hold buttons (Vol+) (Vol-) (INFO) for about 3s.

Also, it takes 3-5 min for the PACE to restart from a cold boot.

I've given up on HDMI until the supposed Feb 07 firmware upgrade.
post #68 of 129 (permalink) Old 2007-01-08, 11:27 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
BTW to cold boot a PACE without having to pull the power cord: Three Finger Salute: On the box (not the remote) with power off, hold buttons (Vol+) (Vol-) (INFO) for about 3s.
That's a warm reboot and may not solve all the issues that a cold reboot can.

See the Digital Home FAQ (under help) "Tips for SA STBs (and Pace)", where this is discussed.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #69 of 129 (permalink) Old 2007-01-10, 03:14 PM

Another frustrating HDMI issue I've experienced is that the Pace551 routinely switches back to 2 channel PCM audio encoding despite that the channel supports Dolby Digital 5.1 and I'm using coax digital out to my receiver while the HDMI goes directly to my 9UK. The fix is for me to go into the setup menu and select Dolby Digital as the audio output format. It typically resets to PCM when I change resolution and/or enable different stretch modes on the 551 and/or change channels. Once it decides that the handshake doesn't support 5.1 sound, I'm stuck in 2 channel PCM until I manually change it back. It has something to do with the auto-DVI resolution setting which obviously is my preferred viewing mode for mixed SD and HD material. Futhermore, the PCM output level on HD channels is considerably lower than the DD output. grrrr. I think I'll be going back to component.
post #70 of 129 (permalink) Old 2007-01-24, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Location: Montréal: Akai PDP4273; Bell 6131, Xbox 360, Philips Soundbar
January 24th update

They rolled out a new update this morning...

My TV quit... it would negotiate over and over and over ... endless for 15 min and finally the Pace would give up and turn itself off.

I called Videotron expecting to have the downgrade talk but the tech threw me a curveball.

"We have an alternative firmware for you. The tech department asked us to notify if anyone had problems"

So sometime tonight I'll recieve it... if anyone else is having problems it's worth a call to Videotron.

C.
post #71 of 129 (permalink) Old 2007-01-25, 09:58 AM

1- unplug the stb
2- unplug the TV
3- remove the hdmi cable at both ends
4- plug the stb
5- wait for the time to appear on the stb
6- plug the TV, power it on and select the correct hdmi input
7- plug the hdmi cable on TV and then on STB

should be fine
post #72 of 129 (permalink) Old 2007-01-25, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Location: Montréal: Akai PDP4273; Bell 6131, Xbox 360, Philips Soundbar
That's all fine and you'll get an image but the minute you turn off the TV and/or Pace it will never renegotiate again. It just tries over and over until it gives up.

I can't leave my TV on 24 hours a day, nor can I unplug the box and plug it back in every time I want to watch TV. I don't care about leaving the box on all the time - but the minute the TV is switched off, it will never come back until I unplug and plug back in.

Anyhoo.. I was downgraded this morning after calling again. Why do you have to always call twice to get things done? *sigh*
post #73 of 129 (permalink) Old 2007-01-25, 04:24 PM

got the same problem as craigstar
post #74 of 129 (permalink) Old 2007-01-25, 07:14 PM

This upgrade was supposed to fix the HDCP hardware hanshake problem using HDMI out. So besides the two who chimed in saying it does not work...

Can anyone confirm that the firmware upgrade fixed the problem?

And even more granular, does anyone have the Pace going via HDMI into a AV receiver, then out of the AV receiver via HTML to the display.

Please let us know.

z
post #75 of 129 (permalink) Old 2007-01-26, 01:06 PM

OK, I'll answer the question myself (dove into the "closet" and hooked it up).

Here's my setup...

Pace 551HD->HDMI->Pioneer Elite 84TXSi->HDMI->Pannasonic Projector AX100.

I leave the Pace on all the time.

HDMI does indeed work, but not perfectly.

The handshake between the Pace and the receiver is shaky. Each time the receiver is turned on it takes approx. 30 sec. for them to talk nice to each other.

This also occurs when switching from standard def. channels to HD for the first time it negotiates fine after the first one.

And also switching inputs on the receiver from (for ex.) DVD back to the Pace.

The audio is also transmitted correctly through HDMI (digital PCM stream).

So all in all, still some glitches and still not worth removing the component cables for me.

Hope this helps,

z

ps. Notes:

- The firmware upgrade took about 15 min. to complete and is (as Pace had told me HAL ver. 1.504 (page 17 of diagnostics) - I will be calling them again about the negotiation issue.

- To switch between the component and HDMI sources you have to do the full reboot (unplug for 30 sec) for the Pace to recognize the change.

- I have tried setting the Pace to output only my TV's native resolution as per videotrons suggestion -- it did not help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in