Videotron does not want to yield to the pressure of its competitors - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-11-08, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Videotron does not want to yield to the pressure of its competitors

Here is an interesting article from Le Devoir newspaper on Videotron and their strategy of not matching the promotions of other providers such as Bell so they can direct their attention to “customers that will allow them to increase their profit margins”.

It means Videotron is more interested to acquire or retain customers with at least 3 services with much more emphasis placed on Telephony, Internet and Wireless. Cable TV does not rank high in this strategy they do mind conceding market share to Bell and other providers.

This finally confirms that Videotron will always be a laggard in HD offering and have more expensive pricing of TV services compared to their competition.

Le Devoir original article link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-11-08, 06:58 PM

After months of operating without cable at all (antenna was fine to my wife and I), we finally accepted a promotion with Bell Fibe for cable, telephony and Internet in April. To say the least, the service has been absolutely excellent and I'm surprised at how many high-definition channels I have. Much of these channels are STILL not in HD on Videotron. Knowing that Videotron has no intention of competing gives me no reason to trust them with anything but mobile.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-11-09, 08:31 PM

That is a very interesting article expressmoria.

I kind of got that feeling Videotron was focusing more on mobile,telephony and internet. These 3 services are cheaper than Bell's.

TV with Videotron is more expensive though.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-11-14, 06:10 PM

You forget to mention that Bell does however force you with Fibe TV to subscribe to their internet service which is more expensive.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-11-14, 06:26 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-11-14, 06:33 PM

Still very tricky to pull off, and even when you do pull it off there are so many billing errors that occur that it's truly not worth it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-11-14, 08:36 PM

I'll try not to flame the fiber guy but over the years, I have found that Videotron's approach and billing is quite a bit more reliable and straightforward than Ma Bell is

Fortunately for me I have no need for neither of the above but if I had to choose between Vidéotron and the evasive (while at times pervasive) Bell, I'd choose the first for fear of a long time commitment, regardless of how good the technology looks RIGHT NOW.

Going nowhere @ 220 ft
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-11-14, 09:06 PM

I find Videotron evasive and the billing sketchy. When there is a problem with my Bell bill, they will rectify it right away and make me pay the corrected amount. With Videotron, they make me pay the incorrect bill and tell me it will be credited the next month.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-11-15, 06:51 AM

But Videotron does make the correction. It took me years to get back about $9 that Bell owed me.

Phil
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-11-15, 11:07 AM

I've read the complaints here about Bell billing and in general but I can I assure you that Videotron is no Angel. I have had many frustrating converstions with them about their billing and their pratices. Something I have never experience with Bell and I know others who feel the same way.

So much so that I am slowly ditching all their services. I only have mobile left.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-11-15, 12:17 PM

Well, I wrote this before and I will write is again. It is simple economics. Vast majority of Videotron TV customers are francophones. Unlike mobile, telephony or internet, the TV customer base is very much demographic-driven. Increasing service means more investment and more cost. I think Videotron's calculation is that the increase of revenue by adding HD channels is still below the increase of cost. Also, they are enjoying almost monopoly in cable services, even if Bell is slowly chipping on that monopoly.

All in all, I am quite certain that for Videotron, at least for the time being, the status quo is the most profitable state for them. So hey, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Regarding the billing, one pet peeve of mine was that Videotron did not want to give me my bill in English. I asked them several times, each time with the answer that the next month's would be in English but never was. I grew tired of asking and just letting it be, until I moved.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-11-19, 07:27 PM

Alls I know is that, despite the coming HD channels, the moment Fibe TV is available in my area I will switch. Luckily for Videotron, that won't be for another few years (thanks Bell!) or until I move to a place with Fibe.

Sadly, Videotron effectively lost me as a customer (in the future) the moment it became clear they could not or would not compete with Bell in both TV offering and price.

It's a shame; their customer service has always been good to me and the up-time is extremely reliable (my brother got Fibe installed last month; four days later it went down for over 20 hours.. this is worrisome).

However, as noted, Videotron has pathetic HD content (even after the coming increase it will still be far behind Bell), a higher overall price, and Illico 2.0 is slow, buggy, unintuitive and cannot compete with Fibe TV in any way - and it's still a massive improvement over Illico 1.0.

Anyway, enough griping. I'll be with Videotron until I have the opportunity to switch to Fibe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in