HD Discovery was short-lived on Videotron :-( - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-22, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge
Well all said and done, I understand videotrons dilema, but. This is a big BUT. They signed a contract with us. Period, no questions. We are paying for that service. If it is no longer viable to provide that service they should reimburse us each (the ones that are paying for that channel), all the money that they are saving by not paying it to Discovery.

We are still paying for it after all.

All the best and a merryxmas. I will be writing the crtc!
Actually, you are not losing Discovery at all. It is still there but you cannot get the HD discovery...

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rse
I know that in the process of broadcasting a channel the is also some company who ask to have a certain amount of the bandwith, i think it's possible that discovery has not incresed the price but the demand of bandwith to Videotron

If Videotron can't provide it they can have to remove some other channels so maybe it is better for the customers to lose 1 channel then 2 or 3 other
That could be actually...but they won't say what is the reason....At any rate, for best resolution on a HD channel, you cannot put more than two HD chanells per QUAM... That may be the problem....but frankly, I could give a r*t's a** what the problem is, The fact of the matter is that the Bev and Rogers customers have it and we don't....

Sony 46 Bravia XBR2 , Yamaha HTR5860, Bose Acoustimass16, 8300 HD PVR, Quickview QVX 300 Gig, LRA537 dvd recorder,Oppo DV981 DVD player, Harmony 880
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-23, 03:01 AM

stop being a priisy

yes we are loosing the channel, in HD christ Mike? wanna get picky? we are loosing. right?
post #33 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-23, 03:07 AM

Oh and Mike guess what? I signed up for Hd knowing I was getting that channel. An paying for it as I still am okay

post #34 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-23, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
yes we are loosing the channel, in HD christ Mike? wanna get picky? we are loosing. right?

Well, I am picky and I am pissed off 'cause I also signed up for their HD package only because of discovery HD...The rest was of no interest to me...I signed up the day before they took it out...So I of course cancelled the next day and not a single penny was charged...But now, I understand what you mean...When you signed up (sometime ago) it was presumed that the Discovery HD would be included when it became available and it was....for 3 days....Under that new light, you are right, you should be reimbursed the totality of what you paid as they sold you something with "false advertising"

Sony 46 Bravia XBR2 , Yamaha HTR5860, Bose Acoustimass16, 8300 HD PVR, Quickview QVX 300 Gig, LRA537 dvd recorder,Oppo DV981 DVD player, Harmony 880
post #35 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-23, 04:27 AM

Thanks Michel

Yeah and sorry for getting upset with your reply,
we all understand each other after all. Merci mon ami, est Bonne Annee est Jouex noel
post #36 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-23, 05:52 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel
I fully agree and endorse your post. The point is that we do not know for sure why Videotron took that decision. It seems to me very unlikely that Discovery called them the next morning after they started the service to increase their fees or change the rules....Videotron web page indicated that new service, that new station ( they have now removed it) so I have to presume that an agreement was reached before they started broadcasting it...
The DiscoveryHD, channel # 664, has always been part of package "HD Extra". The change that took place was from Discovery... instead of the odd HD format from time to time for their programs, this week they started supplying Videotron with HD 24/24. (Some programs shown recently, we had viewed them before).

Videotron, on the other hand, demonstrated its resistance by not putting up the new IPG for that channel which Rogers did, in their case.

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371
post #37 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-23, 05:56 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rse
I know that in the process of broadcasting a channel the is also some company who ask to have a certain amount of the bandwith, i think it's possible that discovery has not incresed the price but the demand of bandwith to Videotron

If Videotron can't provide it they can have to remove some other channels so maybe it is better for the customers to lose 1 channel then 2 or 3 other
Channel # 664 was already supplied in excellent Mbps bitrate. That did not change and when we started getting the 24/24 HD programs, everyone was pleased with the picture quality. The bitrate is there and that is not the problem.

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371
post #38 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-23, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah and sorry for getting upset with your reply,
we all understand each other after all. Merci mon ami, est Bonne Annee est Jouex noel
That is OK, no problem Judge... I actually like hot tempers, they are more interesting LOLOL.... Joyeux Noël and happy new year to you too...

post #39 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-23, 06:58 AM

Not sure if it was there before but Videotron's website does not list DiscHD in their HD channel line-up.

Time to write the CRTC. There's gotta be some regulation against doing this without reimbursing the client. We should all do this....strength in numbers!

EDIT---> Just noticed this was posted in French forum. Apparently the channel was removed from the site yesterday.

Last edited by dynot; 2005-12-23 at 07:18 AM.
post #40 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-23, 12:46 PM

From Vidéotron:

Nous vous remercions d'avoir pris le temps de nous écrire.

Nous avons été informés que suite à la modification du service haute définition effectué par le poste Discovery, nous devons présentement retirer ce service.

Notre service haute définition est un des moins chers actuellement disponibles. Les frais de location par canaux facturés à notre clientèle sont moins élevés qu'ailleurs.

Les nouvelles exigences du poste Discovery HD nous oblige actuellement à retirer ce poste de notre programmation haute définition. Nous ignorons pour le moment quand ce poste sera de nouveau offert et à quelles conditions de location.

Nous avons toutefois noté votre intérêt pour ce poste.

Le poste Discovery analogique et numérique demeure toutefois disponible.

Nous vous remercions de votre compréhension.

(I removed her name)
Services administratifs Vidéotron
[email protected]
Notre site Internet : < http://www.videotron.com >

Montréal : (514) 281-1711
Québec : (418) 847-4410
Chicoutimi : (418) 545-1114
Hull : (819) 771-7715
Sans frais : 1-877-380-2511
post #41 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 08:46 AM

Angry Head for the grey market

Investing in high definition in Canada is a very expensive proposition indeed.

If you take into account our current tax load and the very high cost of equipment (+CAN$ exchange rate)... to also have to deal with internal squabbling over the availability of high def signal in such a relatively small market is simply disgusting. (The entire Canadian population barely matches the population of the state of New York).

This sickening state of affairs overseen by an incompetent C.R.T.C. is another fine example of the abuses, over-taxing, bait and switch scams we have always complacently dealt with and will continue to deal with because we are a lame uncomplaining, docile bunch here.

Just drink that @$#n MooseHead and put on your stupid winter hat

Season greetings to all
post #42 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 09:28 AM
Veteran

Pronut,

For your post # 6, are you trying to impress us with a philosophical report on the state of HD in Canada? Do you have an agenda?

To start with you live in what City (should be added in your profile by clicking "User CP" on the top menu bar)

Then if your signature file contains your STB make and model, we can usually figure out who your provider is.

As for the DiscoverHD situation, we will see if you are in the Videotron/Shaw group of clients who feel cheated, or, the Rogers/Bell group who still have DiscoveryHD but may be facing a possible monthly charge in the near future.

As for the CRTC, sure you can put blame there like many others do. But to my knowledge, DiscoveryHD is a specialty channel not available OTA and a provider can elect to offer it or not just like the PlayBoy channel. It's a business decision on the part of the provider and it's an option for the client when it is offered. Or, are you suggesting that the CRTC should specify what channels providers are to carry? Should we elect federal candidates who propose that the Government, through the CRTC, nationalize all cable and satellite providers that cover Canada?

I am very disappointed for the lost of DiscoverHD from my provider Videotron. But I recognize it's a business decision. My own recourse is very limited because I have over $1,200 invested in 2 cable DVRs. However, my HD present situation is immensely better than in September 2002 when I took delivery of my HDTV and had ExpressVu installed so that I could get their demo channel with some travel tours of Europe in an all day loop.

post #43 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pronut
Just drink that @$#n MooseHead and put on your stupid winter hat Season greetings to all

Your profile doesn't say where you're from but now that I know what kind of beer you are drinking, gives me a good hint lol Merry Christmas to you too

post #44 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfabien
Pronut....However, my HD present situation is immensely better than in September 2002 when I took delivery of my HDTV and had ExpressVu installed so that I could get their demo channel with some travel tours of Europe in an all day loop.
Well, of course, reaction to Videotron's decision can vary depending on the interest for such a channel an individual has or, as yourself, where he came from since the purchase of his HDTV. Of course, looking at it that way, the availability of HDTV programming has improved a lot since 2002...This being said, I totally disagree with you when it comes to the CRTC...I too, feel they do a poor job. First, as I understand it, they have no standards established for the quality of broadcasting forcing providers of service to maintain a certain level of quality by limiting the compression level they can use. Secondly, when they give a licence such as the one Discovery got, it should be to make that station available to all Canadians through either satellite or cable service. That licence wasn't granted as a private internal circuit, it was granted for general public and yes, they should force all suppliers to offer it but every provider should be able to get it for the same conditions, same price etc....Then, what the providers want to do with it, offering it as part of a package or individually for a fee, or even free as part of their basic service is up to the providers themselves.
Why I feel it should be like that ??? Simply because cable service is an exclusivity for a given region...The usual laws of free market business do not hold true here and that is exactly why the CRTC should force every provider to offer a channel that was granted a licence for public programming...I would agree with your position if I had a choice of cable providers. Then, if I wasn't happy with the selection of Videotron, I could decide to go with Cogeco...but I cannot do that...If I could, then free market business decisions would hold true. In this case, it doesn't and that is why CRTC has to be there to insure every canadian has access to the stations they gave a licence to....

post #45 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-24, 10:29 AM

hi Mfabien,

...back in 2002, HD was a mystery to most and it's no surprise that your situation today is better than back then....so, with all due respect, it's irrelevent.

...more disturbing is the fact that people that bought equipment lately when videotron had great HD and sound from Detroit and promises were flying all over for the "upcoming" 16:9, dolby 5.1 rush of HD channels...

One would expect a rapid increase in quality and content...but hell NO....it's the opposit....

...Sherbrooke lost PBS, everyone loses DiscoveryHD, degraded signal from Buffalo....loss of 5.1 dolby sound....when is this downhill crap gonna stop...

....and mr. Pronut, we're just a tiny bunch here complaining and screaming out loud, but soon the masses will get screwed and very dissapointed by Videotron's HD and only then will these bastards will give us "early adopters" some satisfaction.

....this is the way Videotron says thankyou for investing our money and trust in them....

....sheesh...I think I'd rather deal with the competitor's billing problems than this....just don't give them automatic access to your bank account and deal with the bill when it comes in the mail....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in