PVR 8300HD failed after one week - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2005-09-16, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

PVR 8300HD failed after one week

I was watching a show live not even recording something and it just went dead no more signal nada...
i saw the boot sequence...i pressed power after that but nothing not even the time display...Thats a quality product my friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2005-09-16, 09:05 AM
Member #1

Yes it is a quality product.

The reality is that even the best engineered and manufactured products fail occassionally. When sophisticated electronics fail, they typically do so in the first month or two.

Failures such as yours are NOT common but they do happen. This doesn't mean its a poor quality product, it just means that you were unfortunate.

The good news is its under warranty and because you've only had it a week, you'll get a new replacement.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2005-09-16, 09:30 AM

What steps did you take to correct the problem other than press the power button?

Remove the power cord for a minute and plug it back in. Don't press power. Leave the machine for 10 minutes and then try to power it on. There is also a sequence to force it to download the firmware. You will have to find it in the FAQs forum.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2005-09-16, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

yeah i unpluged it but i didn't leave it for 10 minutes...had to get to work i will try to work something out with videotron after work
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2005-09-16, 10:24 AM

Often, the problem lies with a poor firmware upgrade. The technical support at Vidéotron will help you force a firmware download. If that doesn't fix the problem, they will replace your unit.
Sometimes, even out of warranty, that could happen, and if enough people complain, Vidéotron will replace the unit. That has happened in the past with my SA 2000.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2005-09-17, 11:00 AM

Red face 8300HD replacement

I also had to get my 8300HD replace after only 3 weeks- the harddrive/recording stopped working.
Called and a technician came the next day to replace it but brought the wrong model (an 8010HD) - you have to insist in the same model on the phone as Videotron as the 8010HD and 8300HD are under the same inventory number - they physically have to open the box to see what they are bringing.
[As I had purchased my 8300HD at Future shop, I wanted to keep an 8300HD not an 8010HD].

Also, as I was still within the 30 days (when the harddrive failled) of owning the unit, I elected to take the extra 2 year coverage for $99- just to make sure, I keep my investment. You may want to consider this option.

It has been 3 months - and my new unit works flawlessly.
Good luck,

the duke
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-02-18, 09:47 PM

Frozen

My 8300HD has been great since November. Suddenly yesterday it froze when I clicked "play" on a prerecorded programme while 2 others were being recorded. It had worked fine before. I did a hard reboot twice and finally cancelled one of the recordings. This time it worked. Tonight the same problem returned. When I dropped one of the recordings in progress, I was able to get the recorded programme. I hope it's just a computer glitch rather than a real problem.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-02-21, 08:15 PM

More frozen episodes today! I called Videotron and tried various boots here and there. The freezing happens when I try to watch a recorded programme, but the stb sometimes works after a fresh hard reboot. It happened about 15 times today, even when I was on the phone with Videotron. They're sending someone to check or replace my 8300HD. I'm worried a new stb may have other problems (based on people's experiences on DHC).
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-02-21, 08:51 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Make sure they check the signal strength while they're there. Also make sure that your various connections are secure.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-02-24, 09:43 AM

Hurray!

The night before the technician was supposed top come I checked the STB to see if anything had changed. Wow! It worked perfectly. Nothing froze even though I gave it a real workout. I cancelled the technician and asked if they had done something at their end to fix the problem, but they said nothing had been done and no upgrades were done to the system. I hope it lasts.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-02-24, 09:57 AM
Member #1

vaudry, thanks for the update and good luck!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2006-02-24, 10:40 AM

My first one lasted about 3 hours before dying completely. No power, no nothing.

Sony KFE42A10 - Pioneer VSX-919 Receiver - Hi-Def HTPC (Blu-ray & HD DVD combo drive) - Pioneer BDP-320 Blu-ray player

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in