illico 4K UHD discussion - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 2016-05-09, 01:12 AM
Rookie

Unhappy Illico 4K PVR Major audio issue

I have had a new Samsung 4K tv model 8500 for a month and as soon as I started to use it I had moderate to major audio lag where the audio is delayed slightly or a lot compared to the video. I have been through the wringer with Videotron support and they say I need to wait for a firmware update on the PVR with no idea if or when this will get resolved. Anyone else having audio issue or any solutions. I need help as this is driving me crazy when the audio gets way out of sync.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 2018-06-23, 10:43 AM
Rookie

Videotron's 4K terminals - how are they?

The 2 Videotron 4K terminals you can get right now are the Technicolor non-PVR, and the Samsung PVR. There used to be a Technicolor 4K PVR, but it was replaced by the Samsung. If you've used either of these, how was it? Slow, glitchy, noisy? Someone wrote in a forum on Videotron's website that the Samsung PVR is noisy - see here. Is it?

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2018-06-23 at 11:02 AM. Reason: moved to existing thread
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-02-22, 06:31 PM

Last night I exchanged my Cisco 8642 HD PVR for a new Samsung 4K Ultra HD PVR 10455HD, which I connected to an 8 year old Sony Bravia 55" TV. At first the image appeared to be brighter but after a closer look at peoples faces, it looked like the people had makeup smeared across their faces because there was very little variation in colour and density in the skin tones. Today I called Videotron tech support and they confirmed that there were no configuration errors in my PVR setup. I asked if Samsung used a different algorithm to convert the compressed data stream arriving via coax into HDMI 1080i delivered to the TV, versus the similar method used by Cisco, and no opinion was offered. I was told to go find another household with the same Ultra HD terminal connected to a non Ultra HD TV and see if the quality was the same. The Samsung is definitely faster stopping the live action when I press the pause button, but I am not sure if the Samsung is giving me the same definition that the older Cisco gave. Unfortunately I returned the Cisco on the same day I picked up the Samsung, so I can’t do a side by side A-B test to compare image quality. One would expect that an Ultra HD terminal could do a better job of passing 1080i content through it compared to a non Ultra HD terminal.

Montreal

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-02-22, 10:48 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Each device is different when connected to a TV. Although many variations were eliminated with HDMI, there are still differences that require an optimization of the TV, input and device. See:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-...-new-hdtv.html

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-02-24, 03:04 PM

Thanks 57 for your suggestion. It has been 17 years since I tore into the service menu of a HDTV, at the time one of Sony's last 220 pound CRT chassis. On my current Sony 55" flatscreen, there is not a lot of tweaking that can be done via the user menu. What I plan on doing is recording a live show in HD (like the Oscar presentations) on my Ultra HD PVR and then bring the PVR to my neighbour's house to see if the image appears on his TV with the same compression issues.

Montreal
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 2019-03-06, 09:09 PM

I have to admit that my Videotron Samsung Ultra HD PVR is looking better now. Once a live transmission like the Oscar awards comes down the coax, the facial details and color tones definitely improve. I may also be benefiting because of a software update which may have taken many days to get downloaded into my factory fresh unit. No regrets switching from Cisco to Samsung.

Montreal

Tags
4k tv

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in