HD Discovery was short-lived on Videotron :-( - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 11:07 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronut
(The entire Canadian population barely matches the population of the state of New York).
Never let the facts stand in the way:

Population of NY state 19.0M (according to http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/New_York_State)
Population of Canada 32.4MM (according to http://www.statcan.ca/english/edu/clock/population.htm)
(Both numbers above rounded to 1 decimal place)

Therefore barely = 13.4 M. It would be more accurate to say that Canada has twice the population of NY state as you would then be off by only 5.6M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 11:28 AM
Veteran

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/LEGAL/BDU.HTM

Alteration or Deletion of Programming Service

7. A licensee shall not alter or delete a programming service in a licensed area in the course of its distribution except

(a) as required or authorized under a condition of its licence or these Regulations;

(b) for the purpose of complying with subsection 328(1) of the Canada Elections Act;

(c) for the purpose of deleting a programming service to comply with an order of a court prohibiting the distribution of the service to any part of the licensed area;

(d) for the purpose of altering a programming service to insert an emergency alert message in accordance with an agreement entered into with the operator of the service or the network responsible for the service;

(e) for the purpose of preventing the breach of programming or underlying rights of a third party, in accordance with an agreement entered into with the operator of the service or the network responsible for the service; or

(f) for the purpose of deleting a subsidiary signal, unless the signal is, itself, a programming service or is related to the service being distributed.
____________________________________________________________ __

The DiscoveryHD vs Videotron event of deletion comes, I would suggest, under item (e).

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371
post #48 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 11:36 AM

High Definition camarades,

Post your complaints to the CRTC:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/welcome.htm

let's kick these arrogant, shameless and monopolistic #%@&* in the butt!

post #49 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfabien
Whatever the reason, let the CRTC fix the problem, under present legal conditions or through new regulations... Period

Sony 46 Bravia XBR2 , Yamaha HTR5860, Bose Acoustimass16, 8300 HD PVR, Quickview QVX 300 Gig, LRA537 dvd recorder,Oppo DV981 DVD player, Harmony 880
post #50 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 12:07 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel
Whatever the reason, let the CRTC fix the problem, under present legal conditions or through new regulations... Period
..or new legislation. Why don't you contact all candidates in your riding and see if one of them will make you this promise in return for your vote.

The Bill could be called:

Act to make it an obligation for all cable and satellite providers to carry DiscoveryHD in their service.

Under this Act, the CRTC is instructed to oblige licensees, distributing broadcasting under cable or satellite services, to include, as an option, DiscoveryHD, presently classified under discretionary service, therefore changing DiscoveryHD to a "mandatory programming" offering. It is furthermore provided that the CRTC shall approve the monthly amount to be paid by users of the service to ascertain that such amount be deemed reasonable. All agreements between distributors and DiscoveryHD will be subject to CRTC approval.

Would that do it, Michel?

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371
post #51 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 02:34 PM

Whose fault?

I called Videotron today to cancel my HD extra. Discovery HD was the main reason I kept it, since I don't watch the other HD channels much (I'm not a football fan and there isn't much on the others). The service rep said: "the Discovery channel stopped providing it to Videotron". He had no other information about the change.

I thought cable channels received revenue based on the number of subscribers. Even if the number was small in Quebec, why would they give up the market here? Do they also get payment from the cable supplier to carry a channel, or is this information confidential?

Panasonic TC-P50V10, SA8000HD, OPPO BDP-83, Yahama RX-V863
post #52 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 05:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
..or new legislation. Why don't you contact all candidates in your riding and see if one of them will make you this promise in return for your vote.
Why not go farther and have the candidate promise to deregulate the broadcast/cable industry so that governmental approval was not required for channels and/or satellite/cable companies.
post #53 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Act to make it an obligation for all cable and satellite providers to carry DiscoveryHD in their service
You obviously totally misunderstood what I said. It is not only about Discovery....but all future HD producers.....No MPs, nor the CRTC will make special legislation for "Discovery" and I did not suggest that either....I did not say either that the CRTC should regulate the amount charged to the end user of the service as you say. I said that the CRTC should regulate that the price charged by Discovery or any other companies alike is the same to all the providers, namely the price of their service to Bell, Videotron, Rogers, Cogeco, Shaw etc....What Videotron (for instance) wants to charge the end user is their business as I clearly said. Don't twist my words...And yes, I think that once a licence for a public station is granted, it should include an obligation that it is made available to all canadians through all service providers. and I never said it should be mandatory for canadians to get it free or at a price set by the CRTC....You twisted my opinion.....I find your post not only condecending but arrogant....You can disagree without being disagreable....

Sony 46 Bravia XBR2 , Yamaha HTR5860, Bose Acoustimass16, 8300 HD PVR, Quickview QVX 300 Gig, LRA537 dvd recorder,Oppo DV981 DVD player, Harmony 880
post #54 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fussy viewer
The service rep said: "the Discovery channel stopped providing it to Videotron". He had no other information about the change.
They seem to have a different answer depending on who you talk to. No one says the real reason and no one knows (except maybe Mfabien)....

post #55 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Furthermore, what would do it for me is less unecessary sarcasm, condescence, patronizing and arrogance....Respect of other's opinion would definitely do it for me....Enough said... One footer note, I'd certainly be for an totally open free market as suggested by Wayne....

post #56 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-25, 08:53 AM
Veteran

Michel,

I hope you have a very good Christmas day.

Today, let us think about the good life that we have
and the reasons we should be more happy than sad.

post #57 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-25, 10:47 AM

I think we would be more effective if we directed all our energy towards solving this problem as opposed to arguing amoungst ourselves.

As captqbec suggested go to the CRTC website and post your complaint:
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/RapidsCCM/Register.asp?lang=E

Here's my contribution:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a subsciber with Videotron cable TV service including the High Definition service for an additional monthly fee.

Recently, Videotron removed the Discovery HD channel from all subscribers. My complaint is based on the following two points:

1) My contract with Videotron was modified without prior notification or reimbursement in the form of alternate channel replacement or financial compensation.
2) Due to lack of an alternate cable provider in my area I believe that publicly licenced channels should be at least made available to all Canadians. Due to contract obligations, subscribers are not at liberty to switch service providers or add other services without incurring great personal cost just to acquire said channels.

Your attention to this matter is respectfully requested.

Thank you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe not that articulate but it'll get the point accross. And even if there is no legal leg to stand on at least it'll raise awareness for future CRTC decisions as more applications for HD channel are made.
post #58 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-25, 11:22 AM

Ok.. then the entire population of Canada barely equals the population of the state of California..

http://www.50states.com/californ.htm 33,871,648
post #59 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-25, 08:02 PM

Happy Holidays guys,

....we're all in this together....all we really want is some kind of satisfaction from videotron...together we're a force...arguments will only serve the opposition.

Complain to the CRTC:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/RapidsCCM/Register.asp?lang=E

I've done it.

Do it
post #60 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-25, 09:04 PM

Any videotron members having trouble accessing google for the past two days?? Incredibly when I called the techs, they told me they were aware of the issue!

Its affecting many pages that use google for their adservers.
Jeez.
Sorry to break the thread topic, but I am new here, and don't have sufficient permission to start up a thread apparently.

If you are experiencing this pls blurb it here, or im me. Thx

Seph

now back to our regularly scheduled feature:
re population density .. whats so great about being over-populated?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in