DVI activation SA8000HD - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #151 of 165 (permalink) Old 2006-02-11, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephrich1
HI

After ten's of test with videotron my front projector Sharp DT-400 does not handshack with my 8000PVR trough DVI.
I'd suggest you run the 8000HD's setup wizard through component out and check the HD mode(s) that your projector supports, don't forget to select the desired picture mode (Pass-thru or Upconvert1/2 should do). Then try connecting the projector and the STB using DVI cable. Turn the projector on first and then the STB. I remember having a bit of a difficulty using DVI out of 8000HD prior to configuring it this way... Oh yeah, don't forget to disconnect the component out of the STB when you're using DVI out. But then again, I'm with Rogers, not Videotron

I also hope your projector's DVI input is HDCP-compliant, 'cause if not you may be out of luck...

Last edited by testikoff; 2006-02-11 at 10:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 165 (permalink) Old 2006-02-12, 06:21 AM
Veteran

Testikoff,

Regarding your post tell us you have a working DVI, please advise the make and model of your TV.

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371
post #153 of 165 (permalink) Old 2006-02-12, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfabien
Testikoff,

Regarding your post tell us you have a working DVI, please advise the make and model of your TV.
I did have it working with both TV's digital video inputs: DVI & HDMI (have already returned the 8000HD unit back to Rogers though; using 8300HD currently). The HDTV is Samsung LT-P326W.

post #154 of 165 (permalink) Old 2006-02-12, 11:23 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by testikoff
I did have it working with both TV's digital video inputs: DVI & HDMI (have already returned the 8000HD unit back to Rogers though; using 8300HD currently). The HDTV is Samsung LT-P326W.
Since your Plasma has both HDMI and DVI, it stands to reason that your HDCP is version 1.1 which was introduced in June 2003 (HDMI was introduced with version 1.1 of HDCP).

Our problem is with HDTVs that have a DVI input as the only digital input and the HDCP version is 1.0.

Thanks for your comments but your case does not apply and, more importantly, does not resolve our HDCP handshake problem.

Samsung LN52B750, SVS PB12-ISD, Harmony One, HD-A1, BDP-1400, Oppo DV-970HD, Yamaha RX-V371
post #155 of 165 (permalink) Old 2006-02-12, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfabien
Since your Plasma has both HDMI and DVI, it stands to reason that your HDCP is version 1.1 which was introduced in June 2003 (HDMI was introduced with version 1.1 of HDCP).

Our problem is with HDTVs that have a DVI input as the only digital input and the HDCP version is 1.0.
My TV is actualy an LCD flat panel, not a plasma
Not sure if my TV's DVI/HDCP input specs somehow are dependant on its HDMI input specs though (considering that DVI is a legacy digital video interface). All I can say, using DVI output on 8000HD was a bit tricky, but it worked after all (at least for me).
post #156 of 165 (permalink) Old 2006-02-12, 02:13 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephrich1
I want one 100% functionnal with every output I would like to use.
So would all of us, however, the functionality is limited by the firmware (for example firewire is not active). Also no Service provider officially supports DVI or HDMI. They only officially support component video because it works on all TVs.

There are simply too many variables for them to support HDMI/DVI officially. You may wish to continue to debug yourself. I'm actually surprised they spent as much time as they did.

Most cable companies simply say. We support CV...

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #157 of 165 (permalink) Old 2006-02-12, 05:24 PM

"Also no Service provider officially supports DVI or HDMI. They only officially support component video because it works on all TVs. "

Sorry but I cannot disagree more with you on this . If you don't support it don't sale it or at least let the people know before they buy and don't let them find out when they tried using it.

Hopefully they will find a solution. I invest ten's of thousand in my theater and want to use what's is best in my electronics component. So the DVI output shoud work with every HDCP compliant component no matter what as long as it is....
post #158 of 165 (permalink) Old 2006-02-12, 05:33 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
You may disagree, but it will not change the service providers' policy.

They sell/rent lots of stuff that doesn't have various things "working".

There are IR ports, there are card slots, there are USB connections, there are firewire ports, etc. There were even "record to VCR" and SATA functions (on the SA8300HD) that were not originally enabled.

I hope you find a solution too, but the service provider doesn't have to help you find that solution, since component video works fine.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #159 of 165 (permalink) Old 2006-02-16, 06:23 PM

Any of you with the problem tried with a 8300 instead with HDMI-DVI conversion?
post #160 of 165 (permalink) Old 2006-03-16, 07:48 PM

Exclamation SA8000HD still not working

Well i have te Hitachi 51 UWX20B and as of last night the dvi connection is still not working i get an error saying that the dvi/hdmi output is blocked Videotron does not know wat is wrong and told me that it must be the dvi cable. I had a DVI-D cable tried a DVI-I cable still the same. Called Hitachi the tech needs to verify with head office which dhcp version i have and get back to me but he says that Scientific Atlanta has some sort of special menu that can be access and tat maybe something in that menu needs to be activated

If someone has a clue or a fix to that problem i would appreciate

Alain
post #161 of 165 (permalink) Old 2006-03-17, 06:08 AM
Veteran

Apilon,

The Hitachi DVI (DVI-D) cannot get a handshake with the SA8010HD or the SA8300HD (via HDMI/DVI) cable. It is one of several HDTV makes with DVI input which cannot make the handshake with the SA DVRs.

At this point, the Videotron engineers have tried everything with me, using instructions from Scientific Atlanta. My SA8010HD was even downloaded with a temporary program to capture data while the connection was being attempted. Some 5 other clients participated in the same test as well.

The fault is not with your DVI-D cable. If you make the connection again, you may press "Guide" or "Settings" or access the diagnostic pages or even press "PIP" and in all instances you get data from the STB/DVR. What you are not getting is broadcast Video and sound because the HDCP card in your TV is version 1.0 and it cannot get a handshake with the SA's version 1.1. It could work with the SA3250HD or even a Motorola DVR but not with your present one.

post #162 of 165 (permalink) Old 2006-03-17, 04:53 PM

Mfabien Thanks for the info

now i weill stop trying to figure out a way to make it work. I was one of the 5 participant in that test. funny thing is that it work during that test for some reason but they then updated something in the box and it stopped working

oh well ....will wait until i decide to buy a new tv
post #163 of 165 (permalink) Old 2006-03-18, 11:16 AM

MFABIEN

I received a call from a Hitachi tchnician yesterday night named Kevin ,

He confirmed that DCHP is 1.0 but that it is backward compatible with 1.1 so therefore it should be abe to receive the signal from the sa8000HD .. So why is Videotron unable to get it to work is a mystery according to him and suggested that i contact Scientific Atlanta directly. I went to their website but the redirect you to your cable provider for technical support.

funny thing is that when this tech from videotron called for tat test in which they loaded up a program to record data the dvi worked until they decided to upgrade the terminal with a new version of the operating system then when it rebooted the signal disappeared
post #164 of 165 (permalink) Old 2006-03-18, 02:28 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by apilon
MFABIEN

I received a call from a Hitachi tchnician yesterday night named Kevin ,

He confirmed that DCHP is 1.0 but that it is backward compatible with 1.1 so therefore it should be abe to receive the signal from the sa8000HD .. So why is Videotron unable to get it to work is a mystery according to him and suggested that i contact Scientific Atlanta directly. I went to their website but the redirect you to your cable provider for technical support.

funny thing is that when this tech from videotron called for tat test in which they loaded up a program to record data the dvi worked until they decided to upgrade the terminal with a new version of the operating system then when it rebooted the signal disappeared
Following is a copy of an e-mail received last year from Digital Content Protection LLC, the people reponsible for HDCP:

Quote:
Thank you for your email. Please read the response we received from our technical contact below.

The Rev. 1.1 Spec was an update to fix errata in the 1.0 Spec which could cause compatibility problems between even 1.0 and 1.0 products. Furthermore, interoperability testing was in its infancy so even if 1.0 products interoperated in a particular instance, there is no guarantee that either of them were compliant to the spec. They may have both made the same but incorrect interpretation of the spec. Release 1.1 clarified much but there have been further errata in 1.1 that have been identified and published. The short answer to your question is yes, it is possible that you are seeing a 1.0 and 1.1 interoperability problem.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask.
After the test, which necessitated temporary operating system software, what you had before that download was sent once again to your STB/DVR. If you had a temporary handshake with the test system it was insufficient. I trust you had advised Videotron accordingly.

post #165 of 165 (permalink) Old 2006-03-19, 12:57 AM

yep i did and they basically told me that they have exhausted all resources and i either need to upgrade my TV or stck with component ..

i chose the second option for now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in