HDMI Issues on Videotron - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-11-16, 02:41 PM

Honestly, it is a problem with the Pace 551HD box. I had the same problem with my HD551 box. As soon as I changed my receiver to the SA8200 HD-PVR I no longer have this issue with HDMI. I get a picture within 2-3 seconds of my TV input being changed to HDMI/HDCP.

With the Pace box, it would take 30 seconds to up to two minutes before I would get a signal, sometimes I would get the error that my TV did not support HDCP.

I would have to unplug the box and restart to get a signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-12-12, 04:26 PM

Add myself to the list of unhappy Videotron customers. I have same problem as most people here. Cannot hook Pace 551HD to Samsung HPS-4273 via HDMI. "TV not supporting HDCP" message. Is there new solutions or people just have to go with component cables? Would be much nicer to have 1 HDMI cable from Pace to TV than thick component cables.

Samsung HP-S4273C, Pace 551HD, Videotron, Oppo-970, Yamaha YSP-800.
post #48 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-12-19, 10:59 PM

I'm also having issues, although a bit different than most of you. I have the Pace551 connected through HDMI directly to my HD ViewSonic3752w.

My problem is this: For some god forsaken reason...the sound doesn't work properly. I can turn it up or down from my TV remote...but NOT from my Pace remote. But I CAN mute from my Pace remote. Does that make sense? How is that even possible?

Anyone else having trouble with this?

post #49 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-12-20, 12:08 AM

Normal, because you didn't program the remote control to do it, and with ViewSonic's Tv, it's impossible because they have no universal code
post #50 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-12-20, 05:22 PM
Edd

It ain't over yet

Spent an hour on the phone with a (friendly and patient) Videotron tech after I took delivery of my HD LCD. Pioneer HDMI switching receiver, RocketFish cables, 1080p DVD player - all the trimmings. After serveral resets (of the Pace 551 box and the screen), the tech acknowledges that it's a software issue with the box and he suggests a "downgrade" is in order. He informs me that Videotron engineers are working on the problem and that a fix should appear eventually. Oy.

I suspect HDCP protocol parameters are being modified continually in order to stay ahead of hackers? Meantime, HD screen owners like me (and MANY others coming online this "holiday season") are being short-changed.
post #51 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-12-20, 10:48 PM

Hi SyStEm[666], what do you mean I didn't program the remote to do it? I had already heard that the viewsonic doens't have a universal code, but that shouldn't matter for volume control from the Pace remote.

If the volume is being sent from the Pace, to the TV through the HDMI cable, and I control the Volume from the Pace remote, then it should work, No?

Like I said, it works for the mute button, and it used to work fine when I had my component cables connected, I don't see why the HDMI connection should be any different.
post #52 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-12-20, 11:13 PM

Vidéotron engineers are not working on the problem. Vidéotron is not licensed by HDMI Licensing LLC; Vidéotron could be charged with piracy if they even tried to fool around with HDMI/HDCP code.

The tech didn't know what he was talking about or didn't want to get into details. Only SA can fix this.
post #53 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-12-21, 12:05 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
If the volume is being sent from the Pace, to the TV through the HDMI cable, and I control the Volume from the Pace remote, then it should work, No?
No. When you were using the component video connection, you were probably using the analogue audio cables (red/white). The variable volume on the STB can control analogue audio, however, it cannot control DD volume, hence it doesn't work for HDMI.

If you want to control the volume via the STB, connect the analogue audio connections to the HDMI input on the TV (be careful you do this correctly because some HDMI inputs don't have an analogue audio input associated with it). I'm not sure if you need to disable the HDMI audio out in the STB menu...

With all the HDMI issues on this STB, why not use CV?

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #54 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-12-21, 10:00 AM

Same problem here with my Pace 551 and Daytek LM37 37" LCD. Plug it into the HDMI input, and it says "this TV is not HDCP compliant" boo....

Actually, I just got a new Denon 2807 HDMI receiver, and cant get the HDMI to work properly either. After reading about all this "Handshake" stuff, it seems to be trying to "shake hands" with my TV (I can hear it clicking over and over) and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. I gotta turn the TV off and on again, orthe receiver.

HDMI is a ROYAL pain in the ass
post #55 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-12-21, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
No. When you were using the component video connection, you were probably using the analogue audio cables (red/white). The variable volume on the STB can control analogue audio, however, it cannot control DD volume, hence it doesn't work for HDMI.

With all the HDMI issues on this STB, why not use CV?
I didn't realize that. Good to know. And yes, at this point, screw HDMI. Way too much of a hasle. I'll go back to component.

But I'll also call Videotron to complaint about the HDCP issue.

Thanks
post #56 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-12-21, 11:21 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
GooseMan, the HDMI issue with AV Receivers has been discussed numerous times in the forum. It has to do with incompatibility of the firmware of the STB and the AVR. Do a search for HDMI Receivers - plenty of previous discussion. Currently I believe no cable STBs and AV Receivers are compatible, so you need to go directly to the TV with HDMI for video and use a digital audio connection to the AVR (or use CV for video).

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #57 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-12-21, 03:31 PM

Hey 57,

Thanks for the info. I ended up reading a TON of info on HDMI, HDCP and AVR's and all the issues. My main problem was that even with JUST the AVR hooked up to the TV via HDMI, I was still having problems.

What I tried was hooking up my STB to the AVR via component, then my oppo to AVR via HDMI, then the AVR output to my TV via HDMI. I managed to be able to watch DVD's thru the HDMI, but my component STB didnt come thru for some reason

So now, in the end, I used component from STB to AVR, component to the TV, and the DVD player is plugged directly into my TV via HDMI. The audio is all going thru the AVR.

Actually, if anyone needs, I have two nice, high quality Phillips HDMI cables. They were bought at Costco...$35 each!
post #58 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-12-29, 10:52 PM

PACE 551HD box doesn't work with my brand new Dell 2407WFP LCD monitor either. It says my monitor doesn't support HDCP, however, many reviews said my monitor does.
post #59 of 129 (permalink) Old 2007-01-01, 09:21 PM

Hi,
I have the same problem with pace 551 sometimes.

I have tv panasonic viera, i have sony audio receiver(for home theater) and my hdmi cable from pace 551 goes to audio sony receiver first and from receiver also through hdmi into tv

I use Sony audio receiver as a hdmi switch between pace551 hdmi connection and samsung dvdplayer hdmi connection.
Ussualy i dont have any problem when I am switching between dvd to cable, but when I use my third connection (through RGB cable) from pc to tv, after that ussualy i have hdmi problem only for pace551, but dvd hdmi connection will go always correct.

my solving problem is only to decconect pace 551 from power source and then reconnect, after 5 min everything goes to normal, if i may say so
post #60 of 129 (permalink) Old 2007-01-01, 11:52 PM

I've called Videotron, and I was told that TV should support HDMI Version 1.20. I don't know what version of my LCD monitor's DVI port is. However, Videotron said they will update the software in Feburary to make HDMI support more TV. Hope it will fix this problem. I think they will update to HDMI Ver 1.3, which improves the compatibility very much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in