Videotron Telephony in Gatineau (Update: now available) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 2005-10-06, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Videotron Telephony in Gatineau (Update: now available)

Just wondering if anyone is waiting for Videotron Telephony in Gatineau? And if you are, do you have any information (other than what is on the website)? Heck I will even take a rumour at this point. All I can get from Videotron is "it is coming soon".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 2005-10-06, 10:16 AM
Member #1

Jake, typically they announce via a press release which usually makes it to DHC's Digital News.

Keep checking those headlines on the right of the forum home page or in the Digital News section!

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 2005-10-10, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

1000 Canada/US minutes for $10

I just noticed they added 1000 Canada/US minutes for $10. Previously they offered it for $5 then withdrew it. Even now at $10 it is a steal compared to Bell POTS. Now the wait begins.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 2005-11-19, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Just spoke with a Videotron field tech today and he said circa next summer (2006) for telephony service in Gatineau. The issue according to him was they needed to upgrade or install (I forget) gel packs in the 'nodes'. Excuse me if my terminology is wrong. These fridge sized units must sit somewhere in your neighbourhood and will run for 12 hours during a blackout according to him. This backup is in addition to the UPS Videotron supplies with each cable/telephony modem. He also mentioned something about hydro and digging permits. I guess some component must be subterranean.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 2006-08-09, 11:44 AM

Videotron Cable Phone in Gatineau

Does any one have any news on when the service is suppose to be extended to the Gatineau area for the Videotron Cable Phone service. I was previously told July but that hasn't happened. Gatineau is the only other major city who still does not have service.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 2006-08-09, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Nothing yet. Have you supplied Videotron with your phone number and email address and asked to be informed when the service is available?

You can check the service status here.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 2006-08-09, 02:51 PM

I have entered my info but wondering if anyone had insider info anywhere. I even called them and asked and all they said is not yet.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 2006-09-22, 08:12 PM

Updates

Has anybody heard any updates on this. We are one of the few to have the new Videotron cell phones but still no Cable Telephony.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 2006-09-23, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Still waiting patiently here. I hope it is before the end of the year.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 2006-10-04, 11:24 PM

Smile Coming in Mid-November

Well, I finally got some news. Apparently this will be coming in in Mid November. This is news from Videotron service themsleves. Hopefully this really is the case.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 2006-10-07, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Yes good news. I have been comparing to Primus TBB and was about to pull the trigger. Looks like I will sit tight for another 2 months. Hopefully there will be no install backlog. I signed up to be notified a long time ago (when they started in Montreal).
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 2006-11-02, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

It is here!

OK I just was tipped off by Mart in the French forums that the telephony service is now available in the Gatineau region. I called and scheduled an appointment.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
OK I just was tipped off by Mart in the French forums that the telephony service is now available in the Gatineau region. I called and scheduled an appointment.
Please let us know how the install goes and your feedback on the service. I heard praises and horror stories (such as phone rings randomly but nobody is on the line).
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 2006-11-08, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Next week is my install. I am getting my number ported and it takes a little longer than a new number install. I'll let you know how it goes.

Quote:
such as phone rings randomly but nobody is on the line
That happens now with my Bell service. My cellphone too.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 2006-11-13, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Well it was installed this afternoon. No trouble other than I was porting my number and it was the first one the tech did so it took a little longer than usual. He also added a second jack in my basement so I could use the house wiring.

One second I had Bell landline the next I had Videotron telephony. Pretty slick. Total of 11 days from the time I called to the service. So far no trouble other than I have received 4 UNKNOWN NAME calls. I will give it a day to see if they stop and if not give Videotron a call.

I just halved my phone bill and I have the exact same number of minutes and calling features Woohoo. Just wondering when Bell will come a calling.

Also, the caller ID name appears and ours is sent right out of the box. Lets hope the service is rock solid. I have made a few calls and I cannot tell the difference. Neither could the other party I talked to.

Oh and I got a new cable modem to boot. My original one was 6 years old.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in