Multiroom Installation -19 June 2013- Comments - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-06-23, 05:23 PM

The multi room system using MoCA is already functional with many other cable operators. Not sure why Videotron decided to start developing from scratch code that already exists. I understand that the whole thing needs to be translated in French to comply with the Quebec laws but it will take forever to debug and roll out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-06-23, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

I do not think localization is the issue here. Bell Fibe is also bilingual... Most base software have hooks for localization.

Samsung HL-S7178, Panasonic TCP50ST50, OPPO DV-981HD, PS3 40gb, Onkyo TX-SR674, Videotron 8642HD PVR, Harmony One
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-06-23, 05:53 PM

It's in the same boat with Videotron's IPTV, prior to illico 2.0 there was development of their own IPTV system. It was in a test market for nearly 2 years. They couldn't iron out the issues with it and went with the current iteration of illico.

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-06-23, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

It comes down to how much investment vs return you are willing to make as a company. Bell is country wide with higher revenues and most likely spends much more $ on the Fibe development than Videotron with revenues in Quebec only.

Samsung HL-S7178, Panasonic TCP50ST50, OPPO DV-981HD, PS3 40gb, Onkyo TX-SR674, Videotron 8642HD PVR, Harmony One
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-06-23, 07:44 PM

I just think that Videotron was not willing to invest. They only came out with illico 2.0 because of FibeTV. Videotron surely had the money/resources to do so. BellTV has 2 millions subs in Canada. Videotron has 1.9 million just in Quebec. Fibe TV is being rolled out in just Ontario and Quebec.

In the last spectrum auction, Videotron outbid everyone else for the AWS spectrum. They overpaid for it. It cost them 500 million. And another 500 million for their network. Oh I they want an NHL team...

I beleive Videotron could have had some better by now.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-06-25, 08:57 AM

I agree,

I think it is more they have a "captive audience". Fibe is starting to make a small dent in that, so they are trying to show they are doing something for their customers. But hopefully all these half measures catch up with them
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-06-25, 10:01 AM

For those people that say that Videotron can't match the features of Bell Fibe because of Bell's size should keep in mind that Bell is using off-the-shelf software. MTS in Manitoba has about 100,000 TV subs and has the same features as Bell using the same Mediaroom software.

It sounds like Videotron is using the same platform as Rogers and running into the same limitations.

Admittedly, integrating a TV platform is a complex process and some development for add-on features is required, but the core features are usually limited by the platform chosen.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-06-25, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Dr. Dave,

Reading your post above and also from what I see on the Moca sites, am I to assume that Vidéotron is a long way off (or will never?) before they can offer a true "Whole Home PVR" experience with for example the ability to schedule recordings from any stations?

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-06-25, 11:42 AM

Gillest, Vidéotron probably doesn't have much control over the features. I'm not really familiar with the middle-ware providers for the Cisco/Scientific Atlanta hardware. However, it's not a limitation of MoCA, since MoCA is just the method of communication between the devices.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-06-28, 03:47 PM

The difference with Fibe and Videotron and practically every cable company for that matter is that there are so many different IPTV platforms that are already developed and tested and can be deployed by any IPTV provider who buys the necessary equipment. The downside to this, is that they do not offer as much customization. If you look at Fibe, Optik TV, Uverse etc, the product looks nearly identical but it pretty much works flawlessly.

Cable companies don't really have anything similar. iGuide and Passport are pretty much the only prepackaged solutions that offer WHPVR but they're also outdated as well and don't offer modern features like an HD guide. The only real modern solution is TiVo, but major cable companies don't really like it as they can't put their own stamp on it. Cable companies are essentially forced to develop their own customized solutions, and they simply don't have the same resources devoted to development and testing.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-06-30, 02:16 PM

Gillest, thanks for pointing this out. I've been waiting for the multi-room pvr ever since Videotron first announced it last year saying it would be available in the Fall of 2012. Even though it only has playback capability it is still interesting and the technician is coming today to install it.

Sharp Aquos LC-70LE732U, Pioneer VSX-921K, Videotron x8 PVR, PS3, Wii
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 2013-07-11, 11:24 PM

So I've had the multi-room for almost 2 weeks now and overall I'm pleased. I have two PVRs and now when I enter the list of recorded shows on either PVR it just combines them both into one list. You can start a recording on one PVR and finish it on another. You can give your PVRs a name, so you can tell in the list which PVR a show is from. Each PVR manages it's own set of recordings and the disk usage stats.

Of course, the biggest missing functionality is the ability to set recordings from any connected box. But personally for me the main draw of multi-room is the playback from any box.

Sharp Aquos LC-70LE732U, Pioneer VSX-921K, Videotron x8 PVR, PS3, Wii

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in