HDMI Issues on Videotron - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-08-05, 02:03 AM

I wrote a tuto for that but in french

But, in anycase, the "why" it's doing that is a little bit weird.
From what I've heard, it may be cause by the TV or the handshake didn't make it... Some TVHD doesn't really support HDCP completly. (I've heard Toshiba a lot)

From what I can say on my side..when I get a case like that, everytime, I just reset the box, turn off the tv, wait for the time to come back in front of the box, re-open the box, wait about 30 sec and re-open the tv. If it's not working, just try to close the box and your tv, open your tv and re-open the box.

Something more rare, if you still have that error, it's the close the tv and box. Remove the power cord and HDMI cable from your tv, do a reset of the box, wait 3min, replug the HDMI and replug the power cord. Open the box, wait 30 sec, open your tv and hope it will be working!

If still, that doesn't work... and btw, I'm not 100% sure, but I've heard they are working on a fix for that trouble but don't know when it will be out. But again, we should be able to downgrade the OS... But... don't call and said that out loud, it will do nothing, it's just in rare case that they can do that. From the beginning of that trouble, I've just heard 2 person that have been downgrade... soo... don't hope they'll do that right away. They will more blame it on your tv, and it's a little bit true.

Also.. while waiting for a patch, you can plug a Component cable.
Videotron doesn't provide HDMI-only connection and will not warranty you that HDMI cable will work 100%. So, even if you yell at us, we provide you a cable service and it's working, it's just an imcompatibilty trouble with the box and your tv and you can plug it with a component cable and it will work good.

So, hope a fix will be out really soon, I'm gonna say it when we will have a fix!

And with that, you shall plug component cable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-08-06, 12:22 AM

Videotron has told me that some PVRs work with certain TVs when it comes to HDMI. For example, one PVR box will work with a Samsung but not a Sony etc.
post #18 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-08-07, 02:23 PM
mod

In my case, I have to unplug the power cable, plug it back, wait for like 5 minutes and see Pace comes back. Just turning on and off Pace (or TV)
doesn't work. It happens once a week so not very often, but it's still very
annoying.

post #19 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-08-11, 10:28 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by seegs6
Videotron has told me that some PVRs work with certain TVs when it comes to HDMI. For example, one PVR box will work with a Samsung but not a Sony etc.
Although there have been some issues with some TVs and DVI, HDMI usually works with all HDTVs.

Usually a cold reboot of the STB will fix an HDMI issue.

- Turn on your TV
- Unplug your STB for a few seconds, plug it back in and wait a few minutes. Problem is almost always solved, provided you have a good HDMI connection.

See the Following Digital Home FAQs (under Help).

- DVI/HDMI information
- Things to check first.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #20 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-08-11, 10:01 PM

HDCP error

Hi,
I recently buy a Optoma H27 and a Yamaha V1600 receiver.
My local cable distributor send me a HDTV terminal. The output HDMI go to the HDMI input on the receiver than another HDMI go to the H27 with a HDMI/DVI adaptor.
The receiver an error occur and says that HDCP ERROR ''Check that the connected HDMI components support the HDCP copy protection''
The H27 is suppose to be HDCP ready???

Can you give me a hint??
Thanks in advance!!
post #21 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-08-12, 11:12 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
There have been many issues going "through" an A/V Receiver, because of firmware incompatibilities. You probably need to connnect the STB to the TV directly.

Do a search for "HDMI Receivers". This issue has been discussed quite often.

Also, adaptors have been known to cause issues. See the Digital Home FAQ "DVI/HDMI Information".

Also, the Optoma is not an HD projector, therefore it may not be HDCP compliant.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/frontp...rs/1005optoma/

The following site says it is HDCP compliant, therefore it should work if you go directly from the STB to the projector. Or you can use component video.

http://www.complete-it.ca/projector/OptomaH27.php (Click on the specifications tab)

post #22 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-09-06, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Location: Montréal: Akai PDP4273; Bell 6131, Xbox 360, Philips Soundbar
I'm going to bump this up..

I think there has been another 'upgrade' of the Pace box. Last week I came home from work and the box was reset (on channel 1).

Since last week I've had tons of trouble. Every day now I have to unplug the damn thing and plug it back in to get it to negotiate HDCP. It's going to make me crazy I'm sure.

The audio never works properly - I've got to reset it three or four times before it does that right, video seems to come in usually. Also if I'm on a HD channel and switch to a SD channel (CNN in particular) it goes to stretch mode. I've never chosen stretch mode before and dislike it.

Now, this morning at 6:30am the box was on channel 1 again.. for 20 minutes this morning box wouldn't negotiate HDCP and I was seeing a flashing white/black thing on the screen that I've never seen before. Finally after yanking out the HDMI cable and putting it back in it negotiated.

Is there anyway to monitor the firmware version of these Pace boxes? When I get home tonight if I have more issues - it's time for a less than happy call to Videotron (again).

arrrgh!
post #23 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-09-06, 12:16 PM

See the Digital Home FAQ (under help) "Tips for SA STBs (and Pace)". Post 3 should get you into the diagnostics..

post #24 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-09-06, 12:44 PM

Just a little reminder for you. I know maybe it's going to be a pain in the a$$, but, here we go!

Yep, there's been a new upgrade on the pace. It's suppose to fix the audio trouble when switching to a HD chan to a SD chan and the bug with HDCP.

But, if you have trouble, call Vidéotron. If we have everybody that call for a trouble, they gonna make something. But now, we got about just 10 people that have a trouble with their TV and the Pace.
If about 50% or more people call about a trouble with the Pace, it's gonna move more faster than just 3% of people who call.
post #25 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-09-06, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Location: Montréal: Akai PDP4273; Bell 6131, Xbox 360, Philips Soundbar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyStEm[666] View Post
Yep, there's been a new upgrade on the pace.
Thank you.. I appreciate you helping us out here with knowing more about Videotron than we do..

It's at version v.3.9.4.02222. When I got home again today I had to reboot it, and then unplug the cable twice to get rid of the "lisp" that people get with the bad audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57
See the Digital Home FAQ (under help) "Tips for SA STBs (and Pace)". Post 3 should get you into the diagnostics..
Maybe it's a Videotron flavour of firmware, but "guide" doesn't work. You have to press the "info" key.. it differs from your FAQ..
post #26 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-09-06, 10:17 PM

Hum... I work for Vidéotron, so I know a little bit more than a normal person
But, I helping you with big trouble and not the same trouble since you can call and a person will help you.
I just hate to think that we are a few to know what we are doing an HD box
You have to understand us right, we receive about 1 call each week or maybe each month about HD, so knowing a lot of thing is a little bit difficult
post #27 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-09-07, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigstar View Post
Maybe it's a Videotron flavour of firmware, but "guide" doesn't work. You have to press the "info" key.. it differs from your FAQ..
Videotron may now be using the SA firmware in the Pace STBs, hence the "Info" command, same as in post 1 of the FAQ for SA STBs.

I have modified the FAQ, thanks.

post #28 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-09-25, 02:32 PM

Problem with Pace and HDMI... again

There seems to be a lot of problems with Pace terminal hooked up via HDMI.

I've seen a couple of threads on this subject, but nobody seems to be able to provide a solution...

In my case, I just got to the point where I'm mostly depressed

First, the teminal started ignoring the remote. Now, whenever I turn on the TV, the screen is mostly green. It's got to the point where I have to unplug the power cord and reset my terminal everytime I turn on the TV. I got so annoyed with that that I now use the component outputs.

Everything is fine with components, but I would still prefer HDMI. I mean, what's the point of offering a HDMI terminal if the HDMI link is useless? It seems I would have been better off with a SA Terminal with DVI output...

is it a common problem with Pace terminal?

I've tried calling Videotron twice, but I got tired of being on hold. Is there anything they can do about that anyway?

My terminal is Pace 551HD and my TV is a Sharp Aquos LCD.
post #29 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-09-25, 09:47 PM

Just a little reminder; We offer a box with component and hdmi plug... so you can choose if you want...

If HDMI doesn't work, you still have component that is working fine...

The real trouble is a compatibility between Tv and the box, not just the box itself. Vidéotron is working with some TV brand the get the box to work.

And again... there isn't any difference of quality between component and HDMI.
post #30 of 129 (permalink) Old 2006-09-26, 09:36 PM

I understand your point, but the question still stands; why bother to sell a receiver with a HDMI port if it's useless... and if HDMI wasn't better than component it would not have been invented in the first place.

HDMI is also more practical since you only have to run one wire for both full digital audio and video.

It looks like things have been rushed a little bit. What I understand from your answer is that there's a problem with the firmware and I'll have to wait for Videotron to fix it before it works properly...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in