Xbox One and Videotron - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-05-22, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Xbox One and Videotron

We know Xbox One will interface with set top boxes. We know that only Comcast has been announced as a provider which will support Xbox One.

Will the Xbox One work with any TV service or will services need to 'sign up' in order to be compatible with Xbox One?

Speculate.... and... Go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-05-22, 09:56 AM

I'm suspecting they will need to sign up. I'm interested to see what happens though as what was revealed yesterday should of been called the Xbox One USA
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-05-22, 10:57 AM

I believe it would be easier for Bell Fibe to interface with the xbox, since they use Microsoft MediaRoom. For Videotron, I suspect they need more work

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-05-22, 10:18 PM

1 Live TV with Kinect navigation, Live TV with OneGuide, Trending, and NFL on Xbox available in U.S. at launch; anticipating global scale over time.

3 At launch, Live TV will require a supported receiver device with HDMI output (sold separately).

Microsoft Press Release.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-05-26, 05:56 AM
Rookie

Seriously I hardly doubt it will ever be supported by any canadian carrier.

Look at the CableCard example, they never made it to Canada, but in the US you can activate CableCard for your HTPC with your cable tv company.

Canadian market is a ogliopoly and compagnies wants to sell you their own "branded" DVR to rip you off even bigger.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-05-26, 09:49 AM
Veteran

I don't think it needs to be supported by the provider, just to support the provider and their hardware/software platform

My speculation is it works through the same connection mechanism that Google TV does.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-05-26, 10:50 AM
Rookie

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-05-26, 11:02 AM

GuizmoPhil, Telus Optik TV is a counterexample. They introduced Mediaroom TV on the Xbox 360 before any U.S. provider.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Half answers!

Illico 2.0 passes through my Xbox One with no problem.

Obviously the One Guide service isn't ready yet, but the Xbox is doing what it's supposed to do in the meantime.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 11:21 AM
Veteran

I can't for the life of me figure out why I would want to have to turn on my XBOX one if I wanted to watch TV. You spend 1 minute fiddling with the remote and 1-2 hours watching. Do I really want/need my XBOX on so I can possibly use voice commands that don't work 80% of the time? I don't see the big deal.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 2013-12-02, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Having used the Xbox One for over a week I can say that commands actually work over 80% of the time. It also provides me much easier and quicker access to my games and apps like Netflix. I don't need to wait for my PS3 to start and for my inputs to change. The Xbox turns on my TV and receiver, controls the volume on the receiver and I can still use my remote if I want. Now it's just way easier and faster to switch from a game to TV and back again, or with Netflix, and never without losing my spot.

Let's not forget the super easy media sharing. I can start a clip on Youtube on my tablet and tell the Xbox to play it (no apps required). The same can be said for any media, on my PC, tablet or phone (Apple TV also does this).

Overall the Xbox One provides a central focus to my home media. My TV experience is identical, except now I can do so much more. And when the OneGuide is activated for Videotron then I'll have absolute power! ... except for PVR functions, I grant.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 2014-10-17, 09:18 AM
Rookie

XBOX is cool but they need to signup for every stuff separately.they should make a single package and give more more services to users for trial

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in