Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 950Q vs Videotron - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2012-07-24, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 950Q vs Videotron

Is there any kind of way to make that tv tuner work with Videotron illico ?

I got an illico HD-PVR on the main tv.. a videotron tech came to my house and ran a new cable to my office room for internet.. then pass 2 more coax cable...

1) goes to the bedroom where its connected directly in my tv and I receive 30 something channel. I don't have any STB or other box between the cable and the tv and it work. I get different channel from my main TV (un-encrypted channel probably)

2) and the tech ask me if I wanted to have another cable for my pc in case i want to buy a tv tuner (which i just did). I expected to get the same thing as in the bedroom..

Result: The Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 950Q won't scan ANY channel.. from scanning a) Digital ATSC , b) Digital QAM , c) Analog TV. (i have once got the Cable #2 Analog channel which seem to be Videotron ad channel.. that the only thing i have seen on my tv tuner so far)

Is there any way i can't make this work ?

Please help me.. i have wasted many hours before asking for help!
Any input are welcome.. thank you very much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2012-07-26, 11:13 PM

I own three USB Hauppauge 950Q TV tuners. I have not used any of them to watch TV in a few years. I use them to record outdoor cameras for security.

So I launched one that was not in use, with both Windows Media Center (WMC) and also the Hauppauge WinTv v7 program. I prefer WMC. I programmed them years ago but I believe I used Analog or Analog Cable settings (can't go back without erasing old settings). I removed all the french channels from the list during setup but I still "today" get all the unscrambled basic channels, not remembering the french ones, I am left with Channels: 3, 6, 11, 13, 18, 21, 22, 27, 36, 37, 39, 40 and 48. WMC is so cool it even detected that a channel had switched position since I programmed it and corrected old channel 43 and placed it in it's proper place on position 40 (one of the PBS channels) . I also prefer WMC because it is more stable when changing channels, it provides FULL 2 week TV Listings and displays channels call letters, and a whole lot more.

Again, long time ago, but I remember that during the setup under Windows Media Center I was asked for my postal code and it then found Videotron as a provider and asked if I wanted Digital or Analog?. You need analog.

You may need to visit Hauppauge's site to check if you installed the system in the right order. They have a type of Clear program to reset everything if you want to start over and make sure.

I wonder if this will help you other than to let you know it works somewhere. I also seem to remember that the "IN" cable to the USB HVR 950Q must come from a splitter that is installed before the Illico box and NOT as a passthrough from the Cable OUT of the set top box itself. I'm a little bit fuzzy on that one. Mine are from splitters. Again, I didn't even remember that cables were plugged into my 950Q cards, I had to check.

Best of luck. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2012-07-27, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thank you very much Golems, very appreciated. I do remember to tell the windows media center to shove his postal code question up is usb port so the system probably tried to scan for analogs channel in africa or something

about the splitters, i'll recheck but it should be fine already. Cant wait to go home and try it!! I'll keep you posted.

Merci beaucoup!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in