Bad wifi, bad router? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2019-02-17, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Bad wifi, bad router?

Hi, I have just installed hybrid 400. However, I only get 250 upstairs and not even 70 in bedroom. Could I just buy a powerful router to replace videotron one? I have tried both 2.4 and 5.0 without better results really

Any router suggstion? I am willing to spend up to 200$

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2019-02-17, 09:17 PM

Not too much detail on your configuration and what your seeing these numbers on.
Do you have a hard wired PC to your router? What does that say in a speed test?
What type of wireless client device is connecting to your router and what are the supported capabilities of the client wireless device? 802.11 bgn ac

Allen...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2019-02-17, 10:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
However, I only get 250 upstairs and not even 70 in bedroom.
That's not unusual with wifi. Wifi speed depends on the wifi capabilities of the router, wifi capabilities of the device, distance to the router, number of walls and other obstructions between the device and router, the type of building construction and local interference. There is a lot of information missing regarding types of devices, distance, number of walls and floors, distance to the router, how the speed was measured, etc. Speed is not that much of a concern unless faster speed is required for the tasks being done. The main concern is that the speed is adequate for the task requirements. 250Mbps or 70Mbps is adequate for most tasks like web browsing, steaming video, texting, emailing and playing games.

Assuming the devices are capable of higher wifi speeds, a wired access point placed in a central location should make an improvement. How to improve wifi speeds is a frequently asked question on this forum and has been answered a number of times. Many people think that just because they have gigabit internet or a router that claims a high number like 1.9Gbps or 3.2Gbps that they will get gigabit speeds over wifi. It doesn't work that way. Those are theoretical maximums under ideal conditions. Real world results are always slower. 250Mbps is a good speed for 5GHz wifi under typical conditions.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2019-02-18, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

the reason why I think this Videotron router that is bad is because I have been with Bell fibe on 300mbps without any drop in the past, even outside the house! The router was installed at the same place, which is in the basement and the room with the highest signal drop is on the opposite corner on the main floor.

I am even tempted to install my old Apple airport extreme and using my old airport express upstairs to extend the signal

on a side note, when I stand at 20 feet from the router, I get wireless speed of 450mbps using speedtest.net

thanks for the help
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2019-02-18, 09:02 PM
Veteran

Different makes and models of routers will perform differently, especially on wifi. In particular, some will perform significantly better as the signal degrades due to distance and obstructions. The Airport Extreme may outperform the Videotron router, especially if it is located in a better location. The basement is probably the worst place to locate a router but it's often done by installers due to logistics.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in