Firewire Recording From Videotron Works - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-09-27, 09:32 AM

I found the instructions somewhere on the web. I will see if I can dig them up again. I haven't played with it again since the 13th and my memory is blank.

Instructions.

Last edited by Jake; 2006-09-27 at 09:43 AM. Reason: link added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-09-27, 12:09 PM

Nice, though I had no idea the 8300hd has firewire connectors... I only thought the 80x0HD had them ...

Good stuff!
post #18 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-09-27, 01:33 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisph View Post
Nice, though I had no idea the 8300hd has firewire connectors... I only thought the 80x0HD had them ...

Good stuff!
Yes, the SA 8300HD PVR does have firewire, but depending on your provider it may not be implemented to send a signal because of the version of the firmware that the provider has installed.

Assuming that you are with Videotron (as this is the Videotron thread) Videotron has SARA firmware 1.88 and has firewire implemented (apparently, according to this thread).

Rogers has SARA firmware 1.87 and does not have it implemented.

post #19 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-09-27, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I found the instructions somewhere on the web. I will see if I can dig them up again. I haven't played with it again since the 13th and my memory is blank.

Instructions.
Thank you Jake! I followed the same instructions last night but didn't patch the XP driver. Maybe this is why it didn't work.

I'll try again tonight and see what happens. I'll report back to post my findings and tips.

Michel
post #20 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-09-28, 11:25 AM

hmm... my 8010hd don't have the holes as shown on dslreports ... will have to check if it has the hw inside for firewire...

if not, guess some people are sol....
post #21 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-09-28, 06:34 PM

Thumbs up Hurray!

Success! I too can confirm that the firewire ports are enabled on the SA8300HD with the new SARA firmware on Vidéotron.

I did a few tests last night and everything works great using "VLC Media Player" (I had no luck with "CapDVHS". It just crashed after a few seconds of capture).

In case anyone wonders, I followed part of the instructions mentioned in Jake's post. I first installed the "FireSTB" drivers, then the "XP patch" for firewire (Not sure if necessary) and "VLC Media Player". After rebooting XP, I plugged in the PVR and used the VLC Wizard (under the File menu) to make my first capture.

Like others mentioned, I was not able to capture a live feed, only programs already saved on the disk. But I was able to capture the live feed and watch it on the laptop's monitor. So I guess there must be a way to capture it to disk. I just didn't play long enough with VLC.

Thanks to all who contributed information on this topic.

Michel
post #22 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-09-30, 01:02 AM

Same here, got a 8300HD, can record regular and HD shows. Play them, transfert them to hdd. Convert from mpeg ts to dvd and then burn it. I just hope they come with new software for recording. I'm doing tests with two right now and their not very stable.
post #23 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-09-30, 03:00 PM

The more i'm playing with it the more i think i'll get a dvd recorder (now less than 150$) and do the recording directly thru dvd instead of passing in computer and then converting to dvd. The 998 pvr channel is not encrypted so you can record it at your ease, the difference is that the computer can record HD compare to dvd quality that the dvd recorder will do. If any of you is beginning into this then check if you want dvd or hd quality as computer recording is not difficult but it does takes some time to do the recording and conversion.
post #24 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-02, 02:52 PM

It is working great with VLC 0.8.5. You can record both HD and SD programs that you playback on the STB. I have experimented a bit with the Live signal and you can get some frames for at most a second or two and then it breaks up and freeze when you stream direct to screen. It will not create a file if you stream the live signal to file. It will require much more investigation to understand the issues involved (e.g. "5C" code) with Live.

CapDVHS fails everytime.

The quality with VLC is much better than going via a tuner card and a HTPC application like BeyondTV so it is much more useful for video editing and saving. The problem with VLC is that there is no timer to tell it when to stop recording so you need to setup some DOS batch files to set that up. I saw some comment in the SageTV forums (sorry no link) on how to automate with the guide data. I will try to setup something simpler so I can tell it to stream to file (i.e. record) for 90 or 120 minutes.
post #25 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-03, 06:46 AM
Veteran

For Videotron clients, the SA8300HD has software 1.88.19.1 and page 17 of 35 shows:

firebus = 1.9.12.1
fbdtcp = 1.3.4.1

which enables Firewire including the DTCP protocol.

As for copying recordings to a computer...

a Computer HDD has a set limit. Fail to see the interest of packing recordings to your computer when the SA8300HD can accept an external drive.

If the idea is store programs or movies permanently, my guess is that D-VHS and ultimately HD DVD or BD recording would be best. Unless it is possible to edit (such as removing commercials) before transferring to a permanent media.

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371
post #26 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-03, 05:48 PM

I can also confirm that the Firewire port is active on the PACE 551HD receivers... Using some modified drivers from Tim Moore, I was able to install the PACE Tuner and PACE Panel, then I was able to change channels through Firewire... Of course the copy protection seems to be enabled on all channels so there isn't anything to actually record. CapDVHS did report the right resolutions on the channels, so something would definatly be recording without the 5C flags...

Which brings up the question, are there any reasons (besides lazyness/ignorance) preventing the canadian providers from enabling the "copy freely" flag on at least some of the channels (SRC/CTV and more), similar to the OTA channels in the US? I know that some of the canadian cable providers using Motorolla receivers (Cogeco and such) don't have 5C enabled on all channels and they haven't been sued or anything...
post #27 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-03, 05:55 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
You may wish to contact Videotron to see if they can change the 5C flags to zero instead of 1. It may simply have been an oversight, or a default position. At least have it changed for the non-premium channels, which should not be set to 1, as you say.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #28 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-04, 08:42 PM

Unhappy Lots of dropped frames

I've had a bit more time to do some tests using VLC Media Player and the result is not as good as I expected.

After capturing an HD show to a .TS file, I noticed a lot of artifacts when playing it back with VLC. I thought it was a glitch with the VLC playback and used PVAStrumento to analyse and demux the file. To my surprise, PVAStrumento reported a lot of anomalies in the stream (Dropped frames, temporal errors, etc.) and dropped several GOPs (Group of pictures). No need to say that the resulting mpeg2 file didn't play well at all.

I did numerous tests with different shows, different resolutions (480p, 720p and 1080i) and different equipment. All captured .TS had the same problem. Anybody experienced this? Any suggestions? I wasn't able to find another capture software to do more tests and CapDVHS just won't work.

Michel
post #29 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-05, 12:52 AM

I'm always surprise when somebody say that firewire HD recording is working with the 8300HD. I have been trying this for months and it never worked 100%. With the 3250HD, I can capture the stream without any corruption, so I'm sure the computer speed, drivers, firewire port are OK. With the 8300HD, I can capture stream when the bitrate is below 4 Mbps. Higher than this (like for HD channel), there is a lot of corruption. All the time...

When CapDVHS is crashing, it's because there is too much corruption. With my 3250HD, it never crashed, even with the 17 - 17.5 Mbps stream (like for SRCHD). On the 8300HD, using the direct capture with vlc player, we can easily see that there is some corruption. I analysed the stream and there was just too much data packet missing from the stream. I presumed that the 8300HD was just not fast enough to send the stream correctly.

So, if somebody is able to capture a HD stream on the 8300HD, without any kind of corruption (not just viewable), can you confirm it and tell us what kind of computer/TV/Firewire port you are using ?

Thanks.

Kaphyr
http://illico2.tripod.com/
post #30 of 97 (permalink) Old 2006-10-05, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelC View Post
To my surprise, PVAStrumento reported a lot of anomalies in the stream (Dropped frames, temporal errors, etc.) and dropped several GOPs (Group of pictures). No need to say that the resulting mpeg2 file didn't play well at all.
Could you try to edit the file with VideoReDo and see if it manages to fix enough of those problems to make the file playable?

Tags
transfer , video

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in