Building a pvr for videotron digital tv - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-08, 02:20 PM

Location: Montréal: Akai PDP4273; Bell 6131, Xbox 360, Philips Soundbar
The only thing I can see is your output to the television. Not sure of your video card output - but you may need output cables.

Also you need DVD playback software installed on the computer - even if you don't watch DVD. The MPEG2 playback uses the codec from it. I've tried WinDVD 6 and nVidia DVD and both work fine for me.

In earlier versions of MCE the order you install the software, drivers, etc was more of a big deal. However in 2005 they have streamlined it a lot. When I had 2004 it had to be OS --> Tuner card driver --> DVD software which is fairly logical. If you do decide to install it, I'll try and help you with that as it can be time consuming.. but perhaps you're also a techie..

C.

Last edited by craigstar; 2005-02-08 at 02:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-08, 08:29 PM

Hi Craig,

The output to TV is already taken care of. I have an DVI output on the back my card and is connected to my HDTV. Looks great!

so I'm almost there...just need the remote, ir blaster, OS and Capture card
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-09, 10:00 AM

Craig,

When everything is setup, how do you go about to have the TV guide show up on your PC and media center? does it support videotron? and is it free?

Thanks
Sylvain

post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-09, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_
Craig,

When everything is setup, how do you go about to have the TV guide show up on your PC and media center? does it support videotron? and is it free?

Thanks
Sylvain

Hi Sylvain,

You can just press the green button on the remote and it will ask you what you want to do... start your TV, recorded TV, play a DVD, pictures, etc... there are also hundreds of customizations for it you can download.

Once you select My TV, you can browse the guide - which looks quite a bit like the Videotron one - with the little live TV in the corner and everything. And yes, it supports Videotron guides without flaw. The guide is even more detailed - tells you if it's a rerun, original air date, etc. It also downloads 2 weeks at a time.

Also you can go into "My Movies" it will scan the guide, download the box covers for all the movies and show you when they come on. It's quite cool.

C.
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-09, 01:46 PM

Hi Craig,

That sounds amazing! this will bring new life to my dormant HTPC setup

As far as the IR blaster that controls my illico box, is this included in the microsoft media center remote kit? or do I have to buy an IR blaster from somewhere? if so, let me know which one

Thanks again
Sylvain
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-09, 03:09 PM

The IR blaster is included with the remote kit - it's plug and play, no drivers or software needed either.
post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-09, 03:16 PM

Thanks Craig,

everything is on order from ncix.com

Can't wait!
Cheers
Sly
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-10, 01:05 PM

Smile Geek Factor

All I have to say!! You gents will get me a very big fat divorce. I was totally geeked out with my computer (water cooling and all). Then much to the displeasure of my boss I went and got a HDTV dlp2+. Now I am reading this forum. I might loose the HDTV in the divorce geeking a PVR. Thanks for nothing ;-)
post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-11, 09:06 AM

You're welcome. I'm still waiting for that free Plasma TV PM....
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-15, 12:07 PM

craigstar i have a ?. How are you getting the video into your computer? are you using s-video cable? if so how is that captured on your pc?
thanks
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-16, 10:02 AM

I'm using composite I'm afraid The eHome Wonder I'm using has a beakout box with all the inputs, including RGB and S-Vid..

What inputs does your card have?
post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-24, 01:04 AM

Just wanted to write and say i received my media center remote a few days ago and now i'm recording stuff all the time. I had problems getting the ir blasters to work on my pace 550 box but i ended up using a remote for the old SA box to learn the codes. The quality of recording looks just like it does with live tv. I pray that one day there will be a component input or dvi input video card supported by media center
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-02-24, 09:31 AM

hey thats great to hear!

You may be interested in this: Microsoft released yesterday their Remote Record. You install a little plugin on your computer, and then you can remotely schedule recordings using your passport account. It's free and very very very cool. Has all Videotron listings in it.

Take a look at: http://tv.msn.com:80/tv/rr/RRSetupFromEmail.aspx

Also saw that Tiger has a cool package now too with the software and remote: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...5&sku=M17-7508

Last edited by craigstar; 2005-02-24 at 11:03 AM.
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-08-29, 09:01 AM

Recording 2 programs simulanously

Does Windows Media Center support recording 2 programs at the same time ?
Would we need 2 Videotron Terminals to do this ?
post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 2005-08-29, 03:00 PM

Yes, you just need to add a second tuner card in the computer and a second digital terminal from Videotron which will incurr an additional monthly fee (around $2) from Videotron for the additional box. The newer remotes have two IR blasters so you would just attach that one to the other terminal. You also need the same model of terminal for the second - or it has to be able to understand the remote codes at least of the first terminal.

I've seen hacks that allow up to 4 tuners installed on the same computer.

Craig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in