HD Discovery was short-lived on Videotron :-( - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-21, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james99
Cogeco has it as well, but we also had the other one. On another note, if the free preview goes until the summer how can Videotron be charged for it now?
Good point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-21, 07:53 PM

I emailed Vidéotron today. Here is the email (sorry I gotta get going so I can't translate but most of you I know understand french) No matter what Vidéotron says, having a good documentary channel among all those "while you were out" and "hot rod" type shows is important to me.

Bonjour,

J'aimerais que ce message se rende aux gens qui s'occupent de la sélection des chaînes à Vidéotron. je voudrais obtenir une confirmation SVP. Je suis très déçu de la décision visant à retirer la chaîne Discovery HD (haute Définition) de la grille illico HD. Je parle au nom de plusieurs amis et collègues.

Depuis 2 ans, la chaîne conventionnelle de Discovery ne présentent plus que des émissions de grosse bagnoles modifiées, de Hot Rod , de qui fait la plus grosse machine et de bricolage.

Or, la chaîne Discovery HD présentent plus de documentaires.

Pour ma part, je suis abonné au service de téléphonie, internet et télé numérique. Je songe à transférer tous les services vers un fournisseur qui offre Discovery HD dans sa grille. je serai peut-être le seul à agir de la sorte. Seulement, vous avez d'autres clients qui apprécient les documentaires de qualité, surtout lorsqu'ils sont présentés en haute définition.

J'espère que quelqu'un aura l'obligeance de m'expliquer la raison du retrait de la chaîne Discovery HD après seulement 2 jours d'existence.

Merci
post #18 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-21, 09:26 PM

Does anyone have addresses or names to contact

I am willing to write or call in my complaint. Can anyone here submit valid addresses or names of people to contact regarding this matter.

thx

Panasonic Plasma (2008), Denon 1600, Energy Take Five, SA 3100HD, Panasonic RP82

post #19 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-22, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocha
I am willing to write or call in my complaint. Can anyone here submit valid addresses or names of people to contact regarding this matter.

thx
The web address where you can send them your comments:
https://www.videotron.com/services/s...o?lang=ENGLISH

To write to Discovery: [email protected]

You can also write a formal complaint to the CRTC...

Sony 46 Bravia XBR2 , Yamaha HTR5860, Bose Acoustimass16, 8300 HD PVR, Quickview QVX 300 Gig, LRA537 dvd recorder,Oppo DV981 DVD player, Harmony 880
post #20 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-22, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh
Michel, no exclusive however, recall that Discovery HD is owned by CTV Specialty Network which in turn is owned by BCE. BCE owns ExpressVu.

This is a win-win for Bell.

If CTV sells Videotron Discovery HD at a high price, they make off like bandits. If they don't sell the people may switch from Videotron to ExpressVu. Either way Bell wins.
Hello Hugh...

I, for one, am definitely not a BCE fan, or anything to do with Bell. I unsubscribed from Bell phone, I disconnected Sympatico because it was unreliable, and ExpressVu satellite is just awful, and customer service is awful to boot.
If Bell thinks selling Discovery HD at a high price will win back customers from Videotron, they got another thing coming from me. It will make me dislike Bell and their business practices even more. And it definitely will not make me want to switch back to them. I'd never go back to Bell. They are an awful company.
Bell should do the right thing and sell Videotron the rights to broadcast Discovery HD at a reasonable cost. Perhaps there's a reason why Bell is losing so many customers. They think about the bottom line only, and not the interested viewer. And in the end, its the consumer who loses out.
I have already written Discovery HD, and will be writing the CRTC as well. Hopefully enough people will write in and get this decision changed.
post #21 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-22, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan1020
will be writing the CRTC as well. Hopefully enough people will write in and get this decision changed.
My basis of my complaint to the CRTC is that they gave the licence to Discovery for that channel and they should make sure it is available to all canadians, regardless of the supplier....

Sony 46 Bravia XBR2 , Yamaha HTR5860, Bose Acoustimass16, 8300 HD PVR, Quickview QVX 300 Gig, LRA537 dvd recorder,Oppo DV981 DVD player, Harmony 880
post #22 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-22, 10:08 AM

I too am very, very disappointed by this decision from Videotron.

However, let's be realistic: the provider of a service, such as Discovery, can charge what it wants for its service. The distributor, such as Videotron, can either offer the service separately after marking it up, or as part of a bundle on which they include a profit.

The real issue is whether or not we want to buy the service for the price it would be available at. This is where everybody needs to balance greed and reason.

In this specific case, I think Videotron might have overreacted to a demand it has received from Discovery. When it comes from Bell, even indirectly, they tend to overreact. I do not think they would have aired the new HD signal at all had they known the price hike beforehand.

IMO, the things to do are:

1. Ensure with the CRTC that Discovery is not overcharging Videotron compared to other distributors such as Rogers or BEV

2. Ensure with the CRTC that Videotron fully complies with all the "must carry" rules for Discovery HD, if any

3. Given the above 2 are met: get Videotron to at least offer us the option to pay for Discovery HD.

My 2¢.

Paul.
post #23 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-22, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynot
It is practices like this that encourage piracy and I for one won't blame anyone who does.
There is never an excuse for stealing satellite signals and promoting it on these forums will get you banned.
I'm fully aware of the posting rules here and carefully choose my words to abide by them. Show me where I promoted this and I'll retract my statements.

The point I made is that these practices encourage piracy. Don't criticize me for making a statement which attempts to explain this activity.

The fact that I wouldn't blame someone who does this is of personal ethical choice. I believe Bell induldges in unfair business practices and therefore have no sympathy for them for whatever reason. That's why I switched to Videotron and yet, they still found a way to stick it to me!

So if you want to ban me let's call it like it is and blame my complacency as opposed to promoting illegal activities.

Now...if I had said everyone should do this, that's another story.

For the record...I'd rather be discussing the topic of this post.
post #24 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-22, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbir
I too am very, very disappointed by this decision from Videotron.
IMO, the things to do are:

1. Ensure with the CRTC that Discovery is not overcharging Videotron compared to other distributors such as Rogers or BEV

2. Ensure with the CRTC that Videotron fully complies with all the "must carry" rules for Discovery HD, if any

3. Given the above 2 are met: get Videotron to at least offer us the option to pay for Discovery HD.

I fully agree and endorse your post. The point is that we do not know for sure why Videotron took that decision. It seems to me very unlikely that Discovery called them the next morning after they started the service to increase their fees or change the rules....Videotron web page indicated that new service, that new station ( they have now removed it) so I have to presume that an agreement was reached before they started broadcasting it....Acting otherwise would be to say the least very unprofessional....What I am pissed is that we do not even have the option to take it, whatever the cost. Rogers offers it , so does Bev (of course) and for the people that already had the regular Discovery, there is no extra cost....I have the regular discovery and yet, they were forcing me into a HD package that I didn't need or want but I couldn't care less since I wanted Discovery HD... What I say is at least offer it, no regards to cost....Right now, we do not have that option. There is something Videotron is not telling us...I sure hope they won't do the same when National geographic will come out with their HD channel next january...

post #25 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-22, 04:14 PM

Well put, Michel.

Is it possible that Videotron is waiting for the NG HD channel in the hopes that they can offer both as a package? From what little I've seen of DiscHD and the SD channel of NG I would most certainly pay an additional fee for this pair.

Makes no business sense at all that Videotron wouldn't offer either channel. Based on the reactions on this forum it looks like the demand is there. Maybe I'm just an optimist but this would lead me to believe that eventually these channels will be available to us.

Last edited by dynot; 2005-12-22 at 04:24 PM.
post #26 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-22, 04:33 PM

pardon my igorance Dynot but what is NG HD?
Never mind i figure it out National Geo

Jean Claude
post #27 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-22, 06:46 PM

Videotron is now saving money

Well all said and done, I understand videotrons dilema, but. This is a big BUT. They signed a contract with us. Period, no questions. We are paying for that service. If it is no longer viable to provide that service they should reimburse us each (the ones that are paying for that channel), all the money that they are saving by not paying it to Discovery.

We are still paying for it after all.

All the best and a merryxmas. I will be writing the crtc!
post #28 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-22, 07:46 PM

this is another reason to hate bell, I got half my fellow workers to switch from bell and go videotron internet,phone,illico because they(bell) are such control freeks ,just put out a good reliable product at a fair price and mabey then we'll think about bell. I can't believe I may move next year to a complex that does not allow videotron this action by bell makes me want to stay where I am.

Panasonic VT-60,LG 55LW5700,Playstion TV, Fibe Pvr+wireless,YAMAHA RXV-467, .HARMONY 520,XBOX360#5+HD-DVD.PS4
post #29 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-22, 07:55 PM
Digital Sage

Now, if we had the real version of this channel, it wouldn't be controlled by Bell.
post #30 of 125 (permalink) Old 2005-12-22, 09:21 PM

What about the bandwith

I know that in the process of broadcasting a channel the is also some company who ask to have a certain amount of the bandwith, i think it's possible that discovery has not incresed the price but the demand of bandwith to Videotron

If Videotron can't provide it they can have to remove some other channels so maybe it is better for the customers to lose 1 channel then 2 or 3 other

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in