8300 (all versions) updated to SARA 1.88.14.3 today - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 2005-12-09, 08:34 AM

Anyone test the kick-out bug yet?

I got the update but haven't had a chance to test it out. Aside from the 4xFF and the bug fix, what else does this upgrade do for us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 2005-12-09, 08:47 AM

That's fantastic. I will truly appreciate this. When you are recording a show, say 1/2 hour into it, you select the show and it will give you the option to start from the beginning. No re-winding. The irony is that you probably won't use the 4X as much as you think. Also the analogue channels are supposedly improved picture quality. I can't say for sure.

The wait is over.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 2005-12-09, 08:48 AM

I had the upgrade in St-Basile as of yesterday evening. the new 4xFF is great. I haven't had a chance to test the no-kick-out feature yet. I echo dynot's question, what else is new with v 1.88?

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 2005-12-09, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

hi,

....the Kick-out issue is fixed for me at least...done numerous tests yesterday and it hasn't failed once.

Apart from 4x FF-RWD, we seem to have:

The options to return to Live tv when viewing a recording.

SAP second voice channel.

4 day menu instead of 3 (new?).

Hard disk sleep at around 1:30 am

Ability to find a show in alphabetical order (using more than 1 letter) in the videotron special menu by selecting "A".

Ability to choose external front video source (not tested).

...and a negligeable bug in scrolling recorded shows with slightly un-synched columns.

...whatelse...?
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 2005-12-09, 12:28 PM

Great recap, captqbec. Thanks.

I noticed the scroll bug as well.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 2005-12-09, 02:05 PM

The hard disk spins down about 2 minutes after power off.

And the 4-day listing has been there since october. See this thread:
http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ad.php?t=31470
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 2005-12-09, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestman
And the 4-day listing has been there since october. See this thread:
http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...ad.php?t=31470
Indeed.

SA8300HD, Panasonic TH-42PX600U Plasma, TH-42PWD8UK Plasma, PE7700 HD2+ projector, Denon THX Ultra HT gear
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 2005-12-09, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

hi bestman,

...yeah, you're right about the 4 day menu part but...no spin down after 2 minutes here...can you give some precisions, if possible, how you accomplish this? thx
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 2005-12-09, 08:44 PM

Well, I just made sure that my 8300SD was not recording, then pressed power tu shut it down. EXACTLY 2 minutes later, I heard a click, then I heard the HDD spin down. That's it.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 2005-12-10, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestman
Well, I just made sure that my 8300SD was not recording, then pressed power tu shut it down. EXACTLY 2 minutes later, I heard a click, then I heard the HDD spin down. That's it.

....well, my 8300hd doesn't spin down at all...when shutting down the machine, the head stops it's seeking-read-write activity but the platters are still spinning, all the time non-stop.

...some difference from the 8300HD and 8300SD maybe?

anyone else have comments on this?
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 2005-12-10, 08:56 AM

Confirmation of no kick-out

I can confirm that my 8300HD no longer throw me out at the end of a recording I happen to be watching. It also has a new menu option Play From Beginning.

I've also noticed an improved picture quality, not only on live SD but on recorded ones as well. Plus, the de-synched lines when scrolling through the list of recorded programs does occur, although it's very minor and only seems to happen when scrolling changes certain digits.

One other thing I haven't thought to check but have wondered about is the possibility of recorded all first-run new episodes of programs. I noticed that awhile back when reading the 8300HD manual from the Scientific Atlanta web site but Videotron's implementation doesn't have it. Anyone know anything?

Regards,
Steve
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 2005-12-10, 09:15 AM

[QUOTE=SteveT
One other thing I haven't thought to check but have wondered about is the possibility of recorded all first-run new episodes of programs. I noticed that awhile back when reading the 8300HD manual from the Scientific Atlanta web site but Videotron's implementation doesn't have it. Anyone know anything?

Regards,
Steve[/QUOTE]

Steve a whole lot of us wish to have that feature on our DVR unfortunetly Videotron tech did not tell me if or when this option will ever make it back to our dvr

J Claude

Jean Claude
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 2005-12-10, 09:22 AM
Veteran

Both my 3200 and 8300SD boxes re-booted at exactly 5:30 AM this morning. I guess that was a forced re-boot from Rogers after the update.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 2005-12-10, 12:16 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewdc
I guess that was a forced re-boot from Rogers after the update.
This is a Videotron Thread. Rogers has not supplied the firmware update (at least I haven't received it or heard about it).

BTW, my SA8300HD HDD does power down after a few minutes, however it also comes on occasionally, or stays on. Sometimes I hear no HDD activity, other times there is activity, even when not recording - during the day, so it's not a firmware download, but it could be IPG information I guess - perhaps an updated programme. The IPG is stored on the HDD.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 2005-12-11, 11:32 AM

j'ai remarquer une lenteur sur mon 8300HD quand je vais dans list, quand je fais la fleche bas ou haut j'ai une lenteur que je n'avais pas avant et meme je peux remarquer un "glitch" dans le centre de la ligne comme si le coté gauche voudrais dessender plus vite que le coté de droite.

J'ai remarquer ce meme probleme dans la liste des programmations

Sinon super mise a jour pour le 4xFF !

Aussi le bouton "Video Source" quand je suis sur mode CBL, et que je tiens pendant 2 secondes j'ai un AUX: Sources auxiliaire quelques choses comme sa, est-ce possible que l'entrer RCA sois activer ?!?!

SA8300HD,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in