DVI activation SA8000HD - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-08-30, 08:12 AM

Thanks mfabien...

Unfortunately, I have the completly black screen on my Toshiba. I just tried plugging a old pc with the dvi-to-hdmi cable but got nothing on screen (might be a question of resolution)

Guess I'll have to try a few things to see what is the culprit: the tv, the cable or the box!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-08-30, 08:30 AM

For those of us with Toshiba and Samsung HDTV's built prior to 2004 (if there are other makes, I don't know which) our TV's HDCP is version 1.0. In the 1.88.11.2 version the HDCP version is 1.1.

Mine is a 2005 Samsung HLR-6178 with 1.1. I have a HDCP handshake problem, so it may not be a version issue only. The only thing I just thought of as I type this is I did not power down my TV. I did power down the SA unit. Do you think this would have an effect? Anyhow I'll try it tonight and see.

Also that "play from beginning" while recording is soooo appreciated.

Last edited by gary; 2005-08-30 at 08:33 AM.
post #93 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-08-30, 09:57 AM
Veteran

Gary,

Yes, you should try the Power on sequence of TV first and STB/DVR second.

Upon trying, using the above procedure, if you have a black screen, then there's a problem with the DVI cable connection. If you have a bright Grey screen with no broadcast, then you have an HDCP problem.

Keep in mind that Samsung as with Toshiba's are more prone to this HDCP handshake problem than other makes. So, if it applies, e-mail Videotron as indicated.

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371

post #94 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-08-30, 10:16 AM
Veteran

As for the improved PQ in both HD and SD, I'm told that it may be due to the new ATI DRIVER = 2.1.14.112.

Do others agree that the PQ is better now? Is it only me?

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371
post #95 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-08-30, 05:21 PM

Quebec City

Quebec City
My SA80000 terminal upgraded yesterday for the SARA 1.88.11.2. When I tried to connect the TV (Daytek 32p. LCD), there was a lot of "hesitation"
* first the terminal sent a message that the TV was not DCHP compatible ( not true !!!!, the TV is DCHP OK)
* then the terminal blocked the DVI output (acces denied)"

But after a while, the Tv and the SA8000 "decide" to work together. I had to spend a lot of time to ajust the screen format (on the SA8000 and on the TV); now, the screen format is OK, according the channel selected

But there is still some bug that must be fixed:
* on most (not every) channel change, I have a short non lasting message (2-3 sec.) "DVI output blocked"
* some remote function ( on play back of recorded shows) are blocked by then terminal (like fast forward)

Dyno
post #96 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-08-30, 07:24 PM

Tried everything to get the DVI to work. Power up/down change cables - nothing. I re-booted the 8010HD and it worked. My DVI is active,but I have the same bugs as Dyno. 2-3 second DVI warning. Will study if quality has improved.(If that's possible on HD)

Almost there!
post #97 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-08-31, 05:11 AM
Veteran

Dyno and Gary,

I hope you will advise Videotron of this lack of HDCP stability by sending an e-mail as indicated in a previous post.

In the meantime, my suggestion is to change the "Set Picture Format" in General Settings from "DVI/HDMI AutoFix" to "Fixed". This will provide more stability during FF while viewing playbacks of recordings. You can change the Format in Settings to view SD, when required, which will limit the annoying HDCP handshake renewal.

If the problem persists, you could use a cable splitter to connect one cable to your TV antenna input and view SD with the analog signal (bonus = a better picture). Of course you will need to use the digital SD channels via the SA8010HD for recordings and playbacks.

post #98 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-08-31, 08:32 AM

Well I'm back to component. For fun I went to see if the component output was active (I left it connected) in conjunction with the DVI. It was active. I went back to DVI, and the HDCP warning was back. I didn't re-boot. I will try to re-boot and diconnect component to see if it stays, but will contact Videotron anyway as Michel suggests.
post #99 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-08-31, 03:48 PM

Time for my report...

Was able to get DVI functionning last night... seems like I have to be very careful on how the wire gets connected to my TV (got an hdmi connection)

Got the HDCP message a couple of time... As for image quality, I tend to evaluate it as slightly worst than components on my set... or it might have been artifacts on the baseball game last night... Anyways, the details/flaws seemed more pronounced (or grainier?) using DVI, so I'm back using components for now...

There was also random hot pixel on the screen, don`t know where they are coming from as I don`t have anything else with a dvi/hdmi connection...

LP
- - -
Videotron SA8010HD on Toshiba 51HX84

Last edited by Tenshi; 2005-08-31 at 10:43 PM.
post #100 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-08-31, 04:00 PM
Veteran

Tenshi,

Would be nice to have your TV's Make, model and type in your signature.

post #101 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-09-01, 12:29 AM

DVI a no show

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlevesque
[edited]
I just chatted with tech support at Videotron. He told me to inform all users of version 1.88 that have problems with DVI to contact them through phone support or chat, not email.
Just tried the DVI and got the guide display with the message about DVI/HDMI blocked. Rebooted the 8010HD, connected in different order, still the same. My Samsung DLP ws made in October 2003, so it looks like I have the HDCP version 1.0 problem. The DVI input works fine with the Samsung DVD player I got with the TV.

Seems the only solution is a firmware update in the DLP, if possible. Otherwise this TV is stuck in the dark ages for any current device with DVI.

Panasonic TC-P50V10, SA8000HD, OPPO BDP-83, Yahama RX-V863
post #102 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-09-01, 06:25 AM
Veteran

Fussy viewer,

Last week, I was told that Videotron engineers advised my CSR they will make an attempt this week in fixing my HDCP handshake problem. This came as an immediate reaction to sending to my CSR copy of an e-mail reply from Digital Content Protection which said that there could be compatibility problems between version 1.0 and 1.1 of HDCP (1.1 released June 9, 2003 to correct errors in 1.0).

If this becomes successful, I will post here accordingly. If not, I have an alternative plan.

Remember this, it will be important to get the DVI/HDCP to work because we are using a STB/DVR that is HDCP compliant. As such, when the Broadcast Flag gets implemented, whenever a Broadcaster has given a 30 day advanced notice to the FCC of its intention to downrez, then those using a Component connection from a Compliant STB will see the Picture Format change from HD to SD for that flagged program. And I don't expect that living in Canada and using Videotron as a provider will provide any kind of umbrella against the Broadcast Flag.

Also, those with a working DVI connection, be aware that you should adjust your Picture settings under your TV's Picture Menu. As a start, I would suggest you copy the settings you presently have under the Component input. Factory settings are usually extreme as far as Contrast and Brightness.

post #103 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-09-01, 06:37 AM
Veteran

Originally Posted by dlevesque

I just chatted with tech support at Videotron. He told me to inform all users of version 1.88 that have problems with DVI to contact them through phone support or chat, not email.

If one must phone, I suggest that be done after 4:00 PM. The CSR's knowledgeable with the DVI issue start at that time. Most daytime CSR's must get answers from others and very little if anything gets resolved. In fact some statements made are erroneous. Rebooting the DVR or receiving a software update will not impact the recordings one has on the HDD. But a reformat of the drive will.

Most e-mail messages are handled by the experienced CSR's but I guess they are getting swamped right now with the DVI issue.

post #104 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-09-01, 08:56 AM
stx

I don't know why but I'm still at 1.87.16.a2... I tried a reboot this morning and 1.88 doesn't load. I'll send an Email to Videotron.

By the way, my TV is a Toshiba model 34HFX83. It is a 2003 model purchased in 2004. How do I know if HDCP is release 1.0 or 1.1??
post #105 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-09-01, 09:52 AM

Poeple who have the 1.87.16.a2 like me will not receive the 1.88 automatically like others , they will have to force it manually into it and can only be done during the day shift, that is what Steve Lemelin from Videotron told me last night on the chat support.

Samsung PN50A650,LG FA-2100,Sony PS3, Channel Master 4228HD combined with Wade Yagi 5y13S.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in