DVI activation SA8000HD - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-04-01, 10:48 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_
Whatever. Videotron has been saying 30 days now for over a year. Its a lost cause...
Lost cause?

The Broadcast Flag will start only later this year, so, what's the problem?

If you go the Scientific Atlanta's Explorer Club at:
http://www.scientificatlanta.com/exp...ub/default.asp

At the end of FAQ's you will find HDTV FAQ's and there you can read:

"Q: When will the DVI port on my Explorer 8000HD be activated?
A: The software which will activate the DVI port with HDCP is currently being tested. It will be made available to cable operators upon completion of the testing. This software will be automatically downloaded to your set-top by your Cable Operator. Expected availability is mid-2005."

As you can see, the activation is something that must be initiated by Scientific Atlanta, tested by Videotron and, when the two parties are satisfied, then the cable company sends the update over the cable. We do know that DVI is now active on SA8000HD in Texas, upper NY State and elsewhere.

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-04-01, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfabien
Lost cause?

The Broadcast Flag will start only later this year, so, what's the problem?

If you go the Scientific Atlanta's Explorer Club at:
http://www.scientificatlanta.com/exp...ub/default.asp

At the end of FAQ's you will find HDTV FAQ's and there you can read:

"Q: When will the DVI port on my Explorer 8000HD be activated?
A: The software which will activate the DVI port with HDCP is currently being tested. It will be made available to cable operators upon completion of the testing. This software will be automatically downloaded to your set-top by your Cable Operator. Expected availability is mid-2005."

As you can see, the activation is something that must be initiated by Scientific Atlanta, tested by Videotron and, when the two parties are satisfied, then the cable company sends the update over the cable. We do know that DVI is now active on SA8000HD in Texas, upper NY State and elsewhere.
They told me the same story last year..now its 2005..and soon 2006..so nobody knows.
post #18 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-04-01, 12:16 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfabien
We do know that DVI is now active on SA8000HD in Texas, upper NY State and elsewhere.
Rogers Toronto for a couple of months or so... I find this a bit interesting because we were a bit behind Videotron when it comes to SA8000HD features for a long time. Also you had the unit long before us....

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)

post #19 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-04-02, 06:14 PM

Hello All,

I too have been waiting for Videotron to activate the DVI port, but the last email correspondence I had with them left me with some hope of impending implementation.

"Regarding the DVI port, we don't have an activation date yet. We hope to be able to do it this summer."

Summer is so short in Canada that it can't be long now! Right? Right??? Anyway, it's kind of frustrating when the cable company across the river has it activated and I'm left using... ugh... component! :P

Gatineau, Videotron: SA 8000HD, Sony KP-51WS510, Yamaha RX-V596, Marantz VC5400, Axiom Epic Master, Energy C7
post #20 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-04-02, 08:23 PM

But the issue here is really what will be the difference in quality between component and DVI? 5%, 10% max? barely noticable if your already using a high end 16:9 TV.
post #21 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-04-02, 09:16 PM
stx

It is the pass-through mode I waiting the most for but since it comes together with the firmware supporting DVI, I'm impatiently waiting for this upgrade!
post #22 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-04-02, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx
It is the pass-through mode I waiting the most for but since it comes together with the firmware supporting DVI, I'm impatiently waiting for this upgrade!
The pass-through does what exactly? what benefit?

Thanks
post #23 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-04-02, 10:19 PM

Quote:
But the issue here is really what will be the difference in quality between component and DVI? 5%, 10% max? barely noticable if your already using a high end 16:9 TV.
Raven: You're right; however, in my case it's not so much the desire to have marginally better video quality as the fact that my TV has two component and one DVI inputs and I'm tired of swapping my DVD player and PS2. (GT4's fault.)

STX: When I asked Videotron about the passthrough option they said,

"We suggest that you set the Explorer terminal to the native resolution of your television, 720p or 1080i. That way, you'll get an even better picture than if a passtrough option was enabled. We were told that Scientific Atlanta was not able to activate the passtrough on the PVR terminals."

Once again, tech support proves to be neither technical nor supportive. Anyone else care to comment?

Gatineau, Videotron: SA 8000HD, Sony KP-51WS510, Yamaha RX-V596, Marantz VC5400, Axiom Epic Master, Energy C7

Last edited by Bonehead Inc.; 2005-04-03 at 09:50 AM.
post #24 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-04-04, 09:11 PM
stx

Quote:
The pass-through does what exactly? what benefit?

Thanks
This has been asked many times on this site... Basically the Illico box won't change the resolution originally set for the specific channel you selected. If a channel is 480i the TV will display 480i (so TV stretching will work), if a channel is 1080i the TV will display 1080i so the best picture quality will be seen.

Right now you have to set the Illico box to a specific resolution and it can only be changed manually. Passthrough mode will provide this automatically as you change channels.
post #25 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-04-05, 06:44 AM
Veteran

Quote:
The more important aspect of having an activated DVI is for an HDTV owner, who uses an HDCP equipped STB/DVR, to be compliant with HDCP, at the receiving end of the HDCP circuit, so that when a Broadcast Flag is present (could start later this year) to have the display remain in HD picture format.

Note: Some consumer groups have brought the case of HDCP and the broadcast flag to court and this is currently in the Appeals Court. If the Appeals Court rules against the FCC, the case may reach the Supreme Court or Congress will legislate clear and more specific powers for the FCC. In my opinion, there is little doubt that HDCP will remain and the Broadcast Flag will come about.

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371
post #26 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-04-14, 03:42 PM

Just had a conversation with technical support and the fellow, who appeared knowledgeable, said that their plan is now to implement DVI (and passthrough) in June of this year. Their testing likely found bugs which they need SA to fix, although he did not say that.
post #27 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-04-14, 05:17 PM
Veteran

You must be right because Videotron support committed to give me advance notice that DVI would be activated on SA8000HD by April 15 and therefore having no news at this time (April 14) demonstrates that there is a delay.

post #28 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-04-14, 07:41 PM
lpr

I was told it would be around the first week of Mai...
post #29 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-04-15, 05:27 AM
Veteran

Having DVI active on the SA3250HD since a long time, one would think that the compability issues with the different makes of HDTV would be resolved by now.

post #30 of 165 (permalink) Old 2005-04-15, 05:07 PM

Cool What a joke ,(ca se peut pas)

They told me DVI would be activitated also in May ,only problem is that it was in May of 2004 .
They really have no idea what they are doing and they say anything that passes through their head at the time.

I do have a feeling it will be this year ,but i would not bet on it

Pierre

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in