Building a pvr for videotron digital tv - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-01-30, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Building a pvr for videotron digital tv

I want to build a pvr which would record digital tv from videotron. I'd like to know if its possible and which kind of capture card could i use.

Thanks
Vincent Carrière
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-01-31, 08:50 AM

Location: Montréal: Akai PDP4273; Bell 6131, Xbox 360, Philips Soundbar
my PVR

Hi Vincent

I built a Windows Media Center 2005 PC with Extender for my Videotron digital cable. It was relatively inexpensive.

A summary of costs:

MCE2005 OS: $200
Remote control (with controller for Illico box - optional if you are using analog cable): $55
ATI eHome Wonder video capture card: $110

That's the basics you need, plus DVD software (which I already had). You can install it (not upgrade) any modern computer - 2.0 Ghz or above. I have an AMD64 and it works flawlessly.

I also bought (from Ontario - the French version isn't released in Quebec yet) the Xbox Extender for $99 from Future Shop. I had an Xbox in the living room already so it was an easy upgrade. It connects to the computer in the office and you can watch TV on demand, along with live TV to pause, etc.

They also offer a Linksys Extender for the living room for about $300. Note you need a network connection (wired or wireless) to the computer with the software installed.

Your hard drive may play a role too - one half hour of recording on the best quality is about 1.5 gb. I leave it down on level 2 (of 4 levels) and 30 minutes is about 800 meg.. not too bad.

I'm completely addicted to it - changes the way you watch TV forever.

Fairly inexpensive and you can probably use the computer you already have.

Craig in Montreal
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-01-31, 01:29 PM

/onstupidquestion

Why not just get the SA8000 DVR? What are the benefits of building your own?

/offstupidquestion

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-01-31, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynot
Why not just get the SA8000 DVR? What are the benefits of building your own?
Not sure what Vincent's reasons are - but mine were for the geek factor. It can be updated dynamically with software updates (don't have to wait for Videotron).. you know the box inside out.

Plus I have my Xbox set up as well to play everything on demand. I have all my videos, dvd's, music on the large hard drive in the office and I can just choose what I want through the interface. If I download something, it's instantly available in the living room. Don't have to waste burning a DVD - just play it over network cable. Plus I can watch and record TV.

Homebuilt PVRs can do a lot more than the Videotron one.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-01-31, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

So basically i still need the receiver to get the video and there is no stand alone card that yould enable me to get rid of the receiver.

Last edited by [email protected]; 2005-01-31 at 08:31 PM.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-01, 08:56 AM

No, I'm afraid not. For digital it has to be authorized by Videotron to decode the signal.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-07, 11:31 AM

craigstar, i guess you use the ir blaster to change the channels on the illico box? how about setting up things to record like on a timer, will it work through MCE or do you have to set the time? reson i ask is because if mce gets the program guide through the regular cable the channels have different numbers on the cable box

Last edited by ibanez78; 2005-02-07 at 11:50 AM.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-07, 03:18 PM

The MCE box downloads the programming from Zap2It's database (www.zap2it.com). You can specify if you have analog or digital (illico) when you set it up - so it knows if you need the analog or digital Videotron guide. It's postal code specific. Technically the guides for BEV, StarC, Look are there too. Even over the air including the Vermont and NY channels.

To schedule, you simply call up the guide (very similar to the Illico guide) .. click the select button and tell if you want a one time recording or record all episodes in the series. It sets everything for you automatically. The cool thing about it is if your computer isn't being used after the recording ends, you can put your computer in suspend low-power mode and it will wake itself up for the next recording. It's very cool - I've ended up in the morning with stray episodes of the Simpsons or Will&Grace that came on at 2:30 in the morning!

Yes it uses an IR blaster connected to the computer and to the Illico box to change channels.

C.

Last edited by craigstar; 2005-02-07 at 03:20 PM. Reason: spelling error
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-07, 03:37 PM

thankyou
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-07, 04:06 PM

craig,

If I get this
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...uctCode=320832

is this enough with MCE2005 OS?

also, where do I get the IR blaster?

and what do you mean by:

"Remote control (with controller for Illico box - optional if you are using analog cable): $55"

The remote thats comes with the illico box? what's the controller?

I guess you don't record HD yet right?

Thanks and sorry for the questions
Raven
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-08, 10:29 AM

Hello..

I've never tried the Sapphire Theatrix Theater 550, but if you google it - it says it's compatable with MCE 2005. The key to selecting a tuner card is it has to have MPEG2 encoding built directly on the card. I have an eHome Wonder made by ATI - but they apparently discontinued the card in January.

Other cards that work well are the Haupauggae 150MCE and PVR 250/350 which get good reviews. Also the ATI All-In-Wonders with numbers in the 9000's work as well. There is a hardware compatability list on Microsoft.com which will show you all the cards.

The remote is this: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ture=Microsoft

It's $48 from a company in Vancouver which is where I ordered mine. It arrived next day! They say it requires a system purchase on their website.. but that's not really 100% true - you are required to buy additional hardware. So maybe you could pick up your tuner card at the same time, or even a network cable. This is a Microsoft thing.

It's not really about the remote. Take a look at this 2004 model (don't order this one, it's more expensive anyway): http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=PHILIPS

You will see what comes with the remote. The IR blaser connects to the IR receiver of the remote which connects to your Illico box.

HD does work, yes. However, I'm too poor to invest in HD now. If anyone would like to donate a new HD plasma/LCD to me, please send me a PM.

You will need a HD card, such as the HD Wonder which can be ordered from the States, there are other options - but I can't intelligently speak on it as I haven't researched it much. After I get that plasma maybe I will......

Unless your computer is in the same room as your television, I highly recommend getting one of these products:

Xbox Media Center Extender: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...=&newdeptid=15

Linksys Media Center Extender: http://secure.ncix.com/products/inde...acture=Linksys

These connect your computer to your television. I have the Xbox one and honestly don't know how I'd live without it. It was $99. I do know for a fact that these do NOT support HD. Keep in mind they are version 1.0. Version 2.0 (and a free update is coming out for existing users of both) should be out before the end of February.

The coolest thing about the Extenders is that you can have multiple in your house. Your computer becomes a media server and you can watch your recorded TV on any number of extenders.. so your TV in the den accesses it, your TV in your living room... possibilities are endless - only limited by the horsepower of your computer and the network connection speed (go wired, it'll save headaches with wireless).

I bought the OS from the same company too: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ture=Microsoft

Craig

Last edited by craigstar; 2005-02-08 at 10:45 AM. Reason: spelling error
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-08, 10:59 AM

Don't forget with the HTPC that you are converting the MPEG2 data to analog component then converting it back to digital and re-encoding it on the fly as MPEG2. It is not going to be as clean as an 8000 or 8000HD which makes an exact audio/video copy of the datastream. Plus with an HTPC the audio goes through the same digital to analog to digital conversion and you downres to 2.0 audio.

There are benefits to an HTPC but for me quality is my number one concern. Given the fact that Illico does not start out with high quality encodes I would be nervous about adding another DAC step.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-08, 11:23 AM

Can someone please help me understand these home unit PVR's.

Do you have to watch TV on the computer screen? Or does it tie back into your TV set???

Cheers
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-08, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1
Can someone please help me understand these home unit PVR's.

Do you have to watch TV on the computer screen? Or does it tie back into your TV set???

Cheers

The above mentioned Extenders allow you to watch anything recorded on any television in your house. You can network multiple extenders and watch different recordings at once. The Extender is connected to the computer via network cable, or wireless network. You do not have to sit in front of the computer - I hardly ever see my computer in the office now that I can access it from the living room.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-08, 02:09 PM

Hi Craig,

Thanks for all this great info. My miniPC is beside my TV (its a HTPC) but currently not running MCE2005.

Beside the remote, usb receiver, tv tuner/capture, OS, what else do I need to control (By IR) the illico box so media center turn it on/off, etc.

or do I have everything I need?

Thanks!
Raven

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in