Is there a FireWire port on Videotron HD-PVRs? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 2005-12-26, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Is there a FireWire port on Videotron HD-PVRs?

If so, which models?

I can't find a single pic or shred of info indicating whether there's a FireWire port on any of Videotron's HD-PVRs. The plan is to use a D-VHS deck to archive some HD content, but I would absolutely need a FireWire port for this.

Can anybody chime in with an easy answer for me, please?

A bonus would be people sharing their experience in using D-VHS along with those STBs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 2005-12-26, 01:00 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
There are firewire ports on the HDDVRs (SA8000HD - I believe and SA8300HD- I'm sure), however, none of the SA DVRs anywhere have firewire ports active.

See the Digital Home FAQ "Recording HD". You're out of luck archiving from an SA HDDVR at this time (in HD).

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 2005-12-26, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

So the firewire port is onboard, but it's disabled on purpose? Is there some sort of mod that can be done to change that?

A lot of Americans are able to do this and I fail to see why we (again) should end up being shortchanged like this.

I checked out the FAQ before asking, as it doesn't mention anything about what I wish to do as being impossible. In fact, it does mention the Motorola and Mitsubishi boxes being able to work. BUT,... I don't know who makes the Videotron PVRs. And if the Videotron PVRs fail to work, I could always just get an HD Illico unit and buy myself a seperate PVR with an active FireWire port, plus a D-VHS deck and that should work.

At least, I hope.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 2005-12-26, 04:09 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
1. As I stated, no SA DVRs have active firewire ports, even in the US. Read carefully. There is no "mod".

2. In the US each cable service provider must supply a STB (not DVR) that has an active firewire port. Those service providers that use SA usually supply an SA3250HD or SA4200HD (US model) or equivalent for this purpose. In Canada, no such law exists and the SA STBs don't have active firewire. You cannot put a Motorola STB on an SA "head end".

3. The Videotron DVRs are made by SA (Scientific Atlanta).

What you are trying to do will NOT work with Videotron/SA currently.

There is no "separate" HD PVR that you can buy for use on a Videotron service.

All of the above also applies to Rogers Ontario (SA)

If you re-read the Digital Home FAQ on "Recording HD" carefully, most of this is covered there.

These questions come up a lot. You're "hope" will not become "reality" until Canadian service providers activate the SA STBs firewire ports, which currently has no timeline.

You could consider getting an external HDD to add drive space to the SA8300HD, discussed in the Videotron forum, however, that is simply a HDD attached to the SA8300HD and cannot be truly considered an "archive".

Last edited by 57; 2005-12-26 at 04:16 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 2005-12-26, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

So absolutely no way whatsoever of archiving HD-recorded programming? That seriously puts things in perspective and makes me questions the fun of owning a D-VHS deck.

Now, you mentioned expanding the HD PVR's capacity by slapping an extra HD via its external SATA port, but my question is this ; can I add just any HD? I would love to add an extra 400 gigs, for instance.

Since, according to the FAQ, the files are encrypted, I guess my dream of copying the files onto my PC or transfering my PC HD movies (TS extension) onto the expanded HD is also an impossibility?

I apologize for all these questions, but I couldn't find the answer by searching the threads in both the Videotron and Rogers forums. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my questions.

Last edited by Strat; 2005-12-26 at 06:00 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 2005-12-26, 07:04 PM

1. No way to archive from an SA DVR. Correct.

2. D-VHS useless on SA service providers. Correct.

3. No, not "any" HDD, see the following links, one regarding the external SATA you can buy from Videotron (not a bad price) and one regarding an external "do it yourself" that is in the Rogers SA Forum. (Both easily found by using the site's search engine using the keyword "SATA"). These are not for archiving, simply for additional space, which means you can "save" your programmes longer, or keep a few on there...

http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=23773

http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=33709 (Post 4 for link)

People with Motorola DVRs can copy the .ts files, however, they are currently also having difficulty in some areas because Shaw has "messed up" the 5C settings. No way to copy from SA DVRs (in HD).

Questions are good, no problem.

Please put your location in your profile, it often helps us help you.

Last edited by 57; 2005-12-26 at 07:14 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 2005-12-29, 10:06 AM

Not sure if this can help but here is the info anyhow:

How to record via 1394/Firewire to WindowsXP:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=403695

8300HD and External SATA - It Works!!:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=516559
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 2006-01-12, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin
Not sure if this can help but here is the info anyhow:

How to record via 1394/Firewire to WindowsXP:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=403695

8300HD and External SATA - It Works!!:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=516559
The info about external drive could be helpfull but the part about recording from 1394 to Windows XP will not work with Canadian providers because their equipment don't have the 1394 connection enabled.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 2006-01-13, 06:50 AM

True, however this does mean that we could use it if Videotron were to enable it. That is better than not at all...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 2006-05-02, 03:01 PM

Complain to Industry Canada

Hello,

I just filed a complaint with the Competition Bureau of Industry Canada with regard to Rogers Cable refusal to activate the firewire ports on the Set Top Boxes and DVRs in Ontario.

As you may know customers of Shaw, Cogego and Rogers Atlantic all have Motorola hardware and active Firewire ports whereas we in Rogers Ontario and Videotron in Quebec who have SA hardware must rent or buy a DVR from our provider if we want to archive HD content.

If a Videotron Customer in Quebec were to also file a complaint with the competetion Bureau we might see some progress in getting HD content that we can archive.

The contact at Videotron should be:

Édouard G. Trépanier
Vice-President
Regulatory Affairs
Quebecor Media Inc.
612 St-Jacques St.
Montréal, Québec
H3C 4M8
Direct line : (514) 380-7313
Fax : (514) 380-4664
E-mail: [email protected]
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 2006-05-02, 11:20 PM

I use your contact info for videotron and fill a complaint against videotron. Hope this will get the ball rolling.

Jean Claude
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 2006-05-03, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Claude
I use your contact info for videotron and fill a complaint against videotron. Hope this will get the ball rolling.
Merci!,

Perhaps if we consumers start making enough noise then the cable operators may actually enable the ports and we can finaly start enjoying HD as we see fit.

I don't really care if the implementation on the Scientific Atlanta hardware is buggy. The 3250 (non DVR) does appear to work somewhat consistently in the US and I would be more than happy with a Firewire that worked some of the time than none of the time.

Salut,

Bruce
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 2006-05-03, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinette
The info about external drive could be helpfull but the part about recording from 1394 to Windows XP will not work with Canadian providers because their equipment don't have the 1394 connection enabled.
Correction - Customers of Rogers in Atlantic Canada, Eastlink, Shaw & Cogeco all appear to have working Firewire and can record HD from their Set Top Boxes (STBs). These operators use Motorola Hardware. Customers of Videotron in Quebec & Rogers in Ontario are SOL however. These operators use Scientific Atlanta hardware (Rogers is starting to use some STBs from Pace). The firewire implementation on the SA DVRs in the US is known to be buggy especially the ones running Passport software (I know Rogers uses the SARA Software and beleive Videotron does as well) but the SA STBs (i.e. the later model 3250s with the Firewire ports) do appear to work.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in