HD Discovery was short-lived on Videotron :-( - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-26, 04:01 PM

Like I said in my post, it all comes down to the mighty $$$.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-26, 06:18 PM
Veteran

Michel,

I know that St-Hilaire is without power due to the ice storm in your area.

Not a very nice way to spend the day after Christmas. Many need to go to a shelter because of lack of heat. Was it your case?

Thinking about you and hope all is well.

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371
post #78 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-27, 05:27 AM
Veteran

Still no power for Michel... read story in the following:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...orm051226.html

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371

post #79 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-27, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touti
My guess is that it's gonna come back sooner or later, on way or another and WE are just gonna pay 2.25$ or 2.50$ a month for it.
I fully agree with your assessment. And I'm one of those suckers who'll end up paying.

I don't care who's to blame...the CRTC, the politicians, or BCE but there's something wrong with a system that allows a carrier to own a channel and dictate how much its competitors pay for it. It wouldn't bother me if this was a free, open market but it is not and obviously favours one over the others.

If this tactic continues I can see a future where there is only one national satellite carrier and one cable carrier across the nation. How could a regional cable provider compete against a carrier with a subscriber base from B.C. to the Maritimes?
post #80 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-27, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynot
MFABIEN, any complaint will help............etc.....
Totally express my point of view 100% but said in a far better way that I could have....By the way, not only did I file a complaint to the CRTC which role is, as you say so rightfully, to stand up for the canadian consumers, protect their interest, and certainly is NOT provide licences to use as a weapon of competition....but I also wrote to Discovery themselves to which I got no reply so far and frankly, I do not expect one. If they do, they will probably as you say , again so rightfully, throw back the ball at videotron....Personally, after investing so much money in my HD system, I will neglect no avenues whatsoever to get offered what I should be able to get as a consumer and I see the CRTC as the guardian fo that. Not long ago, Radio Canada had two programs regarding HD televison: "5 sur 5" and a program called "Découverte" which is the french word for discovery oddly enough....Also, La Presse, a major french newspaper in Montreal had a whole section discussing HD television. I may even write to all those journalist to make them aware of that situation. I am so pissed off with it that I will stir as much sh*t as I can on this issue.... It is not a question of blaming the CRTC for that situation at all, it is a question of letting them know what is happening and our displeasure with it... If we let this thing go, what is to say it won't be the same every time a new HD station comes out, such as National Geographic soon.....Let us not forget that cable companies have exclusive territories and as long as it will be like that, yes, a government agency should regulate their action to a degree.....in order to protect our rights.....If no one tells them and we rely on the suppliers of service to solve that, not only we will be getting the run around (all the BS answers) that we are presently getting, but I have little hope it can be solved. I also wrote to videotron to complain and interestingly enough, the answers given to complainers do vary. From the excuse that the signal were cut from them, to they decide to cut it themselves because it wasn't in their customer's interest and so many other "excuses"....Let's face it, we do not know the real reason that happened and we can't count on neither companies to tell us....This is why I wrote to the CRTC, not to blame them but to check in to that situation and maybe let them know that their licence may be used not for the purpose it was granted but rather as a edge for competition for a company versus another....and that is wrong....plain and simple...as CaptQuebec said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captqbec
hi mfabien,

...as canadian taxpayers of supposedly equal priviliges, why should Videotron subscribers not enjoy the same viewing opportunities as Bell ExpressVue.

The CRTC licenses are NOT granted for gaining a marketing edge over one's competition.

We should at least have the option to pay for it if available.

And how about the degradation of HD and sound quality since the Buffalo switch...if the feed is crap and you receive crap at 16mb/s it still remains crap...

Thus, the CRTC should be implicated, as nonchalant as they might be.
Couldn't have said it better.... Reflects my point of view entirely

Quote:
I know someone who was present at the meeting when this decision was made. The reason is very simple, it is in fact because DiscHD now wants 2.00$/month per subscriber. This is more than 4 times the average price for HD stations which, I believe, is around 47 cents.

At 5.99$/month, DiscHD's demand would take off 40% of Videotron's retail price which would probably make the whole HD broadcasting no longer profitable.
Then, it is a question to check if the price asked to Videotron by them is the same as the one asked to other providers such as Rogers since Rogers offers that station as we speak. If not, it is not fair play and it doesn't serve canadian consumer's interest (which is one of the roles as I see it for the CRTC)....If not, it also means that they specifically asked for conditions to Videotron so unreasonable that the purpose is obviously not "kosher". Is it related to the war in basic phone lines and/or the court case between Bell and Videotron regarding the ease of pirating satellite TV ??? Your post certainly raises a few questions in my mind... I have to presume that Videotron knew about the price asked prior to putting Discovery on air....as any business man would do that before "retailing" any product and setting a price for it. You have to know your cost before you start selling, not after.....I have difficulties understanding why this doesn't seem to be the case here...Did Discovery change their price after an agreement, in the last minute or Videotron miscalculated their true cost before offering it in a package ??? Either way, it seems quite stupid to me. Why is it that Rogers finds it profitable and Videotron not profitable if the "per subscriber price" is the same (presuming it is) ??? Many points are not clear to me.....

Anyway, I couldn't care less if they charhe $3.00 extra ( a nice 33% profit) to make it available to me because frankly the rest of the HD package is crap to me anyway and I don't need it. The way I see it, I'd save myself $2.95 a month should they decide to go that route....since they charge $5.95 a month for their package I don't want anyway...

My two cents worth :-)

P.S. : I am glad to see that "mfabien" apologized to "pronut" but I have yet to see an apology from him for making fun of my posting sarcastically and with a great deal of patronizing to an opinion that I was entitled to have, that ought to be respected very much the same way I respect everyone's opinion . Furthermore my opinion seems to be shared by many as I see it....so If my opinion deserved such an sarcastic answer, the ones that shared it deserved it....

Sony 46 Bravia XBR2 , Yamaha HTR5860, Bose Acoustimass16, 8300 HD PVR, Quickview QVX 300 Gig, LRA537 dvd recorder,Oppo DV981 DVD player, Harmony 880
post #81 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-27, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfabien
Still no power for Michel... read story in the following:

Thank you for your concern....Maybe I'll take that as an apology from you LOLOLOL....

Well, to make the story short, we lost power 3 times yesterday morning at around 7.30 a.m., 2 for a short while and the third one lasted till 23.30hr last night. I saw the news at midnight that said that St-Hilaire's power wasn't back yet and gee, I thought I was one of the lucky few that got the power back. As it turns out, all of St-Hilaire was restaured at 11.30 p.m. and gee, how disapointing, I though I was getting a personal favor from Hydro.....I felt like a King for a minute or two LOLOL....No, I did not have to go to a shelter but let me tell you that the nightmare of 1998 came back to mind....30 days without power then....So, since I had no power, I decided to go do the race of boxing day at the St-Bruno mall, eat sushi for lunch and souvlaki for dinner....No, I won't go into details saying which sushi or what sauce with my souvlaki, I'll spare everyone of that LOLOL. Oh yes, I did get a deal on Stoke's magnetic milk frother and I was thrilled to be able to get savings of $3.... Who knows, that could pay me the first month of HD discovery should videotron revise their decision :-)

For once, I could blame Hydro rather than Videotron for npot being able to watch some nice HDTV yesterday....but make no mistake, I'm back on videotron,s case today

Sony 46 Bravia XBR2 , Yamaha HTR5860, Bose Acoustimass16, 8300 HD PVR, Quickview QVX 300 Gig, LRA537 dvd recorder,Oppo DV981 DVD player, Harmony 880
post #82 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-27, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfabien
Michel,

I know that St-Hilaire is without power due to the ice storm in your area.

Not a very nice way to spend the day after Christmas. Many need to go to a shelter because of lack of heat. Was it your case?

Thinking about you and hope all is well.
Yeap, do you remember Hydro saying after the 1998 crisis : " we have solidified our network to prevent this from happening again "....... and yesterday, I was listening to Hydro's public relation girl on the news saying; " well, no network can resiste such extraordinary weather conditions"....Gee, that sounded familiar...I almost thought I was talking to a videotron customer service person LOLOL

post #83 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-27, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel
You have to know your cost before you start selling, not after.....I have difficulties understanding why this doesn't seem to be the case here...Did Discovery change their price after an agreement, in the last minute or Videotron miscalculated their true cost before offering it in a package ??? Either way, it seems quite stupid to me. Why is it that Rogers finds it profitable and Videotron not profitable if the "per subscriber price" is the same (presuming it is) ??? Many points are not clear to me.....
My friend and I discussed it briefly but my understanding is that Discovery notified all their distributors that as of january 2006 (or something like that),they will become a 100% real HDTV station. That's the reason why they are changing their prices. Apparently videotron felt that they should stop broadcasting now instead of waiting for people to get the new PQ and then loose it.

Nothing says that Rogers won't make the same decision or change their prices when this new royalty to DiscHD takes effect.
post #84 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-27, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
My friend and I discussed it briefly but my understanding is that Discovery notified all their distributors that as of january 2006 (or something like that),they will become a 100% real HDTV station. That's the reason why they are changing their prices. Apparently videotron felt that they should stop broadcasting now instead of waiting for people to get the new PQ and then loose it.

Nothing says that Rogers won't make the same decision or change their prices when this new royalty to DiscHD takes effect.
Wrong info. Discovery started 100% HD already and videotron actually had it on air for 3 days before cutting it out... Rogers has it 100% HD 16-9 already at the same date that videotron had it , only they kept it....In fact, in the case of videotron, they had both versions available, 100% HD on position 664 and regular SD discovery on position 64, silmultaneously....So that arguement doesn't hold....

post #85 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-28, 07:56 AM

What can we do to get Videotron attention in getting us more HDTV channels and content. I've been on HDTV for over a year now and not much new happened since....
post #86 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-28, 11:10 AM

discovery HD saga.

I know I am late in this thread, but I too fell to that discover story.
People across the river from us (Ottawa) still have discovery HD with Rogers.
A guy I know said he called them about the discovery HD issue in Quebec.
They told them there were no changes to the programming.....(I'm sure they wouldn't tell him). Still they say there keeping it the way it is.

I would still have liked to see Discover HD once. I got the Pace 551 Monday morning (Dec. 26). I called videotron at 9:30am to activate the box and add the HD extra to my previous plan. The billing rep. confirmed that morning that I was getting discovery HD. Well got home and ...NO discovery HD. Called again and the next rep. said it was removed Dec. 21. (pretty lame support form the 1st guy). I made a point on my 1st to say I was getting the extra HD for discovery HD.....It almost feels like he knew I wouldn't get it if he told me It was removed...maybe I'm paranoid

Anyway I did write videotron and discovery and crtc about this feud....doing my share.
post #87 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-28, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel
Wrong info. Discovery started 100% HD already and videotron actually had it on air for 3 days before cutting it out... Rogers has it 100% HD 16-9 already at the same date that videotron had it , only they kept it....In fact, in the case of videotron, they had both versions available, 100% HD on position 664 and regular SD discovery on position 64, silmultaneously....So that arguement doesn't hold....

Thank's for the correction Michel. I didn't watch it much lately and I didn't know it had been on air for 3 days.

Edit: I just check what's in the HD-Extra package on their web site and DiscoveryHD is still listed. As far as I know that constitute false advertising.

I'm gonna call Videotron and tell them it's illegal to advertise something they don't sell. I will also tell them I'm cancelling my HD-Extra until they either lower the price or bring back DiscHD.

I invite you all to do the same. If our complaints don't touch them maybe dollars will.

2nd Edit: Done, I just cancelled it giving DiscHD as the reason. I was told by the rep that it wasn't Videotron's decision. They told me Discovery made a request to the CRTC to force videotron to remove it. I said I didn't believe it because I don't see why they'd do it only with videotron and she said they are gonna do it with others.

In short, she fed me with a load of bullsh...

Last edited by Touti; 2005-12-28 at 03:31 PM.
post #88 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-28, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Edit: I just check what's in the HD-Extra package on their web site and DiscoveryHD is still listed. As far as I know that constitute false advertising.
I'm not seeing it here:
http://www.videotron.com/services/en/television/5_5.jsp

But it is here (channel grid):
http://www.videotron.com/services/ge...=NUM&ordre=num

And yeah, I'm a bit PO'd about it too. I purchased an SA8300HD on the 20th. Enjoyed DiscoveryHD that evening. Found the "notice" the next day. Found this forum that afternoon while looking for info on what was going on.

...jim
post #89 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-28, 03:47 PM

You will also find it in their "Do it yourself Package" here

http://www.videotron.com/services/en...calculette.jsp

Just go to the screen were HD-Extra is and check the list channels, it's still there.
post #90 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-28, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Thank's for the correction Michel................
They told me Discovery made a request to the CRTC to force videotron to remove it. I said I didn't believe it because I don't see why they'd do it only with videotron and she said they are gonna do it with others.
In short, she fed me with a load of bullsh...

You bet she did....It,s a different story depending on who you talk to. Now, if they do the same with others, will they go OTA ???? If not, they'll broadcast for no one... Gee, videotron has to put their act together on this one....Maybe if they tried saying the truth, nothing but the truth and the whole truth in the matter, it would work :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in