Firewire Recording From Videotron Works - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-05, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphyr View Post
...With the 8300HD, I can capture stream when the bitrate is below 4 Mbps. Higher than this (like for HD channel), there is a lot of corruption. All the time...
Well, interesting. Not very encouraging but, interesting... That would explain why I got less corruption on SD shows. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post
Could you try to edit the file with VideoReDo and see if it manages to fix enough of those problems to make the file playable?
I sure will try it. But I don't expect much from it. The streams are in pretty bad shape. I'll try to post my results tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-05, 03:51 AM

Quote:
With the 3250HD, I can capture the stream without any corruption
So in Sherbrooke, Videotron has set the Firewire streams to copy freely and you can play them back through VLC or such?
post #33 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-05, 12:10 PM

Quote:
So in Sherbrooke, Videotron has set the Firewire streams to copy freely and you can play them back through VLC or such?
Most channels are coded that way, whatever you are in Sherbrooke or Montreal. Only a few of them are coded "Copy Once" using the protocol 5C, and those channels can't be capture. Maybe the software of the Pace 551HD is different but with the 3250HD and, for what I know, only Score, Prise2, MuchMoreRetro, TVTA (?) and ShoppingTVA (??) are coded that way. I presume that all new channels will also be coded "copy once".

By the way, when I'm trying to capture an 5C protected channel, I can't see the resolution because it's coded inside the mpeg2 stream. So if you are able to see it with the 551HD, the problem with your capture is not related to a 5C problem. Also, if you go to the 1394 Information page on the terminal, you can see if it's coded "copy once" or "copy freely".

Kaphyr
http://illico2.tripod.com/

post #34 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-05, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Only a few of them are coded "Copy Once" using the protocol 5C, and those channels can't be capture.
Good to know!

Quote:
Maybe the software of the Pace 551HD is different
Could be related to using the same software on both, while the PACE 551HD has some particularities...

Quote:
By the way, when I'm trying to capture an 5C protected channel, I can't see the resolution because it's coded inside the mpeg2 stream. So if you are able to see it with the 551HD, the problem with your capture is not related to a 5C problem.
Well it's CapDVHS that is reporting the resolution on those captures that I can't actually playback.

Quote:
Also, if you go to the 1394 Information page on the terminal, you can see if it's coded "copy once" or "copy freely".
That's the other problem, as for the SA8x00 series, the software reports the Firewire port as disabled, which it obviously isn't since I can change channels through it. Maybe there are different levels of enabled/disabled... I guess I need to find more tools to investigate some more...
post #35 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-05, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Could you try to edit the file with VideoReDo and see if it manages to fix enough of those problems to make the file playable?
I just did some tests with VideoReDo and... well... no joy.

I must admit that VideoReDo did a pretty good job at fixing minor glitches in the stream. After using the "QuickStream Fix", no more MPEG artifacts (random colored blocks) were visible but they were replace by duplicated frames. It was OK on minor errors but very apparent where there was more corruption in the stream.

So, for now, I'll just wait and see if anybody reports a successful capture using the 8300HD. If the problem is not related to software and/or PC, I'm sure you can imagine what I think of Scientific Atlanta right now...
post #36 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-05, 11:50 PM

Quote:
That's the other problem, as for the SA8x00 series, the software reports the Firewire port as disabled, which it obviously isn't since I can change channels through it. Maybe there are different levels of enabled/disabled... I guess I need to find more tools to investigate some more...
Yes, there are always marked as "unavailable" on the 3250HD also but they do work flawlessly. There are marked as "disabled" only if the firewire is unplug or if the drivers are not well install. By the way, if you look at the "CCI Events" section in the same page, you can see if the channel is "Copy Once" or "Freely", just by looking under the "Copy" column.

Kaphyr
http://illico2.tripod.com/
post #37 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-06, 01:06 AM

Quote:
There are marked as "disabled" only if the firewire is unplug or if the drivers are not well install.
I guess I will wait for Tim Moore to make an official release and try again, since it stays "disabled" regardless.

Quote:
By the way, if you look at the "CCI Events" section in the same page, you can see if the channel is "Copy Once" or "Freely", just by looking under the "Copy" column.
Well, there are 3 outputs (would help if they were clearly labelled) marked as freely, once and freely... Assuming the components and s-video are the freely, that leaves the copy once for the Firewire output that I'm trying to use... Or would that be the unconnected HDMI port and the 1394 is just ignored?
post #38 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-06, 08:16 PM

hmm must be the machine as me with the 8300hd i can't copy any channel. I have to record and then on the record channel capture it. I didn't tried with my pace hd yet.
post #39 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-07, 11:53 AM

I got too excited when I got it working the first time!!!

I played some more with VLC and as Kaphyr mentioned the quality of the stream in HD is poor. You can load the resulting file in VideoReDo but there is too much missing data to improve the image. You just get the same thing out after removing the ads.

I agree that the whole idea of firewire was to retain the image quality and avoid the analog conversion but too much data is lost... This is not working at the present time. I guess I will have to try my 3250 and compare if the issue is on the STB side or the PC/Firewire.
post #40 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-13, 02:48 AM
Veteran

And Rogers' response to my mail about it for us in Ontario?:

Quote:
Please note that none of the network ports (including SATA [sic], ethernet,
USB, firewire, etc.) are active on any of the Rogers Digital
Terminals/PVRs.

At this time, we have no plans to activate them, due to copy-right
issues. We apologize for the inconvenience.
(sigh)

I envy you all. Enjoy!

Gary

To HD - And beyond.
post #41 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-13, 08:57 AM

Part of that information is false. We know for a fact the eSATA port is active. Hundreds of people are using it with external drives. Plus the USB port is active. It is limited in what it can do but it is indeed active.
post #42 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-13, 10:27 AM

Jake...

You said that USB port is active... what can be done with it? Only a keyboard? Because I placed a cable between the 8300hd and my Laptop...
and nothing was detected...

Samsung HL-R4664W / DVD-HD850 / Dreamlink HD / Zotac HTPC / Fibe VIP1232
post #43 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-13, 11:06 AM

Just a channel change. I would think that other functions like GUIDE, LIST, etc would be possible but I don't for sure. I actually read about the channel change here. I just can't find the thread right now.
post #44 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-13, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialog_gvf View Post
I envy you all. Enjoy!
Well, Gary, if you've read the posts before yours, you already know there is nothing to envy about the whole story. Sure the firewire port is active but, for now, nobody seems to have found a way to perform a decent HD capture (Unless you don't mind a very corrupted and noisy mpeg stream).

So the port is available but nothing good seems to come out of it. To me, it's more frustrating than having a disabled port.
post #45 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-15, 05:47 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelC View Post
Well, Gary, if you've read the posts before yours, you already know there is nothing to envy about the whole story. Sure the firewire port is active but, for now, nobody seems to have found a way to perform a decent HD capture (Unless you don't mind a very corrupted and noisy mpeg stream).

So the port is available but nothing good seems to come out of it. To me, it's more frustrating than having a disabled port.
Kaphyr seems to be having no trouble with the 3250HD. Did I read that wrong?

Gary

To HD - And beyond.

Tags
transfer , video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in