HDMI Issues on Videotron - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-09-27, 07:00 PM

It's not just Vidéotron to fix the trouble. It's the compagny that make TV and Vidéotron that have to fix the trouble....

On the box, you have firewire, usb, ethernet and other plug that isn't use...The box should work with tv with an HDMI, but it's not sure that everything will be working right... If the box had only HDMI, ok good... but it have also a component output...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-10-01, 05:03 PM

HDCP error

Dell 4200, SA 8000, DVI connection
I also have this "HDCP error" message sometime, and I had to unplug and re-plug the SA8000 to get rid of the error...
But I recently found that the "handshake error" is solve by simply go to the "quick setting" menu, choose a different "picture format" (different that theo one I use (I am on fixed, 1080)); and then go back to my original setting... and.... voilà, no "more DHCP error" without having to unplug everything

dyno
post #33 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-11-07, 06:32 PM

HDMI Issues on Videotron.

So I know there are a ton of issues surrounding the HDMI connection with the 8300. My PVR is connected to a Samsung LN-S3251D and it will not connect to my PVR via HDMI. I was told by Videotron Tech. Support that the specific PVR I had was not compatible with my TV to be connected via HDMI. He said that if I tried another it might work. Is this true? Since I rent the PVR I can technically call Videotron and request a new PVR since this one doesn't work and keep doing so until I receive one that works. Is it worth all this trouble to have a HDMI connection rather than a component connection?

post #34 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 12:01 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
The HDMI connection to your TV should work, although there are some known issues on some Samsungs.

See the following Digital Home FAQs (under help):

- Tips for SA STBs (make sure you have run the setup wizard properly - you may have to run it using component video first and try only enabling 1080i to start, then add other formats as they work with the HDMI connection. Lots of Sammys don't "do" 480i/480p via HDMI.

- DVI/HDMI Information

- Things to check first.

Etc.

I've moved your post into the Videotron HDMI thread. Read the previous posts in this thread.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #35 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-11-10, 09:31 AM

First of all, this thread started with craigstar saying that his HDMI connection was a lot better than the component connection in terms of picture quality. I totally support that. I wrote in another thread the exact same thing and I just got turned around saying that the HDMI and Component connections are pretty much the same thing and there shouldn't be any difference in PQ.

I also agree that the black level changes seem to have been reduced with the HDMI connection. I saw this a lot on the component connection but was impressed when I almost didn't see it with the HDMI. I still see it when there are really big changes in black levels (have the screen white and the other half black). But when the levels are not extreme, the black levels seems better.

And now, for the question. I'm with Videotron and have an HDMI connection with the Pace 551 HD box. The connection is fine with the TV and I get my sound from the Coaxial Digital Out going to my receiver. But, each time there is the "handshake" between the TV and the HDMI connection, the sound changes from "Dolby Digital" to "Other". I always hav eto change back the sound option in the settings to get the Dolby Digital sound. It also does this when I change from HD to SD channels. The HDMI connection just seems to ge the sound and the settings get changed automatically.

Is there any workaround for this or an update that Videotron can give me to correct this problem?

Panasonic TH42PX500, Pace 551 HD STB, Harmony 880 Remote, Toshiba SD-2805 DVD Changer, Kenwood HTB-505, Toshiba VCR
post #36 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-11-11, 10:54 PM

HDCP Handshake Issues

Hi,

I have the annoying HDCP problem as well. I have an LG HDTV which is HDCP compatible, the 8300HD is directly plugged in via and HDMI to DVI cable (no adaptor). I got my 8300 HD about a month ago. It worked well for about 2 weeks, I was getting the copy protection message maybe once a day, I would push exit and it would go away and would work perfectly.

Then after 2 weeks of working, it just came on full time and would not go away, It says that my TV is not HDCP compliant, to use component...

Funny how it worked for 2 weeks. I called videotron, they we tried simple stuff like reboot, re-flash the firmware etc. They said engineers would look into the issue and they will call me back, been 2 weeks, still doesn't work and no calls.... I called scientific atlanta, they said to ask my provider for the latest firmware, that might fix it (they weren't very helpfull)

I'm using component but I would much rather use the HDMI port, I paid 100 for the cable for a reason...

I've wasted lots of hours reading online, can't find a solution.

I have SARA 1.88.19.1 running. I would love to find a solution.

Thanks
Sev
post #37 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-11-12, 10:26 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by sev001 View Post
...I paid 100 for the cable for a reason...
I know the reason... . You didn't research the cables, which can be purchased for under $20 at most computer stores and even less from places like monoprice . com.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30452

Good luck with resolving your issue.

post #38 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-11-13, 07:06 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sev001 View Post
Hi, I have the annoying HDCP problem as well.
What is your powering up procedure for DVR and TV? In what sequence? And powering down... in what sequence?

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371

Last edited by 57; 2006-11-13 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Quote Shortened.
post #39 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-11-13, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
I know the reason... . You didn't research the cables, which can be purchased for under $20 at most computer stores and even less from places like monoprice . com.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30452

Good luck with resolving your issue.

Maybe, longer cables are a little more expensive though and I didn't want to waste time...
post #40 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-11-13, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfabien View Post
What is your powering up procedure for DVR and TV? In what sequence? And powering down... in what sequence?
I tried everything, I tried the standard suggestions on the net, power TV first, hard reboots, disconnect, reconnect cables... Worked fine for the first two weeks, now it doesnt work no matter what I do.

At this point, I have ran out of options....
post #41 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-11-13, 10:34 AM

How long is your cable? You may want to try another one from a place with a good return policy? You may want to try unplugging and replugging the cable a few times to see if you get a better connection (whoops, we were both typing at the same time). See the Digital Home FAQs (under help) Perhaps there's something there you haven't tried yet.

- Things to check first
- DVI/HDMI Information.
- Etc.

post #42 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-11-13, 12:26 PM

Does the HDMI output work while I use the component video out? I mean I have 2 devices to connect, one on HDMI (slingbox pro) and another (tv) on component video. Will both outputs work at the same time on an SA8300HD?

Thanks
post #43 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-11-13, 01:24 PM

Some people have had that arrangement work while others have had issues with the STB being "confused". The only way to tell is to try it for your particular application. It may depend on how you do the advanced setup wizard and which "set picture format" you use as well.

post #44 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-11-13, 01:29 PM

We had a big fright yesterday when our hookup (SA8300HD to KDS-R60XBR1) showed a copy protection block as well. After a few reboots of the STB I thought to check the HDMI connection from our DVD player as well. That showed no signal pass-through, either, and we concluded the TV was the problem. So after too much thought it finally occured to me to try to reset the TV by unplugging it and plugging it back in after waiting 30 seconds (as simply turning it off and on again changed nothing), and reconnecting the HDMI cable afterwards. This seemed to do the trick. But why it did it in the first place I do not know.
post #45 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-11-15, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
How long is your cable? You may want to try another one from a place with a good return policy? You may want to try unplugging and replugging the cable a few times to see if you get a better connection (whoops, we were both typing at the same time). See the Digital Home FAQs (under help) Perhaps there's something there you haven't tried yet.

- Things to check first
- DVI/HDMI Information.
- Etc.

My cable is 8 feet long.
I tried un-plugging replugging. I haven't tried another cable though but I would be surprised if it was the culprit since the setup worked for 2 weeks. Do you guys know where I can buy a cable and return it if necessary?

Thanks
Sev

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in